Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MySql: Can I dynamically assign a column alias.

Options
  • 13-08-2010 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

Hi,
    I am trying top create a view where I want a particular column name to be based on database content rather than a literal. I have donre an example of what I want to do below, but this is not allowed. Can enyone tell me if this can be done, and if so, how do I do it. Thanks in advance.

Occupation
    ===========
    ID NAME
    -- ----
    01 Builder
    02 Teacher
    User
    =======
    ID NAME OCCUPATION_ID
    --

01 Fred 02
    02 Jim 02
    03 Tom 01
    04 Pat 02
    create view MyView
    as
    select u.id, u.name, o.name as (select name from occupation where id = 02)
    from user u, occupation o
    where u.occupation_id = o.id
    and u.occupation_id = 02;
    to give me a view MyView as follows:
    ID NAME TEACHER
    -- ----
    Here, the column name TEACHER is based on database content, not a literal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

BlueSpud wrote: »
    create view MyView
    as
    select u.id, u.name, o.name as (select name from occupation where id = 02)
    from user u, occupation o
    where u.occupation_id = o.id
    and u.occupation_id = 02;
    to give me a view MyView as follows:
    ID NAME TEACHER
    -- ----
    Here, the column name TEACHER is based on database content, not a literal.

Try leaving out the bit in bold.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭BlueSpud

Leaving out the bit in bold would result in column names ID, NAME and NAME (ambiguity problem), which is not what I want. I want the name of the 3rd column to be based on the database content, in this case TEACHER. I will typically not know the value in the database so I cant simply code in 'TEACHER', as it could be PLUMBER.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

BlueSpud wrote: »
    Leaving out the bit in bold would result in column names ID, NAME and NAME (ambiguity problem), which is not what I want. I want the name of the 3rd column to be based on the database content, in this case TEACHER. I will typically not know the value in the database so I cant simply code in 'TEACHER', as it could be PLUMBER.

Ah, ok. Now I see what you want to do.

I don't have a database in front of me at the moment, but can MySQL do dynamic SQL?

As in, dynamically create a string 'CREATE VIEW XXXX as SELECT XXX' and then actually execute that string as an SQL command.

That's one way I could think of doing it.

Advertisement