Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Range Problems

Options
  • 13-08-2010 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

Hi, recently we had an issue where we had no broadband for a few days. It turned out that there was an issue with the line/exchange. Since the broadband has returned the range on the wireless router seems to have gotten worse. The router is located upstairs and previously there was no issue receiving broadband anywhere in the house. However, now we can't get broadband downstairs - even in the room that is directly below the router (so only 8 feet away). I have tried 2 routers and have the same issue with both.

Is there any possible reason for this? Whilst the broadband was gone initially I had thought that there may have been a problem with the router so I reset the settings (and configured it again at a later stage) but I didn't think that there could be any link between the range and these settings?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

Is there WIFI signal (albeit poor) but no web browsing? Can you navigate to the router config page?

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭fitzie79

there is no wifi signal at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Perhaps when you reset the router you put the wireless settings (SSID/key etc.) back to their default and need to setup your computer again with the new settings?

The wireless setup is purely between your computer and the wireless router - it has nothing whatsoever to do with the broadband.

Should have been clearer. There is no wireless signal downstairs but it works perfectly upstairs when I am a few feet away so its not the wireless settings.

I can't understand what it is as it used to work fine before. As you saythe link between the computer and router has nothng to do with the broadband but strange that it happened during time broadband went down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Okay well then it's either the router, the laptop or some kind of interference that's the problem (assuming that your house hasn't structurally changed much).

Router : given that you say you've tried 2 different wireless routers and got the same results then it seems unlikely that the router is the issue.
    Laptop : are you able to check if it works okay on other wireless networks? Do you have another laptop that you can use?
    Interference : try changing the channel on the wireless router to see if makes a difference.

• Advertisement

I have tried it with the a second laptop and same problem. Changing the channel on the router is an interesting suggestion - I'll try this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

...what he doesnt suggest is installing DD-WRT on your router...especially if it's a Linksys WRT54 or variant. That allows you to boost the output power..

In the event that you can't figure out the problem, consider buying a WRT54 on ebay, installing DD-WRT and setting it up as a repeater.

My guess is that a better antenna on the router might solve the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Be careful regarding buying any WRT54G. Some versions of it are based on an atheros chipset which is simply a no-go for any alternative firmware. E.g. v7 of the WRT54G range.

Tech bit: Also, the range of this version seems to be abnormally hindered possibly by simple transmitter strength, as I've regularly encountered times when I would be able to transmit data from my pc/laptop at 54 mbps while I received data at 1 mbps, and windows would show 1 bar of signal. Other routers I tried had 4-5 bars (about -70 dBm according to the card's utility)

Windows only reports the speed your wireless adapter sends data at, not the receiving speed.

Be careful regarding buying any WRT54G. Some versions of it are based on an atheros chipset which is simply a no-go for any alternative firmware. E.g. v7 of the WRT54G range.

Good point. The earlier versions have far more memory too and are more easily converted to DD-WRT. Later versions have to rely on a somewhat scaled-down version and the upgrade is a bit tricky. However, the odd one on ebay and the like will already have been upgraded, although as a first port of call I'd try a better antenna.

• Advertisement

bhickey wrote: »
    Interference : try changing the channel on the wireless router to see if makes a difference.

meant to respond to this earlier. changing the channel did the trick - thanks for the help

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Also just for anyone who has been following the points about the linksys isnt the wrt 54gl the one to look for?

Go here and click on "router database" for a comprehensive list:

http://www.dd-wrt.de/

It's more a case of avoiding the WRT54G Version 7.0. Most other Linksys routers are upgradable (albeit with a bit of tooing and froing if the memory is small).

Advertisement