Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Iarnród Éireann -maybe three of you can, maybe none of you can - rant

• 13-08-2010 3:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭

Last Saturday, I went down to Galway station with my bike to get the 9.05 train to Dublin. Bought a ticket for me and a ticket for my bike an joined the queue on the platform, I saw a group of 4 other guys with bikes ahead of me, kind of hanging around the platform, not getting on the train. When I got to the head of the queue I was told there was no room on the train for my bike. I assumed that this was related to the other guys taking the ‘minimum three bikes’ quoted by Iarnród Éireann. When I went back to the ticket office for a refund, a member of Iarnród Éireann staff skipped ahead of me to try and get a refund for the four other guys, who it emerge weren’t being allowed on the train either. I asked the Iarnród Éireann Guy, why no bikes were allowed on. He said he didn’t know, I’d have to ask the supervisor. I then asked the women in the ticket office, she rang some one up and said - “there’s no room for bikes on this train, or the next one” I said why? She said “There’s no room”, I said is it because there’s no carriage with racks, she said “yes”.
    I’ve rung Iarnród Éireann customer services about this and they’re sticking to the ‘minimum three bikes’ as the only information they have.

I’m guessing what’s happening is that some train’s are assembled without carriages that can carry bikes. You can’t tell in advance from timetables which trains can or can’t carry bikes.

So basically if you want to take your bike on the train, no matter how early you turn up. Its pot luck if they’ll take your bike, even if you are the only one with a bike.

Essentially there may or may not be a service available for you and there’s no way of knowing in advance. As far as I’m concerned this lottery is almost like not offering the service fullstop. Its also a regression on the service up to 3-4 years ago when there was a guards’ wagon.

If they didn’t take bikes on trains then they’d have to defend that policy. Instead they have the veneer of a service, which is actually impossible to use if you have any sort of schedule to keep to.

Imagine if the toll booths on motorways were open 24 hours a day(which they are), but might be closed for 6 hours stretch every now and then!

I asked the customer services person several time why this happened and how I can avoid it happening again by finding out in advance. But she was sticking rigidly to the “Intercity services Iarnród Éireann can carry a minimum of three bicycles, is the only information I have line”.

After a life time of shoulder shrugging I’ve had enough! At a minimum the time tables should show which trains carry bikes and they should make 100% sure those train always carry bikes, preferably more than 3.
    Any suggestions how I should follow this up, I’ve put-in a complaint to through an Iarnród Éireann on-line form. No word back yet. I’m basically livid that despite Govt. rhetoric about integrated transport, etc. we’re now in a much worse state as regards carrying your bike on a train than we were before these new trains came along.

I wonder is it possible to FOI the cack-handed decision making process that allowed this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Piercemeear

I'm about to try get my bike on the train to Tralee this evening. I kind of wish I hadn't read this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

It's your typical semi-state. No accountability to anyone and no power over useless staff because of the union. You will never hear back from that complaint I'm certain.

There's one way I thought of to piss them off at the very least. Complain to the ASA. They are advertising that they can carry three bikes but you now have emperical evidence that this is bull. The ASA can force them to remove that. Then we're in a situation where they don't carry bikes officially and I'll bet my mortgage that there's an EU rule somewhere that they would be breaking in that situation.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I'm sure by now everybody knows I hate Iarnród Éireann and all forms of public transport in Ireland. The staff here in Kilkenny station are lovely and on the trains are generally lovely but beyond that you end up in pooh. There is secure location on all the newer trains for bikes. If there's not a bike rack on the first/last carriage for bikes there are those storage spaces beside the disabbled jacks. These are very simple to open. Next time you're told there's no racks ask if the storage beside the disabled jacks is full, there's even a hanger there for a bike.
    TTFN

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Surely you can carry it as "luggage" if it's in a black bag, with the wheels removed? Probably don't even need to have a ticket for it then either. :rolleyes:

IÉ are just pathetic. On the other hand, I got the Enterprise from Belfast down to Dublin in April. Didn't need to book the bike in advance, staff were very helpful, cost nothing extra for putting the bike in the van at the front of the train.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

kenmc wrote: »
    Surely you can carry it as "luggage" if it's in a black bag, with the wheels removed? Probably don't even need to have a ticket for it then either. :rolleyes:

According to a letter in the Irish Times this was the advice given by Iarnród Éireann to a woman who wanted to travel by train with a bike and shock horror some friends also with bikes!

This is the kind of work-a-round instititutional stupidity I'd expect in communist era Poland not in a representative democracy with a 'green' party in government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I traveled to and from Galway by train, with a bike, a couple of months back. Knowing that I couldn't book a ticket for my bike in advance (another example of the uselessness of the service!) I rang Heuston station to ask them whether they could tell me if there were bike spaces available before I committed to going to the station by bike. All they could tell me was that they couldn't tell me, basically. As per your experience you have to turn up on the day and hope for the best. They did say though that there "shouldn't be a problem" which is an Irish answer to an Irish problem ("you might die but sure you'll probably be fine so just work away"). Likewise at the Galway end the person at the ticket counter said the very same thing i.e. you might be stranded with your bike, but it'll probably be fine.

As it happens, there were 2 other bikes on the same train as me on the way back from Galway. The carriage had space for only 2 (which I thought was the maximum that they committed to) so the third guy left his bike leaning against the outside of the train driver's door. It duly fell over when the driver, or someone with him, popped out at one stage. I expected there to be a scene when that happened but he just shrugged, stepped over it, and continued on his way.

I agree with you, there is absolutely no sense to the service and there never has been. Years ago I used to travel between Dublin and Cork quite often with a bike, when there was a guard's van. Even then it was problematic as sometimes the guard's van in Cork station was beyond the end of the platform. Having to stand at track level and hoist my bike above my head into the guard's van once was enough for me so each other time I just wheeled my bike onto the last carriage at the platform and wheeled it down to the guard's van, invariably having to go through first class to get there. More than once I was confronted by an Iarnrod Eireann employee who told me I couldn't do this but when I asked them for an alternative they usually relented.

"Service" is too kind a word for what they offically offer to cyclists, the only reason it ever seemed to work/works is due to some of their employees choosing to be flexible and bending the official rules now and again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

All bets are off on Planet Siptune, the Unionoids are a strange race, their logic is beyond analysis by a normal well adjusted human mind...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

The following is the most up-to-date information I have, not directly from Iarnrod Eireann but from someone in regular correspondence with them. It would seem that the Dublin-Galway route as indicated above is indeed pot luck as to what class of railcar is scheduled for that departure. If it's not the version with racks, you're out of luck and there's no way of telling beforehand:
    No problem on Dublin/Cork trains (except 0800 and 0900 ex-Dublin and 1130 and 1230 ex-Cork) and connection to Limerick, and Dublin/Belfast. Loads of room in the guards van.

On routes from Dublin to Galway, Tralee (including connections from Mallow), Westport and Waterford, and direct Dublin/Limerick trains, along with the trains to/from Cork mentioned above there ought to be space for two bikes in racks and one in a press on each train – but not all trains are kitted out with the racks as yet. If there are two 3-car railcars joined together rather than 1 3-piece or 1 6-piece then there would be space for 6 bikes – but that is pot luck! The only exception is the 0520 Tralee/Mallow and 2100 Cork/Tralee which do not carry bikes.

On Dublin/Sligo the same (3 bikes) applies except for the following trains when no bikes can be carried as they are operated by commuter railcars:

Monday/Thursday:
    0905 ex-Dublin; 1300 ex-Sligo

Fridays:
    0905 and 1305 ex-Dublin; 1300 and 1700 ex-Sligo

Saturdays:
    1305 ex-Dublin and 1700 ex-Sligo

Sundays:
    1305 and 1505 ex-Dublin; 1700 and 1900 ex-Sligo

Dublin/Rosslare:

Same restriction applies on Dublin/Rosslare trains. Trains that operate to/from Wexford, Arklow or Gorey only do not carry bikes. Only those going all the way to Rosslare.

Should not be a problem on Galway-Limerick, Limerick-Limerick Junction-Waterford-Rosslare, or Limerick-Ballybrophy but again it depends on racking (if they are full or not) and the mood of the checker/guard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Ant

langdang wrote: »
    All bets are off on Planet Siptune, the Unionoids are a strange race, their logic is beyond analysis by a normal well adjusted human mind...

I think you'll find, if you talk to them, that most of the Irish Rail workers themselves despair at having to deal with the problems caused by bad management decisions. Any time I've brought a bike on to a train or Bus Éireann, the staff were apologetic for the lousy service provision and customer unfriendly regulations that they were supposed to be enforcing. Though you do find some ignorant and/or apathetic individuals, the workers generally try to be accommodating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

oflahero wrote: »
    The following is the most up-to-date information I have, not directly from Iarnrod Eireann but from someone in regular correspondence with them. It would seem that the Dublin-Galway route as indicated above is indeed pot luck as to what class of railcar is scheduled for that departure. If it's not the version with racks, you're out of luck and there's no way of telling beforehand:

It's nothing to do with class of railcar (all trains to Galway are now the new railcars) - it's purely down to which railcars have racks fitted or not.

When IR got the new trains, they didn't have any racks at all for bikes (only the storage cupboard beside the disabled toilets). When this was pointed out (by RUI amongst others) they started a project to retrofit racks. Only they never got around to retrofitting them to all railcars for some reason.

There is at least one six car set (one of the first class ones) and a good few three car sets without the racks (I've been taking notes of the numbers).

There should always be room for at least one bike though.

penexpers wrote: »
    Only they never got around to retrofitting them to all railcars for some reason.
    did the drivers demand extra pay for the "extra responsibility" ? http://m.rte.ie/news/2005/0814/dart.html

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

did the drivers demand extra pay for the "extra responsibility" ? http://m.rte.ie/news/2005/0814/dart.html

I've heard it all now (thought its 5 years old now) :rolleyes:
    So if they drive shorter trains will they then take a pay cut for less responsibility? :D
    Bloody unions and this type of lark

Cabaal wrote: »
    So if they drive shorter trains will they then take a pay cut for less responsibility? :D
    Bloody unions and this type of lark
    I presume that, very much like benchmarking of the public sector, it only works one way. Such are the laws of physics and mathematics on planet Siptune.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I think its the management rather than the unions' fault that a.) there isn't sufficient provision for carrying bikes and b.) there is no way of knowing that there will be a slot free in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Rabble, rabble, rabble. Bloody unions ruining our fine country.

Sure they're the cause of all our ills aren't they? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

I'm about to try get my bike on the train to Tralee this evening. I kind of wish I hadn't read this.

Been there, done that, had the rant.

Honda Accord Tourers FTW

[If you read really carefully between the lines you can just about guess what happened. ]

droidus wrote: »
    Rabble, rabble, rabble. Bloody unions ruining our fine country.

Sure they're the cause of all our ills aren't they? :rolleyes:
    Careful now, you'll de-rail the thread....:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

I presume that, very much like benchmarking of the public sector, it only works one way. Such are the laws of physics and mathematics on planet Siptune.

The private sector isn't immune from this mentality either, you know- upward only rent reviews, anyone?

[/touchy public servant.;)]

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

2505UNIONSZ.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

The heart of this problem is that IR bought a lot of new trains with little or no provision for bicycles. The retro fitting also seems to be a inefficent use of space. I don't think the individual member or collective union can be blamed for this. Somebody or a number of people signed off on the purchase. The blame lies with these guys, or their predecessors:

http://www.cie.ie/about_us/board_members.asp#group

http://www.cie.ie/about_us/shareholder_information.asp

I doubt the Union give a dam about bikes. I've never had any problems with idividual members of staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Macros42 wrote: »
    It's your typical semi-state. No accountability to anyone and no power over useless staff because of the union. You will never hear back from that complaint I'm certain.
    Is there any slightest hint anywhere that this issue is actually related to trade unions? Or do we just blame everything on trade unions without having any idea of the facts?
    Macros42 wrote: »
    There's one way I thought of to piss them off at the very least. Complain to the ASA. They are advertising that they can carry three bikes but you now have emperical evidence that this is bull. The ASA can force them to remove that. Then we're in a situation where they don't carry bikes officially and I'll bet my mortgage that there's an EU rule somewhere that they would be breaking in that situation.

You're way of the mark. There is no ASA in Ireland. There is an ASAI. It is a self-appointed group with absolutely no power. It only looks at actual adverts, and I haven't seen Iarnrod Eireann advertising anything to do with bikes recently.

Good night and God bless, you've been a great crowd.
    I'm off to my private sector mansion to light my private sector fire with some of my private sector bonus...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

They did not get the pay rise that they sought or any pay rise for driving the longer trains.

It was nothing to do with unions or the like. It was basically a design fault. The trains were designed with insufficient bike space and that is the problem plain and simple.

On routes from Dublin to Galway, Tralee (including connections from Mallow), Westport and Waterford, and direct Dublin/Limerick trains, along with the trains to/from Cork mentioned above there ought to be space for two bikes in racks and one in a press on each train – but not all trains are kitted out with the racks as yet. If there are two 3-car railcars joined together rather than 1 3-piece or 1 6-piece then there would be space for 6 bikes – but that is pot luck! The only exception is the 0520 Tralee/Mallow and 2100 Cork/Tralee which do not carry bikes.

This means that the 1900 train I was going to get to Tralee after work will drop me in Mallow with my bike and then I won't be able to take the Mallow/Tralee connection (which passes through Mallow at 0930)?

Should I just wait until tomorrow? I don't want to get stranded in Mallow at half nine.

Blast this country.

CheGuedara wrote: »
    Been there, done that, had the rant.

Honda Accord Tourers FTW

[If you read really carefully between the lines you can just about guess what happened. ]

I'm sorry, I'm really tired and I can't read between the lines. Since I'm leaving for the train station if an hour if I'm leaving it would be great if you could be explicit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Has anyone tried this? I would be very tempted.

How come they cannot have trains such as those in Germany where you can just wheel your bike onto the train. Loads of room any time I have been on the trains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

IE could easily store your bike in the carriage where they carry parcels/mail etc.

I know that the new trains do have in-carriage bike storage.

But they also have a separate carriage to carry parcels and other large post and thse carriages are big enough to carry bikes also.

Crazy stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

This means that the 1900 train I was going to get to Tralee after work will drop me in Mallow with my bike and then I won't be able to take the Mallow/Tralee connection (which passes through Mallow at 0930)?

Should I just wait until tomorrow? I don't want to get stranded in Mallow at half nine.

Blast this country.

This is some small print from the online timetables which suggest that you can't bring the bike on the Cork-Mallow train:
    Limited Bicycle accommodation on all services, except Cork/Mallow/Cork local commuter services, check irishrail.ie/your_journey/bicycle_information.asp

That URL they direct you to is useless as it gives no further info that would elaborate on your options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

I'm sorry, I'm really tired and I can't read between the lines. Since I'm leaving for the train station if an hour if I'm leaving it would be great if you could be explicit.

OK then....On more than one occasion when trying to get the bike on the bike on the train in Tralee they fobbed me off on excuses rangin from there's no space, no carriage for it to go on, no one to mind it and offered no refund for my ticket leaving me stranded till the following day. At the same time they were utterly incapable of telling me which (if any) train the following day would allow me to transport the bike.

On the train to Tralee I'v had *Major* trouble at Mallow having had to fight to get the bike onto a train several times and being dumped there once leaving me to organise someone to drive from Tralee to Mallow to pick me up.

Thus -- it's time to take the train car*

*which is more comfortable, more economic, faster and can take several bikes quibble free :D

Good luck lad, I'm afraid you might need it

CheGuedara wrote: »
    OK then....On more than one occasion when trying to get the bike on the bike on the train in Tralee they fobbed me off on excuses rangin from there's no space, no carriage for it to go on, no one to mind it and offered no refund for my ticket leaving me stranded till the following day. At the same time they were utterly incapable of telling me which (if any) train the following day would allow me to transport the bike.

On the train to Tralee I'v had *Major* trouble at Mallow having had to fight to get the bike onto a train several times and being dumped there once leaving me to organise someone to drive from Tralee to Mallow to pick me up.

Thus -- it's time to take the train car*

*which is more comfortable, more economic, faster and can take several bikes quibble free :D

Good luck lad, I'm afraid you might need it

Okay, that's helpful. Thanks CheGuedara.

If that's the case I'm inclined to leave it til tomorrow and take the one direct train at 1705. I'm heading down for a week's holidays in Dingle so hanging on in Dublin one extra day won't kill me.

Have you taken that direct train before?

Blast this country.

I'd do what's been suggested above Piercemeear; grab a black sack before you leave work and, if you arrive in Mallow and the 2130 is indeed bike-free, whip the wheels off and stuff it all in the bag before hopping on. At least you'll have an emergency backup plan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I'd do what's been suggested above Piercemeear; grab a black sack before you leave work and, if you arrive in Mallow and the 2130 is indeed bike-free, whip the wheels off and stuff it all in the bag before hopping on. At least you'll have an emergency backup plan!
    That sounds like a good plan. Friend of mine always does it, and as far as I know it's always worked for him. Occasionally he's been challenged by staff and has had to call the station manager, who has then allowed him on.

I bring a folding bike, but even then I bring a black bag to put it in. Not taking any chances with trains or buses in this country.

Well, I'll try all this tomorrow. Work has just conveniently exploded in my face and removed the difficult decision I had to make about getting the train tonight. I'll be here an hour or two yet.

I'll head tomorrow and it'll also hopefully allow me to arrive early enough to cycle to Dingle from Tralee and not demand a lift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

hinault wrote: »
    IE could easily store your bike in the carriage where they carry parcels/mail etc.
    Nope. Can't see that happening. Not because of IE, but because I doubt AnPost will let you. In saying that, I wonder how much it would cost to post your bike to the station you were getting off at?

=-=

From trying to take a bike on a commuter train, I know that the train staff don't care, but the security don't like it. Plead, and they will, but they'll warn you that if they catch you doing it again, they'll throw you off the train.

=-=

From http://www.irishrail.ie/your_journey/bicycle_information.asp
    DART or Commuter trains bicycles cannot be carried unless folded and suitably covered.

http://www.irishrail.ie/home/ConditionsOfTravel.pdf says
    Iarnród Éireann reserves the right to refuse to carry heavy or bulky luggage or bicycles
    In http://www.irishrail.ie/your_journey/printed_timetable_pdfs/2010/Dublin%20Tralee%2010.pdf it says
    Limited Bicycle accommodation on all services, except Cork/Mallow/Cork local commuter services, check irishrail.ie/your_journey/bicycle_information.asp

=-=

I am finding the part on http://www.irishrail.ie/your_journey/bicycle_information.asp that says
    On Intercity services Iarnród Éireann can carry a minimum of three bicycles

Rather odd. What then, is the maximum number of bikes the trains can carry? I'd love to get the book of all the rules, turn up up 20 bikes, and get on the train, citing that you have over the 3 bikes minimum :P :pac:

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    Rather odd. What then, is the maximum number of bikes the trains can carry? I'd love to get the book of all the rules, turn up up 20 bikes, and get on the train, citing that you have over the 3 bikes minimum :P :pac:

It is funny phraseology alright. I had visions of desperate Irish Rail staff crouching at the side of the road outside the station ambushing Freds and dragging them onto the train so that the 3-bike minimum was satisfied, and they could finally set off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

hinault wrote: »

I know that the new trains do have in-carriage bike storage.

But they also have a separate carriage to carry parcels and other large post and thse carriages are big enough to carry bikes also.

Crazy stuff

Only on Dublin/Cork (excluding 0800 and 0900 ex-Dublin and 1130 and 1230 ex-Cork) and Dublin/Belfast have that extra coach.

All other trains no longer have the separate guard's van and only have limited bicycle space.

KC61 wrote: »
    There should be space for 3 bikes on the 0930 Mallow/Tralee.

It's only the 0520 ex-Tralee and the 2100 ex-Cork that do not have space.

Apologies, I mixed up my 24hour clock and 12 hour there. The 2100 ex-Cork IS the 2130 (which I called 0930) Mallow/Tralee train.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,497 ✭✭✭✭Victor

the_syco wrote: »
    Its either 3 or 6. However, some sets have been found with only the cupboard and no rack, so thats only 1.

There are problems with the reservation system and until thats sorted bike reservations are unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭daroadlescycled

axer wrote: »
    Has anyone tried this? I would be very tempted.

How come they cannot have trains such as those in Germany where you can just wheel your bike onto the train. Loads of room any time I have been on the trains.

I brought a bike (last sept) in a bike bag from Dublin to Tralee, put it on the rack over the seats in the passenger carrige, no one mentioned a word, Mallow to Tralee was on the ground @ the end of the carrige, which can be used for push chars etc.

I think the bike bag dosen't look that big. The only prob have you a place to store it when you get to your destination.

• Advertisement

Update: I am reliably informed by my mole that the remaining cars are to be fitted with the racks "over the next few weeks." Not the most precise timeline I will admit, but at least you can assert with confidence in a couple of months that there is, in fact, capacity on the train you are about to board and can't be fobbed off with a 'no space for bikes' excuse.

Of course, you're still screwed if a party of tourers turns up to the station before you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

I took a bike on the Dublin to Mallow – Mallow to Killarney train a couple of weeks ago. It was off peak, 11am train on a Wednesday I think. The staff were super friendly at Hueston and I bought my bike ticket. I asked could/should I book a return for the bike and the cashier there would be no need to book in advance and I’ll be fine no matter what day I return.

I was pointed towards the back on the train to the storage carriage. One staff member seemed a bit pissed off that he had to open the door for me but other than that it was fine. The carriage was completely empty except for my bike. I reckon you could fit at least 30 bikes in the carriage on that particular day. I just lay it on the floor and took my seat.

Arrived in Mallow to transfer to a DART type train. Staff there were happy for me to lean the bike against the side doors.

The return journey, a sunday afternoon, different trains were used and I had to put the bike in a rack, of which they were only 2. Again, the staff were very friendly and asked where I was cycling to etc.

It might be an idea for organisers of sportives etc to contact Irish Rail and ask them to fit the massive storage carriage on to trains for a particular event.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Just a few notes:

I'm not going into detail, but staff can be fairly flexible / accommodating if you ask nicely -- clearly this is more problematic when four people turn up at a station.

Irish Rail claiming that the cabinet one of the three spaces available is bit dishonest when it's often hard to find somebody with a key and the cabinet can be full with the trolley, supplies for the trolley and medical supplies. But if you persist you should be able to get a bike in there most of the time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

monument wrote: »
    Just a few notes:

I'm not going into detail, but staff can be fairly flexible / accommodating if you ask nicely -- clearly this is more problematic when four people turn up at a station.

Irish Rail claiming that the cabinet one of the three spaces available is bit dishonest when it's often hard to find somebody with a key and the cabinet can be full with the trolley, supplies for the trolley and medical supplies. But if you persist you should be able to get a bike in there most of the time.

You don't need a key to open it.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

You don't need a key to open it.

You do when it's locked when there's supplies for the trolley and medical supplies in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,497 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Virtualy all train doors are opened with a special key that is issued to every member of staff. The offi9cial like is that the cupboard is not for the trolley (despite matching the dimensions exactly and having a drain in the floor).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

3 bikes is a crazily low capacity. A small group of friends would easily max it out.

I know I'm very late to get back to this but I'm just back from my week sans Internet in West Kerry. Got the 07:00 to Tralee on Saturday morning and the bike was taken in the empty post carriage behind the engine.

Changed at Mallow and when a commuter-looking train pulled up I was a bit nervous but the guys beckoned me down and there were two bike racks in the back of the last carriage just beyond the end seats. Smooth as anything. Everyone was friendly and accommodating. I was the only passenger with a bicycle.

Something completely magical about wheeling your bike off the platform at Tralee, climbing on and cycling off the Dingle. Arrived in time for a late lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭ktz84

Was down in Waterford the week before last so involved trains at Belfast and Dublin on the way there and Waterford and Dublin on the way back. No problems at all with putting my bike on. Indeed at Waterford I asked where the bike rack was and the guy said check the end one if it isn't there to come back and see him and he would find somewhere to put it. I didn't need to go back to him as there were racks at the back but appreciated the offer anyway.

It's a pity they feel the need to charge for the bikes. In the North bikes go free though you can't take them on before 9.30am. It cost me 25.50 Euro for the bike alone but I guess if it means we get to take our bikes (most of the time) on the trains then I suppose it's better that than the alternative.

Hassle-free train trip from Cork-Dublin 15:30 yesterday with the bike, after spinning down Friday evening & Saturday. Pre-booked ticket, had to go to the counter for the bike supplement, wheeled it down to the guards' van (guard's van?) and forgot about it. Easily retrieved in Heuston. Staff very accommodating and pleasant throughout.

Only minuses are the €8 supplement and not being able to sort that online while booking the main ticket, but I imagine that factoring in bike spaces into the IT booking systems would be something of a pain alright.

• Advertisement
Advertisement