Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on new Smartphone

Options
  • 13-08-2010 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am trying to decie between a
    Samsung Wave,
    Samsung Galaxy Spica or
    SE Xperia x10 Mini Pro.
    Cost isn't really an issue as there won't be a massive difference in price with the deal I'll be getting.

I have a blackberry at the moment but it's under utilised as I am on O2 PAYG . New phone will be also O2 PAYG

My requirements are
    Decent Camera
    Speedy Internet
    Good free apps availability
    Battery lasting at least two days with average use
    Easy to use interface.

I have done loads of research already but cannot decide.
    If anyone has experience of these user feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

ur looking a a smartphone with 2 days battery with average use (average use?!?)

not easy...none of these phones have it either...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

Would you consider the iPhone 4? Meets all of your criteria.

Elessar wrote: »
    Meets all of your criteria.
    lol iPhone has been known for crappy bat life

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

lol iPhone has been known for crappy bat life

Really now? Funny, because I use mine a lot and get over 2 days use out of it. How long do you get out of yours? Let me guess, you don't have one.

Now how about contributing to the thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

That's not what GSM-Arena say:
    The Bada-running Samsung S8500 Wave withstood so much torture that at one point we were wondering if it would ever die. Well it finally did after 3 and a half days, after going through the following:

• 90 minutes of video playback
    • 2 hours music playback through loudspeaker
    • 40 minutes voice call
    • 20 minutes games
    • 50 minutes browsing
    • 30 minutes general usage
    • 10 minutes navigation
    • 20 minutes shooting photos and videos

The final really cool part of the video playback performance of the Wave is its battery life. We run a dedicated test and saw the Samsung S8500 play nearly nine hours of SD XviD video before it lost 90 percent of its battery charge and shut the video player off.
    http://blog.gsmarena.com/the-king-is-dead-long-live-the-king-samsung-s8500-wave-is-the-new-battery-life-champion/

If you get one that is branded, the battery performance might not be very good, according to some reports. It should cost a good deal less than the Galaxy S as if you were buying sim free, the Galaxy would cost you around €170 more.

The one criteria of yours the Wave may not meet is lots of free apps, though it does come pre loaded with some useful ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭pelemcg

Thanks folks. I had a fiddle with the Wave in a Three shop yesterday and preferred it to the other two. The Iphone is too rich for my blood I'm afraid. After reading this, I now realise that battery life is a big thing for me so would probably go for whichever had the best.

Elessar wrote: »
    Really now? Funny, because I use mine a lot and get over 2 days use out of it. How long do you get out of yours? Let me guess, you don't have one.

Now how about contributing to the thread?

with average use of wifi/data/games/videos and music? i dont think so...

i can get 2 days out of my phone too but it wont be even close to the average usage so enough of bull****

the net is full of threads how crap the iPhone battery life is...

btw im not sure about GSM arena reviews of their batterly life cause i compared several phones to their usage and never got out as much as they did...

best battery life phone out there in my opionion is the 5800 XM no apps but its the best phone out there for the money

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Matt_Teddy

I bought the X10 Mini Pro about ten days ago.

The battery has been good to me so far. I'm getting just over two days use out of it with a full charge. That's using WiFi for an hour or so each day, and using the messaging app heavily.

The UI is really quite basic. The "Four Corner Control" is a great feature I think. Basically, you can customise the corners to have your most used apps, for quick access. For the menu screen, you just have to swipe upwards, or use the hardware menu key.

The 5MP camera is quite decent. There's no zoom while taking a photo, although the digital zoom afterwards is great. The lack of zoom caught me by surprise when I first got the phone, but I haven't really needed it so far.

Haven't got a chance to play around with many apps yet, but there is a good selection on the Marketplace, with more to become available after the 2.1 update - which is rumoured to hit before the end of September.

The screen is a little on the small side to be used for web browsing, so expect a lot of panning and scrolling.

The hardware QWERTY is perfect though. It really makes texting and typing on the phone much easier. The 2.5" screen is rather cramped to use touch input.

All in all, I'm very happy with this phone. It's a big step up from my old SE K800i! :P

I've heard some great things about the Galaxy S too though, so it's worth getting an opinion on it too.

Hope this helped.

-T

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭valdigre

Well, Samsung Wave lasts for me at least two days with average use.
    It depends how you define "average use", of course, but I will describe you my use over this weekend.

Charged the phone to full on Saturday around 12 pm, since then I used it for:

- about 20 minutes Route 66 GPS navigation,
    - about 65 pictures made, each of them with GPS tagging (when using camera, screen brightness was set to 5 out of 10, normally I use 1 for indoor),
    - about 5 minutes of 720p video recording,
    - about 20 minutes Wifi WWW browsing,
    - downloading 160 MB game from Samsung apps over wifi and installation (using the phone built in samsung apps application),
    - about 2 sms and in total around 10 minutes of incomming/outgoing calls,
    - 20 minutes of gaming (Kroll, this game is free and entertaining).
    - emailing (sending email with 5 mb attachment)

Oh, I use the phone on 3g only, so take this into consideration as well.

I don't know how you'd define this usage, but when I came back home today at 5 pm, I had 20% battery left.

I think this is great usage!

Advertisement