Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Conductive copper tape (Cavity shielding)

• 13-08-2010 1:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has bought conductive copper tape or similar anywhere in Dublin? I was going to order online but I'd prefer to actually buy it in person if possible as the sooner I get it the better.

*Also, I see maplins sell an aluminum tape http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=4098
    I read somewhere that this can be substituted for copper tape, I've also heard of people using household alu foil for cavity and pickguard shielding. Does anyone know if this would work? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

I did the alufoil on mine and it worked very well. You should use conductive spray adhesive, although I got away by linking the foil together so that they all made contact anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭-Blanco-

eoin5 wrote: »
    I did the alufoil on mine and it worked very well. You should use conductive spray adhesive, although I got away by linking the foil together so that they all made contact anyway.

Thanks Eoin, I'll probably end up giving that a go. Is there any brand of conductive spray adhesive in particular I should get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Just had a look there and its extremely hard to get it seems. When I was doing it I didn't even check to be honest. I'd say you'll be ok with standard auld Maplins spray adhesive.

Grand job I'll just give it some lap where needed.. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭Quillo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

-Blanco- wrote: »
    Thanks Eoin, I'll probably end up giving that a go. Is there any brand of conductive spray adhesive in particular I should get?

The construction industry uses self adhesive alu foil for lagging pipes ,air con
    If you know anyone in the game plumbers air con. You can probably buy it over the counter,
    I did my lp junior with it & nearly no hum now ,which is hard to get with p 90s

But i found it worked better when its joined between the cavities , ie a little strip running through the wire holes & then earthed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭FruscianteFan

The aluminium foil works just as good! Just make sure you have all the cavities connected together and then connected to the ground othewise it might not do much for the buzzing, I presume thats your problem? The adhesive backed stuff is the easiest to put on but as long as you have all the foil and cavities connected together you should be good to go! Check out some of the hardware shops, Im sure you will find some of the adhesive backed stuff somewhere if theres no maplins near you!

Great that's what I wanted to hear! I'm gonna give the alu foil and spray adhesive a go tomorrow because I have all that on hand. If by any chance it turns out dodgey I'll get some of the self adhesive stuff in Maplins..
    Cheers for all the info everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

This guy does a disgustingly neat job on shielding his strat:
    http://myfolder.se/myspace/?m=7

I used kitchen foil and spray on adhesive on the back of a strat pickguard myself. That strat suffered from static popping. The foil totally fixed it. I didn't notice its effect on humming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

I bought dimarzio copper tape last time was in the us and used it on my jazz, worked petfectly

• Advertisement

Just to let anyone know who's interested I used the spray adhesive and alu foil method and it seems to have worked great. It was awkward though..very awkward.

Advertisement