Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Close down Ballyfermot, DCU etc

• 13-08-2010 10:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭

I can't help wondering why we continue to allow broadcasting courses in this country when all stations seem to pick "celebrities" or irritants to go on air. Take examples such as Lucy k, capt pugwash, delamere, tiernan, nicky Byrne. Shame on pds for importing this annoying trend from the uk.

Just consider if this had been the policy when you were starting out!

Jesus, it can't be just me can it ? Don't standards matter any more?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭MarkN

Keep trying - no point taking out your frustration on colleges that do their best to get students into stations. In an awful lot of cases any 'celebrity' shows are one offs or a small season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Btr

MarkN wrote: »
    Keep trying - no point taking out your frustration on colleges that do their best to get students into stations. In an awful lot of cases any 'celebrity' shows are one offs or a small season.

Apologies but you be misunderstanding me here. I've had a long history in radio. What I'm really ranting about is this base level of radio. The implication being if you've appeared at vicar st or on I'm a dimwit, get me a career" that you are somehow suitable for radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Btr wrote: »
    Apologies but you be misunderstanding me here. I've had a long history in radio. What I'm really ranting about is this base level of radio. The implication being if you've appeared at vicar st or on I'm a dimwit, get me a career" that you are somehow suitable for radio.

George Hook and Eamon Dunphy never did a media course. Studying something in college does not make you good at it. Plenty of rubbish engineers, accountants, and by logical extension professionally qualified radio presenters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Btr

Sergeant wrote: »
    George Hook and Eamon Dunphy never did a media course. Studying something in college does not make you good at it. Plenty of rubbish engineers, accountants, and by logical extension professionally qualified radio presenters.

Sergent this is not the point I'm making and as to whether the gentlemen you mentioned did courses or not I wouldn't be too sure. Look or indeed listen to radio today and wonder where some of the presenters come from . If you believe Hook is good (and personally I don't), can you et least accept that the question may be asked as to why some celebrities are being used, save their names. Lucy kennedy to my mind is prime example and isn't very good.

My arguement remains why have the facilities to train broadcasters when they are not being given the opportunities. I didn't personally do any courses either but I committed myself to the business and advanced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

MarkN wrote: »

.....and also, more often than not, they're complete gack.

Glad your station doesn't do this!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Nepotism, name-dropping, blatent self-promotion and being lucky feature in many a career, so radio isn't excluded. It happens in every industry, it is just more apparent on TV, Radio and in the print media, because of their public facing profile.

C'est la vie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Biggest problem is the stupidos who listen to these gimps.

All these Z-listers have spotted a crack in the market and unfortunately the gullible public are so ill informed and chavvy that once a so called 'big name' like a Fair City extra or an obcure member of a 9th rate band gets behind the mike the bounce from the chavinistos can be good.

We need to be a bit more discerning though :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Its not that often id side with a pd but on this occasion my head is telling me so. Because I don't believe for one minute that the management at certain big stations are solely making the decision to hire celebs so to speak. It's a bit of a vicious circle that started around the time big brother started in the uk.
    Media houses and marketing companies will also say that products and advertising will obviously sell better if a household name is behind the microphone. It's not always right but even short term bursts can push up revenue for stations.
    Personally I also believe that going to college does not guarantee you can do the job. Hard work and lots of blood sweat and tears is probably a longer road but is most definitely a better product. I'm all for non celeb radio but I think somehow its here to stay. I'm sure it will turn full circle at some point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

I think pirates produce better DJs than media degrees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Btr wrote: »
    I can't help wondering why we continue to allow broadcasting courses in this country when all stations seem to pick "celebrities" or irritants to go on air. Take examples such as Lucy k, capt pugwash, delamere, tiernan, nicky Byrne. Shame on pds for importing this annoying trend from the uk.

Well I guess you could use the same argument for music.. What's the point in teaching people singing/songwriting/performance when JEdward are gonna top the charts.. I guess being a good DJ or a good musician, you just have to hope that your talent will see you through.

• Advertisement

Well I guess you could use the same argument for music.. What's the point in teaching people singing/songwriting/performance when JEdward are gonna top the charts.. I guess being a good DJ or a good musician, you just have to hope that your talent will see you through.

Talent!!!!

Nothing to do with talent,all to do with the stupidity of the public and their failure to see behind the wise guys who are manipulating things from behind.

Wise up lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

I agree, Lucy Kennedy and Nicky Byrne are no good for radio! There is the natural assumption that because they have a profile they're automatically suited for radio which is stupid, to be honest. I actually really like Neil Delamere when he's on the radio, I thought he did excellent cover for Ray D'Arcy on Today FM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Talent!!!! Nothing to do with talent,all to do with the stupidity of the public and their failure to see behind the wise guys who are manipulating things from behind. Wise up lads.

Look, I agree with you that a lot of DJ/Presenters positions are taken up by people who have got the job primarily because of nepotism and/or their public profile. And while this is certainly not right, and makes it soooo much harder for anybody with real media talent to make it, I dont think the solution is to stop the training courses.

Look, I agree with you that a lot of DJ/Presenters positions are taken up by people who have got the job primarily because of nepotism and/or their public profile. And while this is certainly not right, and makes it soooo much harder for anybody with real media talent to make it, I dont think the solution is to stop the training courses.

:eek:

That's my point!!!

Where did I say differently?

I'm just after listening to Ken Doherty on another thread as a promise.

Painful and downright embarrassing

Advertisement