Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ricco signs for Quick step

• 13-08-2010 12:17pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/495443/ricc-joins-quick-step-to-return-to-protour.html

"Italian Riccardo Riccò will return to top-level racing for the first time since leaving the Tour de France in 2008 for doping. Yesterday, he signed a contract with Belgian team Quick Step after he officially annulled his contract with team Ceramica Flaminia."

Interesting to see how he gets on. Personally wish he'd have just disappeared never to return but I suppose under the rules he's done his time so is entitled.

I was surprised he got a reduced ban in the first place. Suppose he'll be in the Vuelta now......

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I think it's too late for him actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Platform Web

Would be nice to see him show some remorse, as per David Millar and not as per Vinokourev. His likes should only be let back in after showing some evidence of remorse and corrective action or positive input against doping.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

RobFowl wrote: »
    I was surprised he got a reduced ban in the first place.
    Would be nice to see him show some remorse, as per David Millar and not as per Vinokourev. His likes should only be let back in after showing some evidence of remorse and corrective action or positive input against doping.

He got his ban reduced for shopping Carlo Santuccione as his doping doctor. In fairness to the guy, despite his attitude, not many cyclists have done that after they were caught.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

el tonto wrote: »
    I think it's too late for him actually.

On the subject of the Chicken and his personal sponsorship...

ap8pbm.jpg

He got his ban reduced for shopping Carlo Santuccione as his doping doctor. In fairness to the guy, despite his attitude, not many cyclists have done that after they were caught.

Thanks el tonto, good to know. I agree, few would have done that. MIght suggest he wasnt fully aware what was being put into him, but that would be naieve too. I just think/wish there needs to be no confusion or grey in doping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I read some online quotes by a US rider riding with Cervelo in the Tour of Austria. He had some quite strong things to say about Ricco. Basically he described Ricco as an obnoxious git that was rude to everyone, including other riders and his teammates. He also said that there are very few riders that the peleton actively dislikes but Ricco is one of them. He believed that Ricco was in no way repentant for having doped and said that lots of riders are bothered by him being allowed back to race against them given his history and his general attitude.

Based on that it sounds like Ricco is no less arrogant than he was before he was caught doping so you'd wonder if he really learned anything from the experience. Time will tell though, I guess.

doozerie wrote: »
    I read some online quotes by a US rider riding with Cervelo in the Tour of Austria. He had some quite strong things to say about Ricco. Basically he described Ricco as an obnoxious git that was rude to everyone, including other riders and his teammates. He also said that there are very few riders that the peleton actively dislikes but Ricco is one of them. He believed that Ricco was in no way repentant for having doped and said that lots of riders are bothered by him being allowed back to race against them given his history and his general attitude.

Based on that it sounds like Ricco is no less arrogant than he was before he was caught doping so you'd wonder if he really learned anything from the experience. Time will tell though, I guess.

Interesting Doozerie. Not the kind of guy we need in the sport, but all the more motivation for his counterparts!

Looks like its Vacansoleil now.

Looks like its Vacansoleil now.

Jeez Ricco, make up your mind! Maybe Quick Step werent giving him the €75k he needed to buy his contract out of Flaminio! I hope it works out for Vacansoleil, they were unlucky not to get entered into a grand tour this year.

I hope it works out for Vacansoleil, they were unlucky not to get entered into a grand tour this year.

I don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

I don't.

+1 They might get an invite to the Giro but little else I'd venture.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Junior wrote: »
    +1 They might get an invite to the Giro but little else I'd venture.

+1 but they seem to be happy with that.....

Seems the sponsors at Quickstep weren't as keen as the DS :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

RobFowl wrote: »
    +1 but they seem to be happy with that.....

Seems the sponsors at Quickstep weren't as keen as the DS :rolleyes:

You could say Ricco got Shoe'd Quickstep out the door !

I'll get me coat. :pac:

Advertisement