Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this normal??

Options
  • 13-08-2010 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

I am currently putting in offers for a house i want to purchase but every time i put an offer in the estate agent never rings back.

My first offer was refused point blank and the estate agent did get back to me when he said but since then he does not ring back I have to go chasing him.

A couple of my opinions are: He is not even consulting the owners with the offer and trying to get a price he thinks they want(Apparently the owners want x amount but will take x amount) I am not entertaining that as I think if I go to what they say it will increase again.

The owners are getting cold feet with selling the property because they have realised it is near a sale.

Or quite simply they are sticking to there price and are not going to move.

What the estate agent has said he thinks they will accept is 100.000 less than the asking price

My question is is this normal ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It happens. Many EAs are simply bad at their job. There's one firm who are notorious for never returning calls and never arranging viewings - they told us that they prefer setting up group viewings than individual ones and will not do individual viewings for homes in certain areas. As a seller it must be very frustrating because it appears like there's no interest.

My advice is that if you're very interested in a property but getting no response from the EA, then drop a note into the house to that effect saying that you're interested in the house but <INSERT EA> are not returning your calls, and invite the owner to ring you directly to discuss it.

Otherwise if you're not massively bothered then just move on, plenty of properties out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭ShaneIRL

I agree with Seamus drop in a letter to that effect and see what the owner does.

At the end of the day the EA will be getting commision should they sell the house and they should be doing all the chasing re: the owner and then getting back to you with details on what the owner has says. No offer no matter how ridiculous should be given to an owner and then their response given back to the person who offered, all they can say is no but looks like in your case the EA does not appear to be up to their job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Dreamtime

Hi thanks for the replys

Iam really interested in the house but would be afraid to do the above in case the seller maybe said something to him and a sale dident happen because of it.

Has anybody any experience of doing such a thing and ended up purchasing the house direct from the seller ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The seller can't bypass the EA at this stage. He will have signed an agreement with the EA which entitles the estate agent to a fee when the house is sold, whether or not the EA secured that sale.

Don't worry about the EA - he does not choose whether the house is sold to you, only the seller does. Even if you really, really annoy the EA, he cannot stop the seller from selling the house to you. You cannot jeopardise buying this house by going to the seller directly - you literally have nothing to lose.

Advertisement