Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New 24hr Amber service station off M8 junction 14 (Fermoy North) is open

Options
  • 13-08-2010 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

Haven't used it yet, but I saw an advert for the Amber service station draped off an overbridge south of J12. Excellent that there are fuelling facilities available 24/7 off the M8 at last, albeit privately operated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Furet wrote: »
    Excellent that there are fuelling facilities available 24/7 off the M8 at last, albeit privately operated.

all fuelling facilities in Ireland are privately operated though, aren't they. Why should this be any different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

all fuelling facilities in Ireland are privately operated though, aren't they. Why should this be any different?

I was referring to the proposed NRA/PPP service areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I was referring to the proposed NRA/PPP service areas.

which will also be privately operated under contract to the NRA.

which will also be privately operated under contract to the NRA.

Ah semantics lads... I am talking about a privately conceived, privately everything service area with no public/NRA input.

The long and the short of it all is that there is now a 24-hr service area beside the M8. At last.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

Any idea how far from J14 it is?

• Advertisement

I'd imagine about 3km from the junction on the outskirts of Fermoy town. I'll check it out later.

I'd imagine about 3km from the junction on the outskirts of Fermoy town. I'll check it out later.

so nowhere near it in other words...

so nowhere near it in other words...

I don't regard 3km as "nowhere near it". If I was driving from Cork to Dublin at 2am and needed fuel I'd be very grateful for it actually. Sure it could be closer, but it's the only 24-hr fuel within 4 minutes drive of the entire M8 and that constitutes a marked improvement in the situation in my book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

I don't regard 3km as "nowhere near it". If I was driving from Cork to Dublin at 2am and needed fuel I'd be very grateful for it actually. Sure it could be closer, but it's the only 24-hr fuel within 4 minutes drive of the entire M8 and that constitutes a marked improvement in the situation in my book.

Indeed.

Doesn't mean the current situation is acceptable by any stretch of the imagination, but something is better than nothing. That doesn't mean that we're in the large bracket of Irish people who regard "something" as "good enough" though. It's still a disgrace we don't have MSAs.

BluntGuy wrote: »
    It's still a disgrace we don't have MSAs.

I don't think we have any roads long enough to justify them tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

M7/M8 is 240 km +.

More than enough distance to justify at least one online services.

M4/M6 is 200 km.

Again, more than enough.

We don't need a massive number. One every ~60 km as the NRA proposed would be more than sufficient, especially at the appropriately modest size they proposed. I'd be happy if they even just constructed the one near Mountrath which would've served both M7 and M8 traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭cooltown

Was at it yesterday and was very poorly stocked and had a very small deli counter.
    The Topaz garage in Mitchelstown in 24/7 as well and petrol is cheaper!

Just used it today and they seemed to have had everything in order. There were a few contractors putting the finishing touches on things, and it was very well stocked with food and drink, with a spacious dining area, an off licence and ATM. Petrol was €1.289. It is exactly 1.6km from junction 14. I was very impressed to be honest - it's certainly better than ANYTHING else along the M8 corridor and it is open 24 hours (although it's just a hatch service after 2300 for now).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Drove Galway-Newry (via the M50) last week and it was a pain not having an open MSA on the M4 or M1.

Stopped in Kilmartin's (just 1.2km off the M6 on the Eastern side of Athlone) for a very quick break - that was fine. But on the way home, I started to need a toilet when I got near Dublin on the M1. I'm not very familiar with any of the M1/M4 towns so I didn't know which would be best to pull into for a very quick stop. Continued on for a bit but had to get off in Leixlip because I was bursting by then. It wasn't a quick stop at all like I had hoped, it took ages to get from the motorway in/out of the town.

cooltown wrote: »
    The Topaz garage in Mitchelstown in 24/7 as well and petrol is cheaper!

That's good to know actually - I wasn't aware that was open 24/7. However, the difference is that the deli is of a far higher standard at the new Amber, plus you have a nice seating area with free WiFi. I didn't think the petrol at the Mitchelstown Topaz was so cheap to be honest - is it under 1.289?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

BluntGuy wrote: »
    I'd be happy if they even just constructed the one near Mountrath which would've served both M7 and M8 traffic.

Amazed that the tolling company on the M7/M8 scheme don't offer to build this now. Even at a loss, the increase in tolls would sure offset any expenditure

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭cooltown

A really good Deli is in the maxol garrage in Mitchelstown but I think there's meant to be resteraunt in the Amber garrage but it's not open yet so that might make up for the poor deli!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

How far is it from the existing facilities in Fermoy though? The banner makes it seem like there was nothing before.

Topaz fuel cards only in work so its Topaz Mitchelstown or Fermoy for me for the long haul...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Half the reason I don't pay the M7 toll to/from Limerick is the two 24 hour garages in Mountrath, one of which is always fairly cheap for fuel(Mountrath Service Station, on the Limerick side of town).

Unfortunately MSS have started locking the doors late at night, so I'll have to start using the more expensive one :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

cooltown wrote: »
    A really good Deli is in the maxol garrage in Mitchelstown but I think there's meant to be resteraunt in the Amber garrage but it's not open yet so that might make up for the poor deli!

i think we're spoilt for delis...a lot of superb ones went in when they were packed with Builders so I suppose it should be no surprise if new ones now are more modest. I was in this Amber before it opened and was quite impressed by it....it's not huge but adequate i think for the likely passing trade. Topaz just up the road, which I have been using , again because of fuel card.

• Advertisement

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Very good 24 hour service station/deli in Kilcock on M4 Take Kilcock exit and it is about 2km into Kilcock from Motorway on right.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭tippguy

was in there today and i have to say i was quiet impressed...the forecourt was massive!! the shop is about the size of our average topaz with the seating on the side.. nice enough off licence department with good enough deals too. 24 miller for e19.99, 20 bud e17, mcguigan e6.99 a bottle...also spotted 7up 2 litres 2 for e2

I used at various times this past week ranging from 2 - 5am and was very grateful for it. It's getting a lot of business and people are very happy with it from what I've been hearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Is it just on the old dublin road heading into fermoy? So about 2km from moore park?

Davy wrote: »
    Is it just on the old dublin road heading into fermoy? So about 2km from moore park?

Correct. Head in towards Fermoy and you can't miss it. It's on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭glanman

1.5km so pretty close in fairness. Their Deisel is 119.8 and petrol 128.8 or something close to that which is pretty good as far as I can see. Place looks good.

Advertisement