Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night out in Belfast for first time, where to go??

Options
  • 13-08-2010 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

There is a group of us, about 30 lads, heading to belfast in a couple of weeks for the first time and we are in need for a few pointers as where to go and where to avoid as we are all heading from deep south!!

any information or guide line would be great

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

rigaa wrote: »
    There is a group of us, about 30 lads, heading to belfast in a couple of weeks for the first time and we are in need for a few pointers as where to go and where to avoid as we are all heading from deep south!!

any information or guide line would be great

The berlin on the shankill road is a great spot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Rose and Crown on Victoria St for a pint at the start of the night. There's a good bar next to it, and another bar behind it. Lots of clubs in the city too, but don't know them.

Probably best not to wear any football colours whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 rigaa

excuse my ignorance but is that alright for the like of us lads with funny southern accents, not that any of us have any political views but all we want is a few pints and a bit of craic with out ruffeling any feathers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

rigaa wrote: »
    excuse my ignorance but is that alright for the like of us lads with funny southern accents, not that any of us have any political views but all we want is a few pints and a bit of craic with out ruffeling any feathers!!

I'd say the shankhill recommendation wouldn't be a wise choice. Stay away from the Shankhill and Sandy Row.

The ones in my post should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭TomD101

Rose and Crown on Victoria St for a pint at the start of the night. There's a good bar next to it, and another bar behind it. Lots of clubs in the city too, but don't know them.

Probably best not to wear any football colours whatsoever.

I thought a pub called "The Rose and Crown" would definitely be a place for 30 southern lads to stay away from? OP, I'd look for other suggestions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

There's a Belfast City Forum under 'Region', im sure those lads could provide the best suggestions!

Like all cities, if there are 30 of you, you'll need to be smart about going into bars i.e. small groups if there's a doorman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

TomD101 wrote: »
    I thought a pub called "The Rose and Crown" would definitely be a place for 30 southern lads to stay away from? OP, I'd look for other suggestions!

Not necessarily.

The Crown Bar on Victoria St is the most well known bar in Belfast.
    Realy, that's where all the tourists go.
    Crown in the name doesn't mean you rule it out.

However the Rose and Crown is out on Ormeau Rd. It's like visiting Dublin and drinking in Crumlin, why would you leave the city centre to go to the suburbs??
    Edit: Ormeau Rd is very, very long, depends what part you want to vist

OP, head to Queens University area, student area. Best bars and clubs out there

ya i was thinking as much. we're staying in the premier inn and as far as i can make out it looks pretty central. is there any other areas to avoid or do we just stick to city center and maybe your recommended few bars? I think there may be one of the lads coming that spent a year or two in college up there so we might be ok

There's a Belfast City Forum under 'Region', im sure those lads could provide the best suggestions!

Like all cities, if there are 30 of you, you'll need to be smart about going into bars i.e. small groups if there's a doorman.

Thanks Mr. Roger, i think that rule applys to every county north or south but thanks any way

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Moved from After Hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 18 neilk

There are 3 good bars at the top of the street you're staying in. The Limelight, Spring and Airbrake and Katy Daly's. They're basically all the one place.

The premier inn is at the bottom of the Ormeau Road so if you want to visit the Rose and Crown its about a 10 min walk (I wouldn't bother though).

There are lots and lots of clubs in town, and at the Odyssey Complex, and good clubs and bars in the Cathedral Quarter area.

If there are 30 of you, I'd be going in groups of 4-5, and be well spread out otherwise you've no mission of all getting into the same place. Doormen don't like big groups of fellas for whatever reason.

And stick to the centre of town for 2 reasons, firstly it'll be all well mixed, and secondly that's where all the decent places to go are.

Advertisement