Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donation of Rabbit Feed

Options
  • 13-08-2010 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Our little rabbit had passed away on Tuesday :( We really adore bunny rabbits but have decided to take a break from having pet rabbits. We lost 2 rabbits unexpectedly and it hurts too much at the moment.

We have gathered quite some supply for our little rabbit: new bags of rabbit food, treats, hay, cage cleaners and a large bag of wood chips just opened. Have tried contacting DSPCA but they have been very busy and no news so far.

Can anyone suggest a good charity that look after rabbits? Would love to donate what we have.

Thanks so much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Hi, I haven't got any rabbits in at present but I've got two guinea pigs. I'd love to take it if it's still available? Although I am based in Galway, I do have a few volunteers up in Dublin who could collect it for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NibNib

Hi Egar,

Thanks for the reply. Do you mind me asking what charity group are you running? Do you often get rabbits?

I have a few bags of Burgess Excel for rabbits and 2 bags of Excel for Mature Rabbits. I am not sure if they are suitable for guinea pigs? As for the treats and hay I think would be suitable for all small animals.

I also have the cage but of course it is used. My bunny was a house bunny and she used it as a sleeping place and toilet.

It's not very much, but it would give me great comfort if they can be used for good cause.

Thanks,
    NibNib

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I don't think the rabbit food would be suitable for guinea pigs, but the treats should be and hay and the cage would be fine if cleaned/disinfected. :)

Oh and EGAR, I know of someone in Galway who was looking for a rescue guinea pig and having trouble finding one (not sure if they want one or two, cos they already have one and not sure if they want a male or female) so I can ask them if they are still looking if you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Yeh the rabbit food wouldn't be suitable for the guineas and woodchips aren't good for guineas skin but the rest is fine. Perhaps Limerick animal welfare could take the rabbit food they have buns at the sanctuary in a lovely set up like a little rabbit village.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Eibhin

Hi Nib Nib

Sorry to hear about your bunnies. It must be very hard for you at the moment.

I know you have made your decision but just a thought...

One of the vets in Bray rang me yesterday to know would anybody give a home to a stray rabbit they have there at the moment. He has been with them for a week and nobody has claimed him.

Apparently he is a year old, male and black and white. Not neutered.

I know you posted here about donating your bunny equipment and food but I just thought I would mention it.

Maybe some of the other readers/posters might know someone too.

Many thanks
    Eibhin

OP, I run EGAR.

Morganafay, if you have someone looking for "Giddy Pigs" they can contact me via the main EGAR website, please.

As for the rest: I have had ALL the rodents which were handed in over the years on shavings and straw, no ill effect on anyones skin and I buy the rabbit/GP food for them (one bag does all ;) ). So I can't see what the big upheaval is. GP Rescue, how many GP have you got in rescue at present?

Thnaks EGAR, I sent her a link to the website as she is interested. :)

I have my guinea pigs on shavings and have had them on straw before too, and no problems.

And I would think the rabbit/GP food would be fine if they get fresh food too, because they'd be getting their nutrients from veggies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

No big upheaval.

There's been a decline..in our area anyway.. of guinea pigs looking for rescue spaces and for financial reasons we've had to stop taking them in we still try to put people in touch with each other and the new irish guinea pig forum is a great place for people to find out if there are any rescues or unwanted piggies looking for homes.
    Our last pair of guinea pig be rehomed Cotton and Bud took the guts of a year to find the perfect home for, it's not easy finding indoor understanding homes for guineas perhaps things have changed in the last couple of years but that's our experience of it anyway.

Have found gerbils more sensative to woodchips than any other smallie we've had here, their nose in particular. Soon as we switched to carefresh it solved the problem. A few others were the same as they all lived together had to switch to carefresh and it cost a bomb at the time.
    Megazorb was one thing I was trying to get but couldn't get it here.

Always found it messy too used to go everywhere and a pain to hoover up newspaper and hay was cheaper and you just roll it up when cleaning out pigs cages.

Although some woodchips are less dusty now the dust can lead to respiratory problems, and they aparently can absorb the natural oils from the guineas skin. I haven't tested that theory to find out because I stopped using woodchips a looong time ago. Used to be such a pain to clean the stuff sticks everywhere.

Some rabbit foods might be ok for guineas as long as Vit. C is added but it depends on the brand.

Lost all my info. with exact numbers of critters on my computer in the house fire but a lot have come through our doors, with the occasional rabbit, hammie etc.

Sad to say pet shop industry was the cause of a lot of the guineas coming in n don't get me started on the ones where the kids got tired of the pigs and the parents didn't want to know.

I don't just feed them on dry food alone, they get plenty of veg/fruit/branches and have runs which I can move so they can munch the grass outside in fine weather. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NibNib

Sorry to get back to the post so late. It had been quite a week for me.

Eibhin: I probably would have taken the poor little fella in if my bunny hadn't died so unexpectedly...:( So sorry...

EGAR: Would love to give you all the rabbits stuff I have if they would be of help to you. As mentioned before, I have bags of rabbit feeds, a few bags of hay, a bag of newly opened wood chips, bottles of cage cleaners, and lots of treats for small animals. Would the cage be any use to you? As mentioned before, my bunny used it as a place to sleep and she used 2 corners of it as toilet so there would be stain. The best day for me to hand over the stuff would be Friday if that suits your volunteer?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Ive a hamster cage if anyone needs one of if any of you ever rescue hamsters

Advertisement