Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for an HDMI output card

Options
  • 13-08-2010 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭

Hi, i need to upgrade my graphics to HDMI as at the moment my TV is only supplied via SVHS (As it doesnt have VGA).

Im not sure what card i need, I know i have PCI (Normal), and i think the Video port is AGP (Normal not express as its a brown connector/slot)

Dont want to spend a fortune as no need. (Just for playing movies on tv)

Any suggestions where i can buy nice and cheap.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

do you need it for BluRay? because for playing BluRay movies the gfx card needs either its own sound card( ATI have this in all their HD cards ) or a pass through to decode using the mobos onboard or a discrete sound card( Nvidia use this solution ). Reason is BluRays audio is copy protected, without either of thouse you'll only get stereo sound.

If you dont need to play BluRays with 5.1 sound, then just use any gfx card with a DVI->HDMI adapter( theyre about 5-10 euro ) like these - http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dvi+to+HDMI&x=0&y=0

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

No its not for blue ray, just watching tv from my dvb s card and movies in Mkv format.

Do the DVI-HDMI carry sound? Do the DVI-HDMI adaptors work 100%???

Is there a standard in AGP connections???

snaps wrote: »
    No its not for blue ray, just watching tv from my dvb s card and movies in Mkv format.
    Ok, you dont need HDCP then( unless those tv is encoded? eitherway, if youre not using more than 2.1 sound youre ok regardless )
    Do the DVI-HDMI carry sound?
    Yes and no, the DVI standard( as far as im aware ) only supports video, so carrying audio over it is non standard
    Do the DVI-HDMI adaptors work 100%???
    No, i havnt tried it with Nvidia cards, but if you get an ATI card you MUST use their DVI->HDMI adapter that comes with the card, any other one i couldnt get to work.
    Is there a standard in AGP connections???
    Any ATI card which has HD in the name supports HDMI over the DVI. Ive a 3850HD( also available for AGP also ) for my media rig

check the other thread - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055999308

• Registered Users Posts: 83,216 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

AGP has been getting phased out for the last 6 years: how old is the computer?

I only found one AGP card on Komplett and it only supports DVI; not HDMI. You wouldn't get sound out of it, but you would be able to connect to the TV.

http://komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/10_GRPCARD/02_AGP/productdetails/15490459/Sapphire_RADEON_HD_4650_Graphics_adapter_/11156_01_20R/default.aspx

Dabs has a different version of the same card that does:

http://www.dabs.ie/products/asus-ati-radeon-4650-hd-1gb-agp-hdmi-6K90.html

As said, any of the ATI HD series cards would either have HDMI on the card, or an adapter to convert DVI to HDMI. I've personaly seen 3650s and 4650s in AGP. But an important note is that unlike the PCIe versions of these cards, the AGP versions need an external power source so make sure you have a free 4-pin Molex and that your PSU is up to the job.

• Advertisement

a molex should be easy to find hanging out.

tutorial-4pin_molex_power_conn.jpg

I also have no idea if the HD 4xxx's did Sound over HDMI/DVI. I know the 5's definitely do but I cant remember if only the high end 4's did or not.

Overheal wrote: »
    I also have no idea if the HD 4xxx's did Sound over HDMI/DVI. I know the 5's definitely do but I cant remember if only the high end 4's did or not.
    the 3 series does too so..... :)

then there shouldnt be a worry. The HD 4650 is readily available in AGP. You can probably find something in the 3 series cheaper but you'll have to go digging for it.

cheers lads i'll take a look on ebay!!

• Advertisement

that should handle fine.

Just wondering, would the graphics card take the load off the CPU when decoding HD channels??

Ok, card arrived today and works very well! The problem i have now is sound. Currently the sound is coming via the HDMI cable, which is fine for the TV, but how do i swap the audio output to the 3.5 jack so i can play through an amp?? Seems a bit silly having the big TV on when i want to listen to audio files?

I cant seem to see/find any settings for this?

Ok, card arrived today and works very well! The problem i have now is sound. Currently the sound is coming via the HDMI cable, which is fine for the TV, but how do i swap the audio output to the 3.5 jack so i can play through an amp?? Seems a bit silly having the big TV on when i want to listen to audio files?

just plug the amp into the audio out on the motherboard or if you have a sound card plug it in there and set it as the main audio device in the system

What OS are you using? If it's Windows XP, go to Sounds and Audio Devices in the Control Panel and you can change the default output there. In Vista and 7, right-click the speaker in the taskbar and choose Playback Devices.

Karsini wrote: »
    What OS are you using? If it's Windows XP, go to Sounds and Audio Devices in the Control Panel and you can change the default output there. In Vista and 7, right-click the speaker in the taskbar and choose Playback Devices.

Win Xp mate, Cant actually see how you set it as default?

On the Audio tab the sound playback device is most likely set to ATI HD audio rear output. Change it to whatever the other option is (varies depending on what your sound card is). You'll need to change it back to the ATI option for TV audio to work.
    windows-sounds-audio-devices-audio.png

Tried that but doesn't stop the audio coming coming out via HDMI only. If i unplug the HDMI cable then sound is restored to the sound card audio, but then Ive no picture!!

Advertisement