Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike maintenance book

• 13-08-2010 11:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭

Can anyone suggest to me a good guide book on bike maintenance.

I cycle a hybrid and want to take care of it better. I am also considering building a bike from parts.

Any suggestions are very welcome :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Zinn and the art of bike maintenace
    Park Tools big blue book of bike repair (I have this one - nearly all the material is available online through the park tools website).

I would nearly recommend having a book at home, but bookmarking a host of handy youtube videos on your phone or laptop is just as good if not better.

Should really get a list of the best videos together for the wiki: road/MTB/commuter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭JMJR

I can recommend this one:
    Zinn & the Art of Road Bike Maintenance / Lennard Zinn.
    Obviously some mechanical aptitude and some specific bike tools will be necessary too. This book gives thorough background information and you will get an idea of parts, their names and how they work. I'm sure there are other similar books. You can use u-Tube/instructables etc to find videos about exactly to carry out specific tasks.
    John

just found this:
    Table of Contents and short excerpt from the book
    http://www.velopress.com/sample/sample_ZR3.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

+1 on Zinn...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

I have a Haynes manual, but the Park Tools website does have all the instructions you're likely to need and more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

I have a Haynes manual, but the Park Tools website does have all the instructions you're likely to need and more.
    I have one of the first versions of that still hangin around (pre-tinternet, pre disc brakes, only bare mention of front suspension etc). In contrast to the Haynes car manuals the illustrations are good quality and in colour. I presume the latest revision is up to the same standard.

The web is handy but it's a bugger getting oily handprints all over your laptop, the good old book still has it's place!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Gavb

Check out:

http://www.bicycletutor.com

Lots of tutorial videos on bike maintenance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Have the Haynes Book myself, got it in Halfords when I got e65 voucher for buying a bike there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

I got mine from CRC about half way through '09. Was up to date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

I have Zinn and while it's gotten me out of a few "WTF" moments I would have liked more pikkies.

Advertisement