Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rathcormac/Fermoy

Options
  • 13-08-2010 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi All,

Just looking for some advice here on Cork. Myself and my partner, both mid twenties have just moved to Rathcormac. He is from the west of the country and I'm from the south east. Both commuting to work in opposite directions, me to Cork City and him to Clonmel.

We were wondering if anyone could tell us more about the area? Where is the best place to go out and eat? Or what groups are there locally that we could get out and meet some people in the area our own age? I've been living there for five months and havent even met my neighbours! Seems a bit like a ghost town!

We are having some old college friends down this weekend and will probably end up going into a pub/club in fermoy. Any suggestions?

All advice appreciated! biggrin.gif
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Sadly, it is a ghost town. Most people bought houses there because they couldn't afford to live closer. Fermoy I think is really nice but Rathcormac is pretty dead - the building wasn't matched up with an infrastructure and so people don't really have places to go suited to the kind of demographic who bought in.

To boot also a large chunk are looking at huge amounts of negative equity - house prices fell by as must as 40% here from the peak so not a lot of spare cash for going out. A fair bit of property rented too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Ah dont be too ahrsh Rathcormac is a lovely place..but its only a large village over all so as you'd expected most of yer stuff you'll get from Cork or Fermoy.

Theres a very nice resturant on the Dublin road,going out North of fermoy,its fairly large and on the side of the road...forget its name though:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Prabhu Deva

at least you have a decent enough car boot sale

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Satts

Seloth wrote: »
    Theres a very nice resturant on the Dublin road,going out North of fermoy,its fairly large and on the side of the road...forget its name though:pac:

Corbet Court ?

I agree, I like the food here, not fancy but tasty and consistant. :pac::pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Satts

at least you have a decent enough car boot sale

Yes the boot sale is quite big. Great place to meet all sorts of people.

You could get involved with the local community council who organise this, the profits from this venture goes to charity.

Some of the same people are also involved in keeping the village tidy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭fermoycailin

sibh1 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just looking for some advice here on Cork. Myself and my partner, both mid twenties have just moved to Rathcormac. He is from the west of the country and I'm from the south east. Both commuting to work in opposite directions, me to Cork City and him to Clonmel.

We were wondering if anyone could tell us more about the area? Where is the best place to go out and eat? Or what groups are there locally that we could get out and meet some people in the area our own age? I've been living there for five months and havent even met my neighbours! Seems a bit like a ghost town!

We are having some old college friends down this weekend and will probably end up going into a pub/club in fermoy. Any suggestions?

All advice appreciated! biggrin.gif

Hi Sibh1,
    If you are into Sports, there's lots to do in Rathcormac, Castlelyons and Fermoy. Ladies Football, Camogie, Hockey, Racquetball, Squash. Not sure if there is a Macra around, but if not opposed to joining, it could be a great way to meet people. Check out the Avondhu paper for clubs - all their notes are at the back. Always hard to make first contact, but could be worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Gstore.ie (Tony)

Hi op,

I moved to rathcormac over two years ago and love it theres plenty to do depending on what you're into. Have you moved into on of the newer estates? The reason I ask is because if you have then there are plenty people in a similar situation and it should be fairly easy to meet your neighbours. Do you socialize at all in the area?

Regards
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭sibh1

Hi Tony,

Apologies, I just seen your response now. We have moved into Pairc na Greine, I will be living there a year now in April, my partner moved down in July. We have just signed another year's lease while we wait to buy. To be honest, I have had no interaction from my neighbours, they all seem to have quite young families and keep to themselves. We have gone to the pubs on a couple of occasions, but not really got talking to anyone. It's a pity, I really like the place, it's nice and quiet and I feel safe there... but we are still a bit on our own.

Was thinking about joining the macra if there was one nearby. My partner is quite into sport and I think he would join a sports team, but I'm about the most uncoordinated person in the world so that's a no go for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Best place to eat for me is the Thai Lana in Fermoy, its great food cooked by Thai's and some nice deals going on on different days. There is also a French restaurant in Fermoy but its a little pricey.

I have only been in the area just over a year but made some new friends. The pubs are not bad, for watching sports the Rathcormac inn has plenty of viewing opportunities and some knowledgeable rugby fans in there. I also like Barry's bar on Saturday night as its usually a good craic.

A good way of meeting people is to join the tidy town group as they are very active with lots of projects on the go.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭glengirlie

sibh1 wrote: »
    Hi Tony,

Apologies, I just seen your response now. We have moved into Pairc na Greine, I will be living there a year now in April, my partner moved down in July. We have just signed another year's lease while we wait to buy. To be honest, I have had no interaction from my neighbours, they all seem to have quite young families and keep to themselves. We have gone to the pubs on a couple of occasions, but not really got talking to anyone. It's a pity, I really like the place, it's nice and quiet and I feel safe there... but we are still a bit on our own.

Was thinking about joining the macra if there was one nearby. My partner is quite into sport and I think he would join a sports team, but I'm about the most uncoordinated person in the world so that's a no go for me!
    If you are interested in joining a Macra, there is one in Glenville which is only a few miles away from Rathcormac. Or if you wish to go the bigger route, there is a fairly new Macra in Mitchelstown which has members from all over the area,from 17-35. It is a great way to meet people, pub trips, bowling, dinner parties, weekends away, etc. For more info have a gander on facebook if you are on it or see www.avondhumacra.ie. Also, if that is not your scene, then maybe something like the Community Association may be best or the choir/choral society even. Often there are local drama/musical groups looking for people and I am pretty sure there is one in the area. If not, there is def one in the Kilworth area, and if even in Ballyduff and Mitchelstown. At this time of year they may be winding down, due to the Summer season approaching, but its an idea for next year. As for places to eat and all, you prob have it well figured out by now, but a few I can think of locally enough are River Action in Ballyduff, O' Callaghan's Mitchelstown (nice lunch), and of course Thai Lana and the French rest are lovely. Hope you like Rathcormac!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

There was also a Macra in Bartlemy about 2 miles away. Not sure if its still going now though, check the avondhu I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭straighttohell

Hole & Hell come to mind, but if you're stuck at least there's a main road going through it. Another plus, it's a good road for road biking and a very lively cycle club up the road in upmarket Watergrasshill. As long as you don't put a mortgage round your neck you'll get through it, look back and laugh. A word of caution, if you're feeling in need of a lift dont go for a Sunday drive to Bartlemy......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Zombies hate the place

Advertisement