Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Coverage

Options
  • 13-08-2010 12:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭

I recently changed from 3 to Meteor (billpay) and cannot get over how bad the coverage is. I have practically no coverage indoors and am constantly missing calls. I have complained to meteor who say they do not guarantee coverage indoors.

How do I get out of this contract and get onto a decent network?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Spooky1666

I'm really sorry to say, I don't think you can get out of your contract :( ( i may be wrong though )

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭bladespin

Ask them to release you from the contract as an act of goodwill, might work, we had problems here with O2 and they did that, fair play to them.

Also have you tried changing the settings on the phone? Sometimes switching off certain options (3g) can boost regular call signal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

What annoys me is that I had excellent coverage with 3 and others have no problem with vodafone and O2 coverage where I live.

I have been emailing customer services and according to their engineers I should have no coverage problems where I live. According to meteors coverage map I should have full coverage. I've had my sim card replaced with no improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Macers

I have no real issues with Meteor however I can actually see the Meteor mast from my house and still have poor reception in doors

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

trad wrote: »
    I recently changed from 3 to Meteor (billpay) and cannot get over how bad the coverage is. I have practically no coverage indoors and am constantly missing calls. I have complained to meteor who say they do not guarantee coverage indoors.

Do a search on here, you can cancel your contract under Regulation 17 (change in terms of contract).

Ah, here it is -

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055977831

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,565 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

When did you take out the contract? AFAIK all/most networks have a 14 day 'cooling off' period when you can opt out. I changed to Three the other week to get the new iPhone. A week later I handed it back without problem due to crappy coverage and went back to Meteor.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭rpmcs

just wondering did you upgrade phone when changing, i upgraded to n97 mini while back, had to send it back once for repair about a week after i got it because poor reception, then it was no better when it came back, so back on old E51!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Travelcard

...they do not guarantee coverage indoors.

Seriously? That's just hilarious :D

Travelcard wrote: »
    Seriously? That's just hilarious :D

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Travelcard

That they think indoor reception is a black art. Never heard of that before.

• Advertisement

Sorry, you're still not making sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

Just something i noticed with meteor in my area is that you have to have the 3G switched on in order to get decent coverage. Just having GSM on gives crap coverage in my area anyway. So if your phone has 3G try switching it on to see if it makes a difference as Meteor are in the habit of just installing 3G masts rather than combined 3G/GSM.

Thanks for all the replies.

I have the contract over a month but started complaining almost straight away. I switched off the 3G, no difference. It's a new phone a sony ericsson W995, a better version of my previous phone.

Here's what meteor say about indoor coverage [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

Further to your query please see the Terms and Conditions of your contract which state:

"Both quality and availability of the Services are affected by factors which could cause radio interference, such as physical obstructions and atmospheric conditions..."
    [/FONT]
    Seems like a universal cop out to me.

I'll look into the Regulation 17 clause.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭RebelScorned

Same here, should have full reception yet can never get more than one bar and sometimes I even wonder about that one bar, i think its more of a token offering really cos calls still drop all the time. Soooo sick of it!

I don't think it's a cop out at all, I can't get a decent signal where I work, but if I step outside I get perfect signal and data. Just one breeze-block wall in the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

Indoor reception is always considerably less than outdoors. GSM is much better indoors than 3G.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

Adro947 wrote: »
    Indoor reception is always considerably less than outdoors. GSM is much better indoors than 3G.

... which is due to 3G's higher frequency (2100 MHz) as compared to GSM (900 MHz and 1800 MHz). Once Comreg finally allows 3G services on GSM frequencies the coverage for everyone should improve a lot.

blaz wrote: »
    ... which is due to 3G's higher frequency (2100 MHz) as compared to GSM (900 MHz and 1800 MHz). Once Comreg finally allows 3G services on GSM frequencies the coverage for everyone should improve a lot.

Which I doubt Comreg will ever do. In the near future anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

Spooky1666 wrote: »
    Which I doubt Comreg will ever do. In the near future anyways.

And it makes sense...We have enough 3G frequency, there are much more efficient uses for any space on the 900 Mhz and 1800 Mhz bands. Plus, alot of phones wouldn't work that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

Adro947 wrote: »
    And it makes sense...We have enough 3G frequency, there are much more efficient uses for any space on the 900 Mhz and 1800 Mhz bands. Plus, alot of phones wouldn't work that way.

No, it does not make sense. 3G on 2100 needs many more masts to cover the same area. The only reason why 3G was deployed on 2100 was greed - governments wanted to sell off the additional spectrum.

Most modern phones support both frequencies for 3G (2100 and 900). Migrating to 900 MHz wouldn't mean suddenly shutting down 2100. It would mean *adding* 900 MHz to the existing 2100 coverage, which would very much help expanding 3G coverage in rural areas.

http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/July2009/900-MHz-Frequency-Approved-for-3G-in-Europe-3G.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

As Ireland is relatively sparsely populated, the use of 900Mhz 3g would be a useful development.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

ah now u cant expect to get decent coverage indoors...they cant guarantee that you will have coverage in every house...cause of heavy obstructions even best coverage wouldn't help....

though you have to agree that very little has been done to improve coverage in ireland over years...

its been "Covering 9X.X of Ireland" for the past 5 years now and its never getting any better

coverage wise it depends where you live...i have the same amount of coverage in my house with vodafone/02/three/meteor...the better thing about meteor that in low coverage areas you have edge...which gives you some sort of internet access.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭sipstrassi

Thanks for all the replies.

I have the contract over a month but started complaining almost straight away. I switched off the 3G, no difference. It's a new phone a sony ericsson W995, a better version of my previous phone.

Here's what meteor say about indoor coverage [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

Further to your query please see the Terms and Conditions of your contract which state:

"Both quality and availability of the Services are affected by factors which could cause radio interference, such as physical obstructions and atmospheric conditions..."
    [/FONT]
    Seems like a universal cop out to me.

I'll look into the Regulation 17 clause.

Hi trad. I too have a W995 with Meteor. Am beginning to wonder if it's the phone? My coverage is very poor. Think I only have coverage about 40% of the time (live in Meath, work in Dublin, drive to Mayo at weekends). Sometimes find the coverage dropping without moving a step. Looking at comments from other Meteor users and they don't seem to have as many problems. I'm out of contract now and was going to switch networks. Now I'm not sure. I have an unlocked Samsung, might try it for a couple of weeks and see if it makes a difference.

I moved to Vodafone on an i-phone and am happy with the coverage and the phone (except battery life). You've nothing to loose by porting to a new network.

I moved to Vodafone on an i-phone and am happy with the coverage and the phone (except battery life). You've nothing to loose by porting to a new network.

Cost is an issue for me. Looking at similar plans across the 4 networks (as emobile are meteor, leaving them out) and the phone I would like, Meteor are about €100 cheaper. However, €100 would not be much to pay if I can have reliable coverage. Decisions, decisions!

sipstrassi wrote: »
    Cost is an issue for me. Looking at similar plans across the 4 networks (as emobile are meteor, leaving them out) and the phone I would like, Meteor are about €100 cheaper. However, €100 would not be much to pay if I can have reliable coverage. Decisions, decisions!

You said you have a sim free samsung? Order free sims from all the networks online, pop it into your samsung and see what the coverage is like. Then pick the best network. May seem like alot of effort but it really is a good solution (tried and tested) :)

Spooky1666 wrote: »
    You said you have a sim free samsung? Order free sims from all the networks online, pop it into your samsung and see what the coverage is like. Then pick the best network. May seem like alot of effort but it really is a good solution (tried and tested) :)

Thanks Spooky. Will give it a go.

Advertisement