Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Larry Murphy can roam free but women can't defend themselves?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Denerick wrote: »
    Ah come on. You don't think thats a bit of an over-reaction? Admittedly looking back my wording was sloppy - I didn't mean to equate the tabloid reading classes with women in general.

My point was that yes, while this is an horrific crime, horrific crimes are committed every day to little or no media spin. For some reason the media have picked up on this and have issued forth a torrent of national hysteria that will die down in a couple of days.

I may well be made out of stone, but its only because these hysterical cases come out of the woodwork every couple of months; stupid old women ring in to liveline saying 'its a disgrace, Joe', and then the world goes back to normal. Only to be awoken some other day by another hysteria-fest that oh-so-conveniently sells newspapers.

I agree with you about Joe Duffy. I have no time for Joe Duffy and the people who ring him either. I never listen to that program.

Yet you and other posters are making out that this is some big fuss that will die down and trivialising the crime in the process. I also find it incredibly frustrating the way you use the whole 'women getting hysterical' 'go back and watch the X_Factor' as a tool to back up your arguments as if, women who are concerned, and who watch the X-Factor style programs, aren't intelligent enough to have opinions that are worthy of your ear. You are coming across as extremely misoginistic and thats quite disturbing when we're discussing the rape of an innocent woman.

I agree with you that the media exploit these cases to sell newspapers.

But I do not feel one bit sorry for Larry Murphy.

it is likely that he will re offend as he has not shown remorse. Apparently, he claimed that the woman was lucky to be alive.

There is nothing wrong with me or anybody else expressing the view that he should not have got out early on good behaviour. I'm not hysterical. I'm simply giving my point of view.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

dolliemix wrote: »
    I agree with you about Joe Duffy. I have no time for Joe Duffy and the people who ring him either. I never listen to that program.

Yet you and other posters are making out that this is some big fuss that will die down and trivialising the crime in the process. I also find it incredibly frustrating the way you use the whole 'women getting hysterical' 'go back and watch the X_Factor' as a tool to back up your arguments as if, women who are concerned, and who watch the X-Factor style programs, aren't intelligent enough to have opinions that are worthy of your ear. You are coming across as extremely misoginistic and thats quite disturbing when we're discussing the rape of an innocent woman.

I agree with you that the media exploit these cases to sell newspapers.

But I do not feel one bit sorry for Larry Murphy.

it is likely that he will re offend as he has not shown remorse. Apparently, he claimed that the woman was lucky to be alive.

There is nothing wrong with me or anybody else expressing the view that he should not have got out early on good behaviour. I'm not hysterical. I'm simply giving my point of view.

I will not deny that I am expressing an essentially elitist opinion. My reference was to bread and circuses AKA X Factor and the like. But it is not misogynistic to say that women are getting hysterical about all of this, especially when they begin to talk about carrying knives with them when they are out and about.

Its nothing at all to do with intelligence; I just think there are far too many people who emerge from the woodwork over things such as this.

The crime in itself is terrible, and I'm not trivialising it at all. But I do take a broader stance on the criminal justice system, as it is usually the exceptionally evil cases that breeds support for tougher sentancing and a less rehabilative justice system. America is a prime example, as they have been locking more and more of their people behind bars (More than any other western country by a country mile), without any meaningful reduction in crime, and by catching low key offenders in the crossfire of their ridiculous wars of hysteria.

So forgive me if I'm not going to drop everything for the sake of one rapist scumbag. My horror at his actions are inherent and thus I don't see any point in voicing much to it. If you want my opinion of how the public deals with perceived threats, look no further than South Park and Chris Morris.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 hopwitch

If it was allowed and I give you a gun will you kill him then or do you prefer other people to do your killing so everyone can stay safe?

but at what point is a persons 'debt to society' considered paid?

I could be a judicial executioner - much as I have slaughtered an animal in order to eat it. I prefer it if someone else kills and prepares my meat, but if I couldn't bring myself to do it, I would be vegetarian. I don't feel that I have the right to hold the opinion that capital punishment is acceptable if I expect someone else to do the deed - I may never be called upon to end someone's life, but I need to feel that if I had to, I could.

"but at what point is a persons 'debt to society
    ' considered paid?

That's the hard one - are some crimes so heinous that they can never be atoned for? I'm inclined to think so - as I'm also inclined to think that those criminals should be removed from the gene pool .... but by my own argument that means that I should also be prepared to pass judgement, to stand by that judgement and to accept that I may play a part in ending an individuals chance to redeem him/her self. I have a feeling that anyone placed in that position who didn't feel the weight of that responsibility, and have daily doubts, would be close to psychopathy themselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭bellapip

WOULD BE......... ###

This is a supposed man, who during his whole imprisonment 10 years and his initial incarceration 1 year, at no point either atoned for his crime or admitted it was a crime.
    He has also shown that he feels no remorse for his family and in fact has shown that he feels eveyone associated with the crime he served time for, has been less than worth his attention or contempt.

This is not a swan song for the divas to climb out of wardrobes, nor is it a call to all the women with a flick knife in their bag, it is simply a wake up call to all the women of this country and to all their daughters, that we allow a scum bag like this have more rights than we have....

THATS A FACT......

Bella

bellapip wrote: »

This is not a swan song for the divas to climb out of wardrobes, nor is it a call to all the women with a flick knife in their bag, it is simply a wake up call to all the women of this country and to all their daughters, that we allow a scum bag like this have more rights than we have....

THATS A FACT......

Bella

What extra rights does he have that you don't?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭trish23

I think the first thing to decide is - do we send people to jail as a punishment or because they are a danger to society? In this case, Larry Murphy is obviously a danger to society & because of this the notion that he has 'atoned for his sins' is not good enough. So he got early release for good behaviour? What did they expect? As far as I'm aware he does not have a record for theft, drunkenness, drugs or violence (except to women). So he's been in prison for 10 years where none of these issues will either interest or bother him but what now? Yes, if I thought he was within 100 miles I would be very worried....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Danniboo wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm sure everyone is as outraged as I am about the release of Larry Murphy on "good behaviour".:mad: It just got me thinking, it is illegal to carry pepper spray/mace etc in this country yet we are expected to walk the streets with this monster roaming around, what are peoples views on this? Do you think women should be allowed to carry this to defend themselves, would you carry it anyways regardless of it been banned?

Well considering there is other such monsters like Larry Murphy out on streets.Its more a matter of vigilance.I think women should be allowed to carry it yes.But then men can also,its a catch 22.Turn it into a weapon.

The tagging system should be put in place,and someone should be informed of their whereabouts so that perhaps a councilor can keep an eye on them.Once a month visit by garda is not acceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

irishh_bob wrote: »
    so if he moved into your neighbour hood , i suppose you,d be inviting him round to a barbacue , you,d be cool with it ?????

Why would i invite someone i don't know into my house ? Are you really that naive to believe what you read ?

I live 2 doors from a convicted rapist who is currently inside,he hasn't raped me,my missus or kids when he was out.What is your point exactly ?

We should all fear what we are told to fear ?
    seriously though , how should we deal with people like murphy

We should convict them and let them to the time our judicial system gives them.After release, it's none of our business.You are coming across as someone who needs to be told who to fear ...We need a radical overhaul of our judicial system, nothing more, nothing less.

Could you imagine a 20 year mandatory sentence for rape.... a 20 year mandatory sentence for vehicular manslaughter ... a 15 year mandatory sentence for manslaughter... a 50 year mandatory sentence for murder....This is what is wrong with our Pos judicial system, not some rapist who you are been led to believe is any worse than any other rapist...

:rolleyes:

d22ontour wrote: »
    Why would i invite someone i don't know into my house ? Are you really that naive to believe what you read ?

I live 2 doors from a convicted rapist who is currently inside,he hasn't raped me,my missus or kids when he was out.What is your point exactly ?

We should convict them and let them to the time our judicial system gives them.After release, it's none of our business.You are coming across as someone who needs to be told who to fear ...We need a radical overhaul of our judicial system, nothing more, nothing less.

Could you imagine a 20 year mandatory sentence for rape.... a 20 year mandatory sentence for vehicular manslaughter ... a 15 year mandatory sentence for manslaughter... a 50 year mandatory sentence for murder....This is what is wrong with our Pos judicial system, not some rapist who you are been led to believe is any worse than any other rapist...

Can i ask you something,is that sentence in relation to Larry Murphy?:confused:

whippet wrote: »
    While this may be the popular belief .. he hasn't been tried or convicted of any other case.

Should he be locked up based on hearsay .... is that what you are trying to justify? The Salom Witch Trial were based on hear say and I don't see history looking too kindly on the society who performed these trial by gossip.

You can be sure the garda investigators are working day and night to try and find a link to other cases with LArry Murphy, but until such a time as something happens and he is charged officially no modern society could possibly lock him up under these circumstances.

Agreed and people speculating can damage any trial (hopefully when they do if he is involved)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

caseyann wrote: »
    Agreed and people speculating can damage any trial (hopefully when they do if he is involved)

Are you kidding me? "hopefully when they do if he is involved"?

In your post you have said speculation can damage a trial, yet you yourself have speculated, in the second half of your post. :confused:

nummnutts wrote: »
    Are you kidding me? "hopefully when they do if he is involved"?

In your post you have said speculation can damage a trial, yet you yourself have speculated, in the second half of your post. :confused:

If they do bring it to trial if he is involved.what you want me to say if he is not involved? I gave benefit of doubt there.Police and FBI are the ones who said he is a suspect not me.

Anyway.He has refused to co-operate for anything.In his statement he said
    Counselling

The DPP was told that Murphy, had shown no remorse. When he was told of how the injured woman was suffering, he replied: "Well, she's alive isn't she?"

(Despite making a number of attempts to question Murphy over the disappearances he has so far refused to cooperate with investigators.

He sounds like someone who doesnt much care about been seen as guilty?
    http://www.herald.ie/national-news/residents-gripped-by-fear-surround-city-halfway-house-2296023.html

If they do bring it to trial if he is involved.what you want me to say if he is not involved? I gave benefit of doubt there.Police and FBI are the ones who said he is a suspect not me.

Anyway.He has refused to co-operate for anything.In his statement he said
    Counselling

The DPP was told that Murphy, had shown no remorse. When he was told of how the injured woman was suffering, he replied: "Well, she's alive isn't she?"

(Despite making a number of attempts to question Murphy over the disappearances he has so far refused to cooperate with investigators.

He sounds like someone who doesnt much care about been seen as guilty?
    http://www.herald.ie/national-news/residents-gripped-by-fear-surround-city-halfway-house-2296023.html

You said "people speculating can damage a trial". Yet you speculated. That's what I'm saying.

I'm not here to defend the guy. He should have gotten a lot longer than 15 years, and served a lot more than 10.

But he didn't. He is now a free man. Let's just hope the Guardaí will be keeping a close eye on him.

You said "people speculating can damage a trial". Yet you speculated. That's what I'm saying.

I'm not here to defend the guy. He should have gotten a lot longer than 15 years, and served a lot more than 10.

But he didn't. He is now a free man. Let's hope the Guardaí will be keeping a close eye on him.

Hard not to speculate though when the Garda have pointed finger at him and his own brother also is suspicious.I am not saying he is guilty or hunt him down.We have another one out there.I dont know much about him Micheal Murray.I know what he did but he is another one not been watched serious enough.
    He did a slap on wrist time for what he did.
    They said he will only receive a visit once a month:confused:.Have to sign on once a week in a police station.I have heard of people who have done less have to sign in every day to police stations in this country.He should be made sign on every day i feel.

Hard not to speculate though when the Garda have pointed finger at him and his own brother also is suspicious.I am not saying he is guilty or hunt him down.We have another one out there.I dont know much about him Micheal Murray.I know what he did but he is another one not been watched serious enough.
    He did a slap on wrist time for what he did.
    They said he will only receive a visit once a month:confused:.Have to sign on once a week in a police station.I have heard of people who have done less have to sign in every day to police stations in this country.He should be made sign on every day i feel.

Murray is another scumbag but, as said above, it's the judicial system that gave him the soft touch. It's the light handed sentencing that needs to be changed in this country. However, I fear there are far too many bleeding heart pinko liberals in this country that would have problems with tougher sentencing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Murray is another scumbag but, as said above, it's the judicial system that gave him the soft touch. It's the light handed sentencing that needs to be changed in this country. However, I fear there are far too many bleeding heart pinko liberals in this country that would have problems with tougher sentencing.

If you locked him up for 15, 20, 25 years it wouldn't matter.

What is required is mandatory participation in rehabilitation programs. If you don't participate to the satisfaction of the doctors you don't get out. Ever.

Predators like Murry are not cured simply by being in jail.

Wicknight wrote: »

What is required is mandatory participation in rehabilitation programs. If you don't participate to the satisfaction of the doctors you don't get out. Ever.

I never said they were, and I'm sorry if I gave that impression.

However, there is also a problem with mandatory participation in rehabilitation programs. Who is to say that it would actually work for the likes of these people? How do you know that they wouldn't just sit through/participate in therapy just to get a few years knocked off their sentence, or to get a chance of being released?

I'm afraid that the legally justifiable proper treatment of monsters like Murray/Murphy isn't as black and white as society would like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Strata

agree with one part of your post , you are indeed LUCKY not to have a close relative who is not the full schilling , its easy for the likes of you to pursue such PC vanity projects from the comfort of some QUANGO office HQ , your far removed from dealing with the horrors of living with someone who is not all in it

liberals like you would be better off if you cared more about normal people and less about abnormal people , thier was a time that people were thrown in the big house for having a funny hair cut but the pendelum has now completley swung the other way and its ever bit as bad as the old days , the familys of those who are not all in it , suffer terribley yet have to listen to bleeding heart liberals ( only type that work in mental health ) telling them ( from thier ivory towers ) how they need to be more englightened and tollerant , anytime i see a report on RTE about mental institutions , it concerns familys who want thier loved one released , never once have i see a report about a family who want thier family member put in , i assure you thier are familys all around the country who want a family member ( who threatens them , embarrases them in front of thier neighbours , stressed them out and is a constant worry for them ) locked up

OT I know but I have to raise this.

Your attitude to people who "are not all in it" is frightening. I honestly thought (and hoped) that we'd left that attitude to mental illness long behind. And then people wonder why the suicide rate in Ireland is so high!

God forgive someone would embarrass you in front of your neighbours - do you really think that's a legitimate reason to committ someone to a mental institution?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

so by definition of the fact that he has ran out the clock on his sentence , the guy,s slate is now wiped clean , hes no different to anyone else and should be viewed as such ??

Wicknight wrote: »

i dont see the need or desire to cure them , once thier behind bars , they cant hurt anyone , money can be better spent in other areas than paying some bleeding heart profesional hand wringer to talk to him in a sympathetic tone

• Advertisement

Strata wrote: »
    OT I know but I have to raise this.

Your attitude to people who "are not all in it" is frightening. I honestly thought (and hoped) that we'd left that attitude to mental illness long behind. And then people wonder why the suicide rate in Ireland is so high!

God forgive someone would embarrass you in front of your neighbours - do you really think that's a legitimate reason to committ someone to a mental institution?

if your brother told your elderly neighbour that she had the devils eyes and accused her of breathing fire , would you not want him removed from the neighbourhood , thats what my cousins and aunt have to put up with

as ive said already , the problem with liberals like you is that you place all the emphasis on the person who is not the full schilling and none on the familys of those who are not right in the head , the present system is no more enlightened than the one 50 years ago , back then thier was no sympathy for the person who is not right , pendelum has completley swung the other way now

if your brother told your elderly neighbour that she had the devils eyes and accused her of breathing fire , would you not want him removed from the neighbourhood , thats what my cousins and aunt have to put up with

as ive said already , the problem with liberals like you is that you place all the emphasis on the person who is not the full schilling and none on the familys of those who are not right in the head , the present system is no more enlightened than the one 50 years ago , back then thier was no sympathy for the person who is not right , pendelum has completley swung the other way now

I'm beginning to feel sorry for your cousin, he has to deal with a terrifying 19th century attitude.

Bring him to a pyschiatrist and get him assessed. There's no point in whinging about it on an internet forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Ah come on. You don't think thats a bit of an over-reaction? Admittedly looking back my wording was sloppy - I didn't mean to equate the tabloid reading classes with women in general.

My point was that yes, while this is an horrific crime, horrific crimes are committed every day to little or no media spin. For some reason the media have picked up on this and have issued forth a torrent of national hysteria that will die down in a couple of days.

I may well be made out of stone, but its only because these hysterical cases come out of the woodwork every couple of months; stupid old women ring in to liveline saying 'its a disgrace, Joe', and then the world goes back to normal. Only to be awoken some other day by another hysteria-fest that oh-so-conveniently sells newspapers.

Thats your only argument thoughout this thread. No matter what anyone says all you say is thats it tabloid hysteria. You are coming across as the one being hysterical about tabloid hysteria, and you sound a lot worse than tabloids.

How about making some points about why he wasn't giving a life sentence for attempted murder, what should be done after he is released, etc. Obviously people are not just talking about Murhphy, but anyone else who commits a similiar crime too.

One of the reasons there is a such a fuss is that Murray refused all help and made no hint that he wouldn't commit a similiar crime again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Outraged why ?

He was sentenced and served it with remission and is entitled to be freed like anyone else.What's the problem ?

If anything the thread should be aimed at the out dated judicial system we have.

Obviously this thread is aimed at the judicial system - thats the whole point of it. What did you think it was aimed at?

I'm beginning to feel sorry for your cousin, he has to deal with a terrifying 19th century attitude.

Bring him to a pyschiatrist and get him assessed. There's no point in whinging about it on an internet forum.

has it occured to you that he refuses to go , crazy people rarely know they are crazy , my aunt and cousins have asked thier GP to have him sectioned but the ruling psychiatricst in the local psychiatric unit has vetoed any attempt

has it occured to you that he refuses to go , crazy people rarely know they are crazy , my aunt and cousins have asked thier GP to have him sectioned but the ruling psychiatricst in the local psychiatric unit has vetoed any attempt

Actually crazy people do not know they are crazy; a lack of any insight into their condition is almost the first sign that someone is suffering from a pyschotic disorder.

Have you considered that perhaps the pyschiatrist is correct, and that he's just odd?

Thats your only argument thoughout this thread. No matter what anyone says all you say is thats it tabloid hysteria. You are coming across as the one being hysterical about tabloid hysteria, and you sound a lot worse than tabloids.

How about making some points about why he wasn't giving a life sentence for attempted murder, what should be done after he is released, etc. Obviously people are not just talking about Murhphy, but anyone else who commits a similiar crime too.

One of the reasons there is a such a fuss is that Murray refused all help and made no hint that he wouldn't commit a similiar crime again.

I heard his brother on the radio today. Absolutely heart rendering how the media have treated him and his family - a disgrace, in fact.

I've said my piece about what I think of this entire debacle; and will leave it at that. These things happen all the time but the media have been wildly irresponsible with the coverage of this.

That is just a really nasty comment to make.

As far as I'm concerned Irish Bob is just being honest. It is not easy for the families of people who have mental health issues or pyschopathic tendencies.

You said yourself in the previous post that you listened to what Thomas Murphy and the family of Larry Murphy have had to go through as a result of his actions and consequent reluctance to show remorse.

That is just a really nasty comment to make.

As far as I'm concerned Irish Bob is just being honest. It is not easy for the families of people who have mental health issues or pyschopathic tendencies.

You said yourself in the previous post that you listened to what Thomas Murphy and the family of Larry Murphy have had to go through as a result of his actions and consequent reluctance to show remorse.

Ignorance of mental health issues are one of the rare things I feel passionately about. Removing the stigma of mental illness is one of the great achievements of our generation.

As far as I'm concerned Irish Bob is a relic.

• Advertisement

Ignorance of mental health issues are one of the rare things I feel passionately about. Removing the stigma of mental illness is one of the great achievements of our generation.

Yes. Wonderful. You're obviously a champion of the cause.

If that's the case you are very much aware of how difficult it can be for the families which is what Irish Bob was pointing out.

Yes. Wonderful. You're obviously a champion of the cause.

If that's the case you are very much aware of how difficult it can be for the families which is what Irish Bob was pointing out.

Irish Bob has been banging this drum in numerous threads, launching incoherent assaults on 'liberals', just because we don't want to put the mentally ill into asylums for the rest of their lives, unless absolutely necessary.

Funny thing i noticed,Murray and Murphy both first hours of freedom went on train trips.
    They said he was in cork,why no one knows.
    Gardai track freed rapist on train trip http://www.independent.ie/national-news/gardai-track-freed-rapist-on-train-trip-2297124.html

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/back-on-the-streets-the-convicted-predator-who-raped-four-women-in-six-days-1827204.html

Murray is pictured lurking at Heuston Station, shortly after arriving back in the city following his early release from Castlerea Prison.Where is he now?

Isnt there a law you cant travel abroad if you commit armed robbery for fifteen years or something like that.But if you rape and attempt murder you can go where you want.Crap system and weak compared to others.Kids in America who commit petty crimes are put under house arrest and tagged in America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Apologies. Mea Culpa.

Sorry. :)

I have a alarm you pull the plug and would deafen anyone including me :D

I found this as an answer http://www.real-self-defense.com/unbreakable_umbrella.html ( you are allowed use) or this :confused:
    http://www.amazon.com/Sharpie-Stainless-Permanent-Marker-1747388/dp/B001V9LQLG apparently some old lady made swiss cheese out an attacker with that :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

Yeah because its the womans fault he stalked her for a month and creeped up behind her and punched her in the face.

I know thats not what you meant but its a silly thing to say.

I used the future tense. WILL. I am not commenting about something that happened in the past.

Actually crazy people do not know they are crazy; a lack of any insight into their condition is almost the first sign that someone is suffering from a pyschotic disorder.

Have you considered that perhaps the pyschiatrist is correct, and that he's just odd?

your post is just odd

i said crazy people dont know thier crazy and if he has a psychotic disorder , why is the psychiatricst refusing to allow him to be sectioned

better a relic than a left wing poser , its all very well for ivory tower PC wooly liberal do-gooders to preach to those on the ground about how they need to be more tollerant and enlightened but id like to see how progressive you would be when faced with a 6 ft grown man screaming in your face that the world is going to end on the 9th of september and that mrs murphy up the road is the beast , your right on philosophy would quickly fade away i suspect

the mental health system in this country right now is completley dominated by bleeding heart liberal do-gooders , you more or less have to kill someone in order to be institututionalized , many people have died at the hands of people who fifty years ago , would have spent their whole life in a padded cell , my mum is from the south west , a guy named brendan o donnell murdered three people in his community in the early nineties , my uncle occasionally gave this fruitcake a lift in his car when he was a youngster , he was always strange , he became notorious in his locality long before he made headlines as a tripple murderer yet no pre-emptive action could be taken against him , that was over 15 years ago , its much worse now and the powers that be are in the final stages of implementing whats called CARE IN THE COMMUNITY , this ghastly liberal creation will involve all the mental institutions of the country being closed down and thier ihabitants , released back into the community and while it will give the PC brigade enough smug self satisfied feeling to last a life time and no doubt provide a huge number of jobs for social workers and other proffesional hand wringers , it will post a massive threat to society as a whole

Irish Bob has been banging this drum in numerous threads, launching incoherent assaults on 'liberals', just because we don't want to put the mentally ill into asylums for the rest of their lives, unless absolutely necessary.

so its fine when your passionate about defending the mentall unwell ( as you see it ) but not ok when i feel pasionatley about the suffering of my extended family

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

i said crazy people dont know thier crazy and if he has a psychotic disorder , why is the psychiatricst refusing to allow him to be sectioned

If he has a mental illness and is a risk to himself and/or others (as you say he is), he should be detained. The law is very straightforward.

You mention that the psychiatrist at your local hospital doesnt agree. Have you brought him to another psychiatrist at the same institution; or another institution; or a private institution?

If you havent, why not? If you have, and if multiple psychiatrists disagree with you, you have to start asking yourself if you might be indeed be wrong - and get over it. Its easy to label the entire system as liberal do-gooders - but easy doesnt mean right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

My Dad made me a "car key" years ago - when I was a young lass off to college in the big smoke.
    What he did was file the top and edge of some old banger car key into a sharp knife type object and put it on with my bunch of keys, it's the largest of my keys, so easy to pick out without looking (queue a Ramboesque montage of him training me how to use it properly)
    He trained in the army for a short while and volunteered in the garda reserve so he was well aware of what happened to naive girls on their own.

Luckily, I've never had to use it but it was a comfort sometimes when in vulnerable situations!

Aw, bless Daddys.:rolleyes:

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

there is also a problem with mandatory participation in rehabilitation programs. Who is to say that it would actually work for the likes of these people? How do you know that they wouldn't just sit through/participate in therapy just to get a few years knocked off their sentence, or to get a chance of being released?

exactly. everyone who goes on about him refusing counsellling in prison, i dont get their point. for counselling to be effective, the person has to want it, actively work with the counsellor to change the behaviours they want to change,it is wasted on someone who has no regret, remorse, or shame of their actions.

if there were mandatory counselling, then all sexual predators would have to have it - some might work with it, some might not. guess what category the gardai would place LM in? this resource, we would pay for. and in his case, it would be an out and out utter waste.

its the sentencing that is the problem here - so why not lobby the government to change this? hounding this guy until he manages to dissapear and then the gardai are forced to admit that well, he could be anywhere, is this going to make people any more secure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Neyite wrote: »
    exactly. everyone who goes on about him refusing counsellling in prison, i dont get their point. for counselling to be effective, the person has to want it, actively work with the counsellor to change the behaviours they want to change,it is wasted on someone who has no regret, remorse, or shame of their actions.

if there were mandatory counselling, then all sexual predators would have to have it - some might work with it, some might not. guess what category the gardai would place LM in? this resource, we would pay for. and in his case, it would be an out and out utter waste.

its the sentencing that is the problem here - so why not lobby the government to change this? hounding this guy until he manages to dissapear and then the gardai are forced to admit that well, he could be anywhere, is this going to make people any more secure?

But surely if he's not ready for counselling then he's not ready to be out and about in public, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

We're sending him to Rome now? Outrageous! Shocking! Who's paying for this?

We are. The taxpayers (suckers). :(

But surely if he's not ready for counselling then he's not ready to be out and about in public, no?

Not many people are arguing whether or not he is/isn't ready to be released. The consensus is that he is not ready for release. That is not the point however. The point is that he has been released, and the debate (albeit, the slightly off topic one) is whether or not our justice system's out of date sentencing guidelines are too lenient. Therefore affording a man, who is very possibly still a threat to the women of this country, his freedom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

Not to mention he has never showed remorse and when asked for co-operation in the other cases,has made no plea of innocence about them.You should even be asking that as a question.They are all saying he is a danger of re offending.
    I assume a brick or stick if it comes to hand if you were attacked would be allowed as it is in self defense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭jenny jinks

I heard a story about larry Murphy last night from a guy who supposedly knows something. The story is that Murphy was transferred to Cork a few weeks before his relaease date and grew a beard. On the day of the release a detective with a baseball cap on left Arbour Hill as "Larry Murphy". meantime in Cork the real Murphy with beard left prison. All this walkabout and trip to Cork is just to give the real Murphy a chance to melt into the general public unnoticed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

I heard a story about larry Murphy last night from a guy who supposedly knows something. The story is that Murphy was transferred to Cork a few weeks before his relaease date and grew a beard. On the day of the release a detective with a baseball cap on left Arbour Hill as "Larry Murphy". meantime in Cork the real Murphy with beard left prison. All this walkabout and trip to Cork is just to give the real Murphy a chance to melt into the general public unnoticed.

CT is ^^ that way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Danniboo wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm sure everyone is as outraged as I am about the release of Larry Murphy on "good behaviour".:mad: It just got me thinking, it is illegal to carry pepper spray/mace etc in this country yet we are expected to walk the streets with this monster roaming around, what are peoples views on this? Do you think women should be allowed to carry this to defend themselves, would you carry it anyways regardless of it been banned?
    Well you see old bean a number of years ago the Irish forfeited their civil liberties. Why, I don't know. It baffles me to this day. Probably from reading into the news incorrectly and seeing the Columbine High School shooting or the egregious homicide rates in other countries. Many thought that it would cut off the criminal underwold's supply to weapons (ha!). But either way you slowly banned it all, essentially. While I'm ignorant on the particulars everything from decorative samurai swords to pocket knives and guns were given up. I assume none of these were constitutionally protected.

Interested I am that finally more and more Irish, now that the laws have changed, are turning around and saying "Oh ****, I don't feel safe walking outdoors anymore for X Y Z reason." But at the same time, a lot of people would like these weapons back to enact their own sense of justice. And therein you appreciate the double-edged nature of personal defense weaponry.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement