Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creche in Waterford City

• 13-08-2010 11:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Can anyone recomment a creche in Waterford?
    My son is 18 mths and his nanny looks after him 5 days per week, but I was thinking it might be good for him to get some time in playing with other kids etc. I was thinking just one day a week for starters.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Waterford Childcare Centre, Cleaboy Rd Business Park (where Main Post office is).
    They have their own kitchen and all food is prepared on site. Our little one joined them when he was like 6 months. No problems with getting him to play with other babies.
    They usually let you start a week earlier for 2-3 hours daily just to check how is your child getting along. And you have your chance to see how are the babies taken care of. I find the staff very friendly. The charge is 170EUR like for full week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

I'm a childminder but from experience I think if you're only going to send him 1 day a week then it will more than likely be a lot more difficult for him to settle. I think it would be better to send him 2 mornings per week rather than 1 full day.

When I've taken on part time babies/toddlers who are starting with me for the first time I have found it much easier for all concerned for them to come to me 3 or 4 times a week even if it's only for a couple of hours until they get used to me and a new environment and then after a couple of weeks they have no bother just coming the two mornings or days or whatever part-time hours are required.

You can get a list of all the creches from the Waterford City Childcare Committee.

Also worth considering somewhere that are flexible ie if the creche takes your son 2 days a week will they be able to take him when his nanny takes her holidays or is sick etc. One little boy that I minded came to me 3 day a week, his grandparents had him the other 2 days. I was able to take him the other 2 days when they went on holidays or if he was sick they were able to mind him the days he couldn't come to me. We were able to swap the days on these occasions and it kept the costs the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

My daughter is starting in Manor St John in August. I went to view it with her and the place is lovely and they have mornings, evenings after school etc and also cook them their breakfast, dinners etc ..I don't know what the cost would be for you as it depends on your individual circumstances but I did also go and see Waterford Childcare Centre and it is very well run but also very expensive in my opinion so I couldnt justify the money they wanted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Checked with Manor St John. As long as both parents are fully employed theres virtually no difference between MSJ and WCC (€160pw vs. €165pw for full-time).:eek:
    The difference you've mentioned may come from gov subsidies for Social Welfare beneficiaries at MSJ. Real difference is in availability, MSJ is fully loaded.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Depends what part of the city you are living in as to which creche would be handiest but friend of mine has her little one in Tiptoes (just off the outer ringroad on your way to kilcohen) and she loves it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭MaxCharlie

my girl goes to Little Darlings - just off the six cross road on outer ring road. and i would recommend it 100% i was in the same position as you - and it was the best decision i ever made - i think that the interaction and independence is great - even if family look after the little one money should be offered, at least a token - so the cost versus creche is minimal - i would also agree and 1 day a week would not be of benefit - it is unsettling and its like a stranger meeting all over again each week, maybe 2 - 3 weeks each week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Hi, so your looking at €160 - €180 per week for one child? A lot isn't it.

We are in that position now and are not sure if we can cover that when I get back to work - it is very worrying.

Also means it is going to be impossible for us to pay the mortgage, car loan, bills and creche with a second child. How depressing is this... we should never have worked in the first place.

Advertisement