Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's best for the kids?

• 13-08-2010 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

I live in a very rural community but only recently moved there. The only national school available is of course Catholic-run. Everyone in the school makes their 1st Communion. I'm of the opinion that when the time comes I'll bite the bullet and let my kids do the communion thing. Then before they start at secondary school (luckily it's a vocational school nearby) I'll sit them down and explain my athiest "beliefs" and let them know that whatever religon (or hopefully none) they wish to follow in their lives is their choice. Then I'll apologise for being party to misleading them.

Is this for the best? I know it's dishonest but I think they'll settle better into the community.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Sure its all a bit of pretend just like a certain bloke at Christmas, you know the one.

If its a big deal for you and not one for them then ignore it, otherwise let them do their dressing up and get their (sizable amount of) cash. It's more a right of passage than anything serious to most people these days tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If the school will allow your child entry without a baptism cert then just request that your child be exempt from stuff like holy communion etc... The child may feel a little left out though.

Of course it'll be hard for them to be exempt from being told Adam and Eve were the first people, unless they just leave the room!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

I was baptised,had my communion,conformation etc as did my two brothers even though we turned out atheist in the end.
    My mum was atheist and my father catholic but didn't really care for religion but they let us go our own way when it came to religion.
    We were all baptised though and had no say in that but I don't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭sonicthebadger*

Skip the Communion and do something cool with them instead. Go visit some other country or something. Make a fuss of them if you're worried about them feeling left out. I would be as against my kids having Christian doodads as I would be against them having Jewish or Islamic doodads. It's an indoctrination process. Better off out of it I think. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭paultheviking

the other little buggers in the class might pick up on their absence and give them a bit of stick..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Hi Choochtown,

There's been a bunch of threads on baptisms etc here, so not much point in another. Heres the most comprehensive one:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055286242

There's threads about this in the Parenting forum too. TBH, you'll probably get a more balanced response there - not because they aren't all non-religious - but because most of them actually have kids, and not just idealogical ideas. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement