Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zooplus Puppy Cages??

Options
  • 13-08-2010 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

My puppy is heading on her first holiday next week!!:Di'm hoping to buy a puppy crate/cage for her to use whilst away. i have seen one on Zooplus website which seems to be the cheapest going. http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_cages_carriers/carriers/metal_cages_and_boxes/129679

I'm looking at a cage bigger than what she would need so that she has loads of room in it. Just wondering has anyone bought any of these cages and are the good quality?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

What will you need the actual crate for? Is it just for sleeping in at night?

If so i wouldnt think you would need a very big one, just one thats recommended for her size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Betsy18

Hi,

Yes it will only be used to keep her safe at night. i was going to get a bigger cage as she isnt fully housetrained yet so i could leave her puppy mat at one side and her bed and water at the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Betsy18 wrote: »
    Hi,

Yes it will only be used to keep her safe at night. i was going to get a bigger cage as she isnt fully housetrained yet so i could leave her puppy mat at one side and her bed and water at the other side.

Have you been crate training her for toilet training? If so then i wouldnt be putting the puppy mat in there as they dont like to go where they sleep and it defeats the whole purpose of crate training for toilet training really.

Can you not continue crate training while on your hols for her toilet training?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Betsy18

No we havent started crate training her yet, we are hoping to start training her next week so i may not need the mats! Yes maybe a smaller cage would make sense. thanks!!:D:D

BTW have you bought a crate from Zooplus?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭andrewire

Hi Guys,

My puppy is heading on her first holiday next week!!:Di'm hoping to buy a puppy crate/cage for her to use whilst away. i have seen one on Zooplus website which seems to be the cheapest going. http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_cages_carriers/carriers/metal_cages_and_boxes/129679

I'm looking at a cage bigger than what she would need so that she has loads of room in it. Just wondering has anyone bought any of these cages and are the good quality?

Thanks!

I didn't buy this one from Zooplus.ie but I have two similar cages we use for our dogs when on holidays and they are very good. If your dog isn't fully trained, you'll need a lot of old newspapers for the inside and clean it with soap everytime you can so your puppy can stay clean. What we did when our dogs were young was to put their crate inside with their blanket so they would have a proper place to sleep. They learn not to pee or poo inside the cage in a week or two. But you have to be constantly checking if they cage and crate are clean every time you leave your dog. Oh and keep plenty of fresh water available too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

I bought a cage for my cocker spaniel pup from Zooplus on their german website:
    http://www.zooplus.de/shop/hunde/hundetransportbox/transportkaefige/transportkaefig/3491

It worked out cheaper this way. I got a 2 door cage in this size: L 92 x B 62 x H 69 cm.

I primarily used it for housetraining her during the day and she was supervised all the time (I didn't leave her in it over night.)

The only problem I had was when she got bored she started to chew the metal bars. On this particular cage there are "clasps" for holding the cage together (as its foldable). My pup managed to get her mouth caught in these "clasps" a couple of times - she couldn't free her mouth herself. It was very painful for her - so IMO a pup would need to be supervised all the time in this type of cage.

Advertisement