Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are You Superstitious?

• 13-08-2010 3:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

It being Friday 13th and a discussion on the radio just made me think about this. I'm not at all, but among my friends and acquaintenances it's nearly all females who are superstitious, in terms of not holding a big event today, or the magpie nonsense, or walking under ladders.

I thought it was interesting that several people on the vox pop on the radio seemed to think they weren't superstitious but "wouldn't tempt fate anyway". Which in my mind IS being superstitious!! I walk under ladders on purpose, if the alternative is walking on the road, although I understand doing so while a guy is standing on top holding a hammer or something is a little risky ;)

What do you think? Do you think it's more common among women?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I walk under ladders every chance I get, usually to watch as people look on horrified. A girl I used to work with was the most superstitious person ever, if she saw a magpie she'd actually go out of her way to find another one, ludicrous behaviour for an adult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

You mean do I suffer from triskaidekaphobia? :D

I enjoy superstitions the way I enjoy folklore. I felt a little thrill when I realised today was Friday 13th but it would never rule how I would act today, just something fun to throw into the conversation from time to time.

There is nothing that I wouldn't do out of superstition but a lot of things that are considered superstitious (umbrellas in the house, walking under ladders, breaking mirrors, lighting 3 cigarettes with the same match) are based on simple common sense.

But others like counting magpies, stepping on cracks would have no effect on me ... touch wood. :)

Here's a list of common superstitions I found on line to get the party going:

- Friday the thirteenth is an unlucky day
    - A rabbit's foot brings good luck
    - An apple a day keeps the doctor away
    - To find a four-leaf clover is to find good luck
    - If you walk under a ladder, you will have bad luck
    - If a black cat crosses your path you will have bad luck
    - To break a mirror will bring you seven years bad luck
    - To open an umbrella in the house is to bring bad luck
    - To find a horseshoe brings good luck
    - Step on a crack, break your mother's back
    - You can break a bad luck spell by turning seven times in a clockwise circle
    - Garlic protects from evil spirits and vampires
    - Our fate is written in the stars
    - At the end of a rainbow is a pot of gold
    - Clothes worn inside out will bring good luck
    - Wearing your birthstone will bring you good luck
    - If you blow out all of the candles on your birthday cake with the first breath you will get whatever you wish for
    - To have a wish come true using a wishbone, two people make a wish, then take hold of each end of the bone and pull it until it separates. The person with the longer end gets his or her wish
    - An itchy palm means money will come your way
    - A beginner will always have good luck: beginner's luck
    - A cat has nine lives
    - Eating fish makes you smart
    - Toads cause warts
    - A cricket in the house brings good luck
    - Crossing your fingers helps to avoid bad luck and helps a wish come true
    - It is bad luck to sing at the table
    - It is bad luck to sleep on a table
    - After receiving a container of food, the container should never be returned empty
    - A lock of hair from a baby's first haircut should be kept for good luck
    - A bird that comes in your window brings bad luck
    - To refuse a kiss under mistletoe causes bad luck
    - Goldfish in the pond bring good luck
    - Goldfish in the house bring bad luck
    - For good luck, wear new clothes on Easter
    - An acorn at the window can keep lightning out of the house
    - If the bottom of your feet itch, you will make a trip
    - When a dog howls, death is near
    - It is bad luck to chase someone with a broom
    - A sailor wearing an earring cannot drown
    - To find a penny heads up, brings good luck
    - To cure a sty, rub it with a gold wedding band
    - Animals can talk at midnight on Christmas Eve
    - A drowned woman floats face up, a drowned man floats face down
    - A person cannot drown before going under three times
    - To drop a fork means a woman will visit
    - To drop a knife means a man will visit
    - To drop a spoon means a child will visit
    - To drop a dishcloth means bad luck is coming
    - If you shiver, someone is casting a shadow on your grave
    - To make a happy marriage, the bride must wear: something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue
    - The wedding veil protects the bride from the evil eye
    - Washing a car will bring rain
    - You must get out of bed on the same side you got in on or you will have bad luck
    - Evil spirits cannot harm you when you are standing in a circle
    - A cat will try to take the breath from a baby
    - Warm hands, cold heart
    - Cold hands, warm heart
    - It is unlucky to rock an empty rocking chair
    - To kill an albatross is to cause bad luck to the ship and all upon it
    - Wearing an opal when it is not your birthstone is bad luck
    - Smell dandelions, wet the bed
    - To give someone a purse or wallet without money in it will bring that person bad luck
    - A forked branch, held with a fork in each hand, will dip and point when it passes over water

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Animals can talk at midnight on christmas eve? I haven't even heard of half of those, thanks LittleBook!

No, I'm not superstitious, I deliberately walk under ladders and on cracks (when safe to do so) - I don't have any funny rituals or change behaviour based on luck or the fear of attracting bad luck. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

mostly no, stuff like walking under ladders or having umbrellas open inside wouldnt bother me. but id be funny about things like touching wood if i say something that could potentially go wrong.

cant think of anything else really. i accidentally stood on a mirror a few years ago and it smashed but nothing bad has happened so far in the years that have followed... (*touch wood* :pac:)

The dandelions one reminded me of something I learned in France:

The flower in France is named "dents de lion" which in English literally means "lion's teeth" and phonetically is very, very close to "dandelion".

In the vernacular it's also known as the "pissenlit" which translates to "piss-a-bed" which is an English folk-name for the plant.

Hence the superstition about peeing in bed ...? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I like to think that the Irish evolved from faerie folk and I believe in piseógs. I think they're so interesting too and love the history behind them. Plus I do worry when I see a single magpie and salute them and then "touch green, never seen" with a leaf or some grass! :o:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Superstition is nothing more than stories from the past wherein people tried to reconcile good or bad (though mostly bad) events with some sort of 'trigger'.

"I got a fatal disease today...."
    "Musta been that magpie you saw earlier."

The thought process behind it is that if things that we can't control are 'triggered' by things we can, we can ultimately control our own fate and set ourselves on a better path. People can get really hung up on things like this and it's kinda sad. Having a better life isn't about trying to avoid pitfalls, it's about doing things that make you happy and learning to pick yourself up when you fall.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

A little of column A, a little of column B.

I've no problem walking under ladders, or stepping on cracks. Or putting shoes on tables or opening an umbrella indoors.

But I always salute a single magpie and if am speaking of something that I hope won't happen, always say Touch wood and then knock the nearest piece of wood I can find.

The magpie one i'm practically fanatical about to be honest. My sister thought I'd developed some sort of funny twitch one day as I was constantly saluting the glut of magpies in our housing estate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

I always salute magpies and get slightly distressed if I can't find a second one and I never walk under ladders, open umbrellas indoors or avoid making eye-contact when toasting.

I don't actually believe it but it's a habit.

I think the belief in a God is the biggest superstition of them all and this is not confined to just women as we all know.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I wouldn't consider myself superstitious. Sometimes the phrases I use are rooted in superstition, like if someone is doing a driving test I'll say "I'll cross my fingers for you", but that's more a way of saying good luck and I never actually bother crossing my fingers :D

I find it really bizarre when people take some superstitions too seriously. I frequently open umbrellas indoors if I've just come inside from heavy rain, I want to let it dry out before I put it away in its case because I don't want it to smell like wet dog, a lot of people will go "OMG don't open an umbrella indoors that's such bad luck!" Well I seem to be fine?!

The one that really took the biscuit was a few years ago when I was crossing the Liffey to go to work and a seagull pooed on my head. It mostly got in my hair and down the left side of my face, and a bit on my coat and scarf. I was absolutely mortified, I had to wipe as much off with my scarf as possible (I haven't felt the same about the scarf ever since, even though it's been washed) I arrived in work smeared in bird shít and one of the other staff had to help me wash my hair in the staffroom sink. The most common response to this story, after laughter, is "That's meant to be very good luck". GOOD LUCK? :confused: Being pooed on by a manky Dublin seagull doesn't strike me as being particularly lucky, how do they work that one out? The only answer I can come up with is that it's an attempt at consoling the soiled victim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

When I was in University I took a 300 level psych class on Personality.

Basically there is this theory about something called the locus of control. People with an internal locus of control feel that everything that happens is due to their own actions, and people with an external locus of control essentially believe in things like luck and that things happen for a reason and thus can also be superstitious.

There was research to suggest that as we age, our locus of control becomes more externalised: ie, as we age we realise that some things are after all out of our control. Probably experiencing the death of someone close to you would make you feel like life had dealt you a hard time and that it wasn't your doing. But there was no gender difference.

So I'd say that just as many men are superstitious as women. For example my husband simply will NOT open an umbrella indoors and nearly goes into a fit if I do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I don't think I'm superstitious at all, in fact as someone else mentioned I also make a point of walking under ladders, not so much to see anyones reaction, just cause!

Not that I believe in any bad luck because of it, but I really don't see why any one would have any reason to open an umbrella inside...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

No, I'm in no way superstitious. Just couldn't be arsed! It takes too much unnecessary effort avoiding cracks in the pavement and throwing salt over your shoulder and all that crap. I'll take my chances with the bad luck!

The worst I've ever seen is a friend of mine was building a house with her fiancé. They threw a fifty euro note into the foundations because apparently it brings you wealth in the future. :eek: Pure craziness! And they wouldn't even be particularly well-off at all. Same lady insisted on cutting her honeymoon from a 14 night to a 10 night holiday, so that they'd be home the right day to move into the house together on a Friday (or was it a Saturday?! Whichever one is "lucky".)

I reckon it's largely to do with your upbringing. I definitely don't remember either of my parents believing in any of that stuff, so it never rubbed off on any of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

I'm quite superstitious, even though there's precious little sense in it. But I definately am a triskaidekaphobic. I don't even like when the car radio is on volume level 13. :o

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I really don't see why any one would have any reason to open an umbrella inside...

To let it dry out! If you have a compact umbrella that folds in two places, water can get stuck in there and make it smell funny. I wouldn't bother if it was just light rain, but if it was heavy at all I'd leave the umbrella open to dry out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

yeah, we always dried umbrellas open on the floor at home. Or it's good to check if an umbrella is still working before you bring it with you. Or to check how big it opens up to in the shop you're buying it. Many reasons to open an umbrella indoors :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Captainship

Malari wrote: »
    It being Friday 13th and a discussion on the radio just made me think about this. I'm not at all, but among my friends and acquaintenances it's nearly all females who are superstitious, in terms of not holding a big event today, or the magpie nonsense, or walking under ladders.

I thought it was interesting that several people on the vox pop on the radio seemed to think they weren't superstitious but "wouldn't tempt fate anyway". Which in my mind IS being superstitious!! I walk under ladders on purpose, if the alternative is walking on the road, although I understand doing so while a guy is standing on top holding a hammer or something is a little risky ;)

What do you think? Do you think it's more common among women?

Dont bring a rucksack or umbrella on a ship.BAD LUCK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭dammitjanet

My OH is very superstitious, he hates Friday the 13th. That said I hate the full moon, I maintain all the freaks come out on the full moon (first noticed it when I started working in retail and we were open late at night)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I guess I am kind of superstitious. I used get very caught up with magpies, until hoards of them started nesting in the trees that my bedroom window faces. I was constantly seeing the feckers in ones, twos, threes, twenties...

I did get concerned about today being Friday the 13th. When my plans for the night fell through, I thought "There ya go, shouldn't have scheduled it for that date!". I prefer not to walk under ladders, but I'm not a big 'touch wood' person. Reading over the list above, I'd ignore most of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

My OH is very superstitious, he hates Friday the 13th. That said I hate the full moon, I maintain all the freaks come out on the full moon (first noticed it when I started working in retail and we were open late at night)

lunar=moon
    lunatics=crazy people

thats where it comes from ya see :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭unepetite

Faith wrote: »
    I did get concerned about today being Friday the 13th. When my plans for the night fell through, I thought "There ya go, shouldn't have scheduled it for that date!". I prefer not to walk under ladders, but I'm not a big 'touch wood' person. Reading over the list above, I'd ignore most of them.

Hehe. It's odd. I'm not generally a superstitious person at all. In fact, I'd probably be a little dismissive and flippant about the whole thing. However, I was flying today, and it occurred to me last night that today was Friday the 13th. I'm a terrible, head-between-the-legs-hyperventilating-even-before-take-off flyer anyway (it is genuinely my most dreaded activity), but today I was absolutely petrified. Clammy handed, close-eyed, half-bottle of complimentary wine downed in record time hysterical. I actually apologised to the poor Spanish man sitting beside me after the flight.

I was reflecting on the whole concept of supersition with my Mum tonight because of this. She'd be similar to me regarding the whole thing, but also said the Friday the 13th thing does sometimes rear its head and make her a little on edge.

So, after all that digression, I suppose my question is, do you think a certain amount of it is subconscious absorption of media/other exterior influence? For me, personally, I think it definitely is!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I open umbrellas indoors a lot (letting them dry out or trying them in the shop) and walk under ladders if there's one in my path. I've also been on an aeroplane and a ferry on a Friday 13th and had eye surgery on Friday 13th. :)
    I prefer the superstitions that are about good luck, because I feel they put me in a positive frame of mind. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

A friend of mine used to joke about Friday the 13th and all of the rubbish that goes along with it.

Then he was killed in a car crash on Friday May 13th, 1988.

We don't talk about it as much as we used to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭poppyvalley

LittleBook wrote: »
    The dandelions one reminded me of something I learned in France:

The flower in France is named "dents de lion" which in English literally means "lion's teeth" and phonetically is very, very close to "dandelion".

In the vernacular it's also known as the "pissenlit" which translates to "piss-a-bed" which is an English folk-name for the plant.

Hence the superstition about peeing in bed ...? :)

In the "old days" before modern diuretics ( stuff to make you piss).dandelion root was used extensively for this purpose. Hence the "piss the bed":)

This could make you superstitious! A 13 year old boy was struck by lightning today at 13:13! He only had minor injuries. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

The only superstitious things i would do, out of habit really, is not walking under ladders (unless theres no other way to walk for some reason) or breaking mirrors (why would anyone do that anyway?!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Not really superstitious, but I heard recently that apparently it's way cheaper to get married on a Friday the 13th, because nobody wants to chance the bad luck so hotels give really reduced rates!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

i am somewhere in the middle I guess, I don't mind stepping on cracks or opening an umbrella in the house but there is something about walking under ladders and breaking mirrors that I don't like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Pocketfizz wrote: »
    i am somewhere in the middle I guess, I don't mind stepping on cracks or opening an umbrella in the house but there is something about walking under ladders and breaking mirrors that I don't like.

I don't like when I break a mirror either, because then I have to buy a new one. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

Fishie wrote: »
    The one that really took the biscuit was a few years ago when I was crossing the Liffey to go to work and a seagull pooed on my head. It mostly got in my hair and down the left side of my face, and a bit on my coat and scarf. I was absolutely mortified, I had to wipe as much off with my scarf as possible (I haven't felt the same about the scarf ever since, even though it's been washed) I arrived in work smeared in bird shít and one of the other staff had to help me wash my hair in the staffroom sink. The most common response to this story, after laughter, is "That's meant to be very good luck". GOOD LUCK? :confused: Being pooed on by a manky Dublin seagull doesn't strike me as being particularly lucky, how do they work that one out? The only answer I can come up with is that it's an attempt at consoling the soiled victim

Same thing happened to me going to work a few weeks ago and EVERYONE said that to me - "oh thats meant to be good luck" - hmmm having bird crap in my hair sure doesnt feel like good luck!

But Id had an interview for a job i wanted the day before, and in the end i got it, so who knows :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭elleburp

No there isn't. I've checked :(

- A forked branch, held with a fork in each hand, will dip and point when it passes over water
    I think there's truth in this one though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

I know I'm a little late adding to this thread but said I'd do so anyway...

I'm probably a little superstitious - most of the time I actually forget it's Friday 13th, and then someone unkindly reminds me and then I can't get it out of my head, so if even the slightest thing goes wrong, then I blame it on it being Friday 13th, even though I know it's not the reason!

That said, I'm not a big fan of receiving no. 13 in a competition - luckily it's only happened once or twice before, but when it did everything that could go wrong went wrong - and seriously, I'm not exaggerating. Every single thing those days went wrong, from getting a puncture on the way to the competition, to it lashing rain, to the commentator getting me mixed up with someone else and saying I was doing deplorably badly when I hadn't even started that specific phase, to getting yelled at for no reason.... Not a very happy day! :(

I do believe in the one about dogs howling when a death is near or someone has died. Every time a member of my mum's family has died (going back at least 2 generations) the dogs have howled - literally each time, no exaggeration. They did this again recently when a family member died and freaked out all of the family who came to stay with us.

I've also heard that rats coming into a house is a sign that death is close - and I have to say I've experienced this one, too. :(

I don't like when a single magpie crosses my path - it's probably co-incidence, but when I was really young a magpie crossed my path when I was out exercising my pony, and 2 minutes later I was on the ground and the pony was on his way back to the yard without me!

Oh, finding a horse shoe is good luck - On 2 occasions I found a horse shoe while walking the course, and each time the horse won! :)

And I always thought a black cat crossing your path was good luck? Or maybe it's just been good luck for me?! :p

Re. the umbrella in the house - I think my mum used to use that one when we were really small kids because we used constantly put the umbrellas up and run around the house... Complaining didn't work, but the 'bad luck' story did (well, for a while, I leave my umbrella up in the house to dry when it's wet!)

Seeing as I've actually heard a lot of the list posted above, I think I better stop now, otherwise I'd be here for ages....

elleburp wrote: »
    No there isn't. I've checked :(

Reminds me of when Russell Howard and his little brother went looking for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow ... "WE took a knife in case the leprechaun 'acted up'.":pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭skywards

I don't understand the Friday the 13th one. In fact, I've actually always had good luck o.O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

skywards wrote: »
    I don't understand the Friday the 13th one. In fact, I've actually always had good luck o.O
    My mother had bad luck on Friday, November 13th 1981. I was born!

I'm not superstitious at all. There is little room in this head for irrationality.

• Advertisement

skywards wrote: »

That'll be the Triskaidekaphobia I mentioned earlier. :)

Of course it's not really bad luck but, like most superstitions, enough coincidences occurred relating to the number 13 to lead people to associate it with bad luck.

So much so that a group of New Yorkers got together in the 1880s to start The Thirteen Club in order to debunk the myth.

Thirteen people met for dinner at 8.13pm on Friday 13th in Room 13 of a club and .... dun, dun, DUN .... they all survived :D

That'll be the Triskaidekaphobia I mentioned earlier. :)

Of course it's not really bad luck but, like most superstitions, enough coincidences occurred relating to the number 13 to lead people to associate it with bad luck.

So much so that a group of New Yorkers got together in the 1880s to start The Thirteen Club in order to debunk the myth.

Thirteen people met for dinner at 8.13pm on Friday 13th in Room 13 of a club and .... dun, dun, DUN .... they all survived :D

Would have thought it would be lunch at 13:13 :p

bluewolf wrote: »
    Would have thought it would be lunch at 13:13 :p

Lunch is for wimps ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Reminds me of when Russell Howard and his little brother went looking for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow ... "WE took a knife in case the leprechaun 'acted up'.":pac:
    Sigh, I LOVE him. :o

Yes I'm very very superstitious. Malari what radio station were you listening to? I had a text read out about superstitions wooo. I'm famous. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Whispered wrote: »
    Sigh, I LOVE him. :o

Yes I'm very very superstitious. Malari what radio station were you listening to?

It was Newstalk. Tom Dunne and Sean Moncrieff are my constant companions in work. :)
    Whispered wrote: »
    I had a text read out about superstitions wooo. I'm famous. :p

Did you cross your fingers whilst sending it? ;)

• Advertisement

convert wrote: »
    I And I always thought a black cat crossing your path was good luck? Or maybe it's just been good luck for me?! :p
    It's supposed to be good luck here. Bad luck in the USA however. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I'm not superstitious in any way, shape or form. I just don't understand how a human being can believe that one little incidental thing in their life (such as seeing a magpie) can have a big negative impact. Yet they don't think the same thing about seeing a robin or not seeing a magpie or something like that. I honestly can't get my head around it in this day and age. We don't worship the sun anymore or do rain dances - we've moved on!

And I have to say I was surprised to read Xiney's comment about there being no gender difference in superstition because in my experience, superstition and belief in the supernatural etc is far more prevalent in the fairer sex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

I'm not superstitious at all. I don't believe in luck, good or bad. Random events are just random events and have no meaning beyond that.

I don't believe in any of the usually female preserves of astrology, numerology, the paranormal, tarot cards, psychics et al.

I tend to lose respect for people when I find out they frequent fortune-tellers or whatever, which probably isn't fair, but there you go.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

not really although i avoid walking under ladders in case of knocking the person off as i am clumsy:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I just got reminded of this today. On Valentine's Day this year, my boyfriend found a pebble shaped like a heart and gave it to me. I carried it around in the pocket of my coat, and became increasingly superstitious that if I lost it, we'd break up. I used check it was there regularly. One day, it wasn't. I couldn't find it anywhere. A couple of weeks later he broke up with me. Coincidence, I know, but odd still.

I only remembered because I found the stone under a mat in my car today.

Faith wrote: »
    I just got reminded of this today. On Valentine's Day this year, my boyfriend found a pebble shaped like a heart and gave it to me. I carried it around in the pocket of my coat, and became increasingly superstitious that if I lost it, we'd break up. I used check it was there regularly. One day, it wasn't. I couldn't find it anywhere. A couple of weeks later he broke up with me. Coincidence, I know, but odd still.

I only remembered because I found the stone under a mat in my car today.

Heh
    I didn't have any beliefs on this, but an ex gave me a stone ring once, in one of my favourite stones
    anyway, I dropped it loads of times, nothing happened, til the day we broke up it fell and this time it broke in half
    Funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Heh
    I didn't have any beliefs on this, but an ex gave me a stone ring once, in one of my favourite stones
    anyway, I dropped it loads of times, nothing happened, til the day we broke up it fell and this time it broke in half
    Funny

It'd be spookier if coincidences like this never happened. Its only as significant as you let it be.:)

Giselle wrote: »
    It'd be spookier if coincidences like this never happened. Its only as significant as you let it be.:)

Ah yeah I didn't put anything by it, my mum was the one making a deal :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Some from my mother(aged 88).
    Death:If someone dies, you stop the clocks at the time of death, cover mirrors and open a window in the room of the deceased.
    Coffins leave house feet first.
    If they kept bees, you must tell the bees or else they will swarm and leave.
    Blessed the corpse the rain falls on and the bride the sun shines on.

Nature: Never bring Mayblossom into the house.
    Sap of a dandelion cures warts or if you rub some meat on a wart and bury it, the wart will die away as the meat rots.
    Plant parsley on the day after a full moon, you must pour boiling water into the place of planting first.
    Spuds should be planted on St. Patrick's day.
    On St. Brigid's day eve ,put a clean cloth out the window, St Brigid will pass and bless this and it is used on sick animals during the year to cure them.
    A St. Brigid's cross hung in the eaves of a house will protect it from fire for a year.
    On St. John's Eve (23rd June) you should bless the bounds (ie the limit of your property) with Easter water, this will ensure good crops.
    The Pooka, was liable to be met with late at night on Hallowe'en. This dreaded monster was said to be a cross between a bullock, a mule and a big black pig,it was said that he peed on fruit so children were told not to pluck and eat fruit from this time forward.

If you spill salt you must throw a pinch over your left shoulder.
    Fish for Friday!!

A Christmas candle was lit in the window on Christmas eve and some rushes placed by the door as a resting place for the Holy Family.
    Robin has a red breast because he fanned the flames of the fire in the stable at Chrsitmas to keep the Holy family warm, hence they are sacred birds.
    A donkey carried Mary and as a special marker ,the donkey has a cross on its back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Heh
    Funny

Funnily enough, I had a claddagh ring that my now ex bf gave me. The day after we broke up it slipped off my finger (think I was drying my hands in a public restroom) and I lost it.

Same with a necklace. The week after we broke up I lost the necklace.

I am not generally superstitious, but I do belive in fate, etc...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement