Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Basic Hybrid Bike - recommendations?

• 13-08-2010 11:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,037 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Am planning on taking up cycling to work for a few months while my girlfriend learns to drive (lessons during the day using my card etc).

I'm going to avail of the Bike Scheme and I'm just wondering if anyone has any recommendations on a basic enough hybrid bike? Would prefer somewhere offline like Halfords who'll assemble it etc.

Didn't think this looked too bad, but all opinions welcome: http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_766179_langId_-1_categoryId_212377#dtab (although none in stock in Sligo).

Am not too versed in the way of bikes so apologies if I sound like an arse and / or n00b. I suppose I'd like something light in weight, and not too expensive (€200 - €250 max).

It's about a 20 minute cycle to work through the town so a hybrid bike should be sufficient.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Thats Halfords bike doesnt look too bad as long as all your going to be doing is commuting shortish distances. Your next choice up is the big name companies' entry level bikes which all start at round €400 e.g. Trek 7.1, Giant CRS 4.0, Specialized Crosstrail etc. You basically get what you pay for when it comes to bikes so there isnt going to be a massive difference between any of the bikes I've mentioned. You should try your local bike shop and give a few bikes a test ride to see how they feel. I'm not sure if Halfords let you test bikes though?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I picked up a reasonable second hand hybrid in my local bike store for < €200 winter last; your budget seems a bit tight for anything decent new. You might also look at www.rothar.ie for a second hand options.

Edit: Just looked at the halfords bike, some serious price reduction there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,037 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Thats Halfords bike doesnt look too bad as long as all your going to be doing is commuting shortish distances. Your next choice up is the big name companies' entry level bikes which all start at round €400 e.g. Trek 7.1, Giant CRS 4.0, Specialized Crosstrail etc. You basically get what you pay for when it comes to bikes so there isnt going to be a massive difference between any of the bikes I've mentioned. You should try your local bike shop and give a few bikes a test ride to see how they feel. I'm not sure if Halfords let you test bikes though?
    Sheesh, €400 is a tad more than I'd like to spend right now.

Am in no rush so might see if any other bargains appeared akin to the Reebok offer I linked to.
    smacl wrote: »
    I picked up a reasonable second hand hybrid in my local bike store for < €200 winter last; your budget seems a bit tight for anything decent new. You might also look at www.rothar.ie for a second hand options.
    Would prefer a new bike if possible.

Don't think €200 - €250 is tight.. could probably stretch to €300. But like I said, it's largely just for short trips to-and-from work.

There's 2 and a half pages of Hybrid Bikes under €300 on Halford's anyways: http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/categorydisplay_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_categoryId_212377_langId_-1
    smacl wrote: »
    Edit: Just looked at the halfords bike, some serious price reduction there.
    Yeah, unfortunately nearest store with it in stock is Longford (about an hour away) and my boss needs to purchase it (under the bike scheme) so I wouldn't feel comfortable asking him to go there to get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

basquille wrote: »
    Yeah, unfortunately nearest store with it in stock is Longford (about an hour away) and my boss needs to purchase it (under the bike scheme) so I wouldn't feel comfortable asking him to go there to get it.

Um... As far as I know, with the bike to work scheme your boss doesn't have to go anywhere near the bike physically, you just give the bike shop an invoice/voucher and they send the bill to your company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

When I got my bike in the bike2work scheme I just went to the bike shop and got a quote for the bike. Brought that to my employers who wrote me a check and then deducted it from my wages minus the tax

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

TBH spending 200 euro on a bike under the BTW scheme is a bit of a waste. I think you're better off just buying the bike outright and saving the BTW for if/when you decide to upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

If you pay tax at the higher rate, you get the 400 euro bike for an only 200 euro loss from your net pay, roughly. 200 over 12mths is only 3 city center pints a month!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭high heels

I just needed a bike to cycle to the shops.. bought this in argos.. Its cheap but it works.. Also I live in the Uk not sure if they will deliver to Ireland took about a hour to build all you have to do is attach the saddle and the front wheel..

Getting into it now today I cycled 20 miles only got the bike 2 weeks ago.. I will get a good bike thought the bike to work scheme.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3321401/c_1/1|category_root|Sports+and+leisure|14419152/c_2/3|cat_15701421|Bikes%2C+cycling+and+accessories|14419153.htm

I can see where people are coming from suggesting that I should spend more on a good bike to take advantage of the scheme but to be honest.. I'd rather take advantage of the Bike To Work Scheme now on the off-chance it's a flash in the pan type of thing.

I work in computers so this sounds like the equivalent of giving my girlfriend a high-spec laptop with 4GB's of RAM, 250GB hard-disk, 17" screen (etc) only to have spend all her time on Farmville and Facebook - it's just not viable!

Thanks for the link to the bike on Argos high heels. Not in Ireland unfortunately!

I work in computers so this sounds like the equivalent of giving my girlfriend a high-spec laptop with 4GB's of RAM, 250GB hard-disk, 17" screen (etc) only to have spend all her time on Farmville and Facebook - it's just not viable!
    !

Indeed, but what if you could get it for half the list price? and pay it off interest free over 12mths?

• Advertisement

I know where you're coming from alright Inquitus. It's still a fair bit of money even with 50% off though for something that might sit in the shed around a month or two of use! :)

I'm gonna go into Halford's tomorrow and have a look around.

Is there much point getting a mountain bike like this: http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_766009_langId_-1_categoryId_212589? I want told a Hybrid would be best for my journey to work.

Is there much point getting a mountain bike like this: http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_766009_langId_-1_categoryId_212589? I want told a Hybrid would be best for my journey to work.

That's a girls bike, but I get the theme :) Suspension absorbs your effort as well as the bumps, unless you intend riding where suspension is a benefit a hybrid is certainly a better option.

Sorry.. wrong link! :o

Was thinking of this one: http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_766169_langId_-1_categoryId_212589

Ahh.. a hybrid might be a better bet but in saying that, I could take a couple of trips out to Rosses Point and Strandhill (beaches).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Ahh.. a hybrid might be a better bet but in saying that, I could take a couple of trips out to Rosses Point and Strandhill (beaches).

Careful if you do, getting sand and salt in the bearings of the bike won't do it any good. It's also pretty difficult cycling on sand. I'd say you're better off getting a hybrid and sticking to the roads/trails unless you want to spend the money on a proper mountain bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Do not go near sand on a bike, honest. Avoid, avoid. I have had to replace a chain just from cycling near a beach when it was windy.

As to what to get, there is no indication the BTW scheme is going anywhere. There is a similar long-running scheme in the UK, the scheme here has been a massive success and so it is difficult to see the next government thinking, right, lets get rid of that. Although given Fine Gael's anti-cyclist tendencies who knows.

If buying from Halfords assembly and service can be a bit hit and miss. Their own-brand Carrera and Boardman brands are good bikes and good value but I would be wary of anything else. I would put a good entry-level hybrid at typically around the €400 mark which would only be €200 on the BTW scheme... although if buying on that I would of course aim to hit the thousand.

Make sure you get absolutely everything else you may need (mudguards, rack?) and clothes, lights, helmets, etc at the same time as you get all these on the scheme too at the same discount.

OK. Cheers guys.. I was planning on getting all the accessories with it alright.

I'm gonna go up to my local Halfords tomorrow and scope it out!

Have a good look around Halfords today.

Apparently, the Reebok one being sold cheap is the first bike they've manufactured. Wouldn't trust it just yet. I saw the mountain bike version (http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_766169_langId_-1_categoryId_212589) of it.. it doesn't look bad though!

Onto the bikes I was looking at, he showed me one or two but I was most impressed with a Carrera Subway 2. Quite light and he said he says they've very sturdy impressive bikes.

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_551207_langId_-1_categoryId_212377

Any thoughts on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭magotch07

i just availed of the bike to work scheme....my employers gave the option of pay over 12 months or one payment upfront.....i spent the full 1000 on it and it was well worth it

i got a cube hybird really good bike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭serendip

Onto the bikes I was looking at, he showed me one or two but I was most impressed with a Carrera Subway

From what you've said so far, it looks like this may be not a bad choice in terms of meeting your needs. Reasonable bike for the money. Shame not to take full advantage of the tax break, but you've already addressed that issue.

serendip wrote: »
    From what you've said so far, it looks like this may be not a bad choice in terms of meeting your needs. Reasonable bike for the money.
    Yeah, think so too. It's €389 in-store but €311 when bought online.

Think I might make up a quote from the Halfords website of the bike (and accessories) to get my employer to send off for the Bike2Work Scheme on Monday.. the only fear I have is that the 20% reduction (to bring the bike down to €311) will have expired by the time the voucher is recieved to buy the bike! :(

• Advertisement

Employer was talking to someone in revenue who said this voucher thing isn't true anymore.

It's a case of making up a quote, employer buying it using company credit card and sending off a form to revenue with the cost of the bike (tax-free) being taken off over 12 motnhs.

It's worth mentioning I'm on the lower tax-rate so the suggestions is get something great as I'll be getting practically half off was all a bit moot!

Anyways.. any recommendations for accessories from the Halfords site? Am making a quote up this evening so I'll need a lock, lights, helmet etc.

And balls.. the 20% off the bike on the Halfords site (to bring it down to €311) is not available anymore! :(

Maybe I'll wait..

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Bobbins

When I first started cycling two years ago, I bought a Ridgeback Velocity. Loved it, never let me down. Probably not the flashiest of models but I've been everywhere on it inc 100km Sean Kelly last year. OH has one too and he loved it. Think the comet is the next step down if your not looking to spend €400 +....comet is a bit less. :)

Advertisement