Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[C&C] Emalia @ Sand Dunes

• 13-08-2010 12:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭

I shot my first model a few weeks at a mini strobist meet. I initially let the others take the lead so I could learn from them on how they interacted with the model etc.
    I managed to get a few shots i'm quiet happy with before the heavens opened and we had to scrabble back to the cars to get out of the rain.

One light was camera right into a softlighter umbrella (reflective umbrella with a softbox type cover to me and you :D) and another bare behind the model

Would love some comments - good and/or bad

4853275472_7c338d838d_z.jpg?zz=1
    (the text / line through this one was a personal preference to kinda watermark the image after it started getting hits on flickr from some very random sites)

4850839476_e874b17189_z.jpg

4868565726_9ffd616573_z.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

The lighting doesn't do the model or your photos any favours I'm afraid. Tbh it wasn't needed for the shoot, the hairlight is out of place in the first, the lighting on the face is too harsh in the second, and she's picking her ear in the third :(

You need to get back out there without the lights and get her without the silly poses, shoot naturally, and see how you get on. If you still think you need extra light, then start with a reflector, then if you still need more, a small bit of light.

Did you have an idea of the photos you wanted to come out with before the shoot? Is this it, or are they better or worse than what you thought you'd come out with?

Do you think the strobes were nessicary for the shoot?

Did you enjoy the shoot? Would you do it again? What would *you* change if you were to do it again?

(Not wanting to sound like I'm picking on you, but I just want to get your own opinion)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Not my sort of thing.. models n' strobes and all that.. so I'll keep my observations simple:

#1 - Really not sure about the pose (head, arms, legs and especially that knee), the composition and the purpose of all that grass on the right hand side

#2 - Is she about to pull off a face mask to reveal her true identify ala Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible?

#3 - Mentioned previously... itchy ear or something?

Subject wise I find all of them are really awkward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭goldseeker

Definitely number 3 is the best for me,just like somebody mentioned about that finger,it is not in the right place. Very sharp pictures,would you tell us about equipment used? Just guessing L lenses.
    First one is good too, maybe that strobe behind could be set just a notch weaker. Nice halo on hair,just a little bit too strong.
    Number 2 is so so.
    Good job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

In the Strobist meetings it can be very difficult to get something that you can really call your own, both technically and stylistically. Especially when you're using someone else's gear and have only got about 10mins to do anything. These photos have David Frain written all over them. I know you were using his gear and probably his light ratios etc. So what Al said has a lot of relevance. You need to start off with basic lighting then build upon that as you see fit. I don't think you had a chance to do that.

It looks like the model tried to pose (over-pose) instead of just looking natural. She looks awkward. The colour balance is off in second one compared to the 1st and 3rd. You can see the backs of her hands in all of them. As if it's a feature or something. :) ugh.... Not nice. Armpit in another.... Hands up anyone who wants to see armpits! lol :D I'm not being mean, just the way I see it. The second has blown highlights on her face. In each one her expression looks uncomfortable.

My advise for the future is this. Go to the Strobist meetings and use it as a way to network with other photogs, MUA/stylist and models. Then organize your own shoots and work on some basic concepts like simple lighting and directing the model to look natural.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Thanks for response so far people….i’ll put together a better response later when I get back to a computer and off the phone. Very helpful so far – tear them to pieces if warranted – im under no illusions and want to learn!

OShead, yes I was using dave’s lights. Time (rain) was against us and he was first setup so I used his studio strobes. Don’t think 430 speedlights would have been powerfully enough on the bright day it was (even with the oncoming rain clouds).
    I went to the meet on the basis of learning how others interacted with models etc and get shots of my own was secondary thing….organising my own shot would obviously be better time wise but id not done anything like this before

Keep them coming.

& no the model was not very experienced. I almost sure she was suppose to only do makeup but a few others didn’t show

• Advertisement
Advertisement