Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Found this on the net , is it true (Acetone In Fuel Said to Increase Mileage)

• 13-08-2010 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/524517/double_your_gas_mileage_2x/

Just wondering if anyone has tried this ,might try it out on my ford focus 1.4 which eats the petrol .

Made out that it's 1 to 1.5 oz. of acetone to 36 litres of petrol with a projected increase of 20 to 35 percent in miles

Got this found the internet as well
    In addition to increased mileage acetone added to fuel boasts other benefits such as increased power, engine life, and performance. Less unburned fuel going past the rings keeps the rings and engine oil in far better condition.

A tiny bit of acetone in diesel fuel can stop the black smoke when the rack is all the way at full throttle. You will notice that the exhaust soot will be greatly reduced and your truck or car runs smoother.

Acetone can reduce hydrocarbon emissions up to 60 percent. In some older cars, the HC readings with acetone in a 1986 GMC went from 440 PPM to 195, as just one example. Though mileage gains taper off with too much acetone, hydrocarbon emissions are nevertheless greatly reduced. Pure acetone is an extremely clean burning fuel that burns in air with a pretty blue, smokeless flame.

Acetone reduces the formation of water-ice crystals in below-zero weather which can damage the fuel filter. Change that fuel filter every year to protect injectors.
    http://www.pureenergysystems.com/news/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Sounds like another case of "if it was that simple everyone would be doing it". Either it just doesn't actually work and/or there has to be a catch somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭iamfromcork

Alun wrote: »
    Sounds like another case of "if it was that simple everyone would be doing it". Either it just doesn't actually work and/or there has to be a catch somewhere.

was thinking that myself ,if it was that simple then why isn't everyone doing it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Acetone is a relatively strong solvent, I'd say it wouldn't take long for your gaskets, valves and seals to go on the engine if you were using this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

Viper_JB wrote: »
    Acetone is a relatively strong solvent, I'd say it wouldn't take long for your gaskets, valves and seals to go on the engine if you were using this.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Viper_JB wrote: »

Plus it stinks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

acetone + ethanol = pissed by putting your finger in the jar :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Why not just get a TDI :D:D:D

*Flame suit ---> Check*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

My brother blew the bo**ix of a Morris Minor engine running it on acetone. It did manage to reach the ton. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've read about people that put acetone in tank with only a few litres of fuel left to pass NCT, then straight to a petrol station and fill up full tank to dilute the acetone. Not sure if it works.

Advertisement