Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are You Superstitious?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Like the song "My grandfather's clock!"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Robin has a red breast because he fanned the flames of the fire in the stable at Chrsitmas to keep the Holy family warm, hence they are sacred birds.
    Funny how the stories vary. The one I heard was it has a red breast because it tried to pull the crown of thorns from Jesus' head(or sang in his ear to comfort him) and blood fell on its chest.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

convert wrote: »
    And I always thought a black cat crossing your path was good luck? Or maybe it's just been good luck for me?! :p

Yeah, on this side of the pond it's bad luck . . . although I have a black cat who's under my feet almost every minute, so . . . nuts to that!

I wouldn't be very superstitious, although I used to be when I was younger. Although I used to read a lot about that kind of stuff when I was younger, so I think I paid a bit more attention to superstitions in general.

Dunno about the role of gender in superstitions, but I think my husband is more superstitious than I am -- every time one of our nose itches, he makes us hit each other's hands, first one on top of the other and then vice versa. Something about not getting in a fight? *shrug*

Oh, and let's not forget the lack of 13th floors in many buildings. (Although, if you think about it, the 13th floor is always the 13th floor, it's just called the 14th floor or something else!)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Wibbs wrote: »
    Funny how the stories vary. The one I heard was it has a red breast because it tried to pull the crown of thorns from Jesus' head(or sang in his ear to comfort him) and blood fell on its chest.
    Had that one too!Or this one :Cobwebs gave us tinsel for the Christmas tree, because when the holy Family were escaping into Egypt,they hid in the cave, spiders spun a web over the entance and robins fanned with their wings to make the cobweb look old and dusty. As a reward,the robin who was a plain bird got a red breast and it is bad luck to harm a spider.We put tinsel on the tree to remind us ofthe cobwebs!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

To be honest, I am kinda superstitious because things have happened - magpies, because I always find that seeing one something goes wrong, seeing two something goes right, don't know if it is luck or superstition, but I've kinda gone out od that one. Another one is that if I have particularly bad luck at one time, I'll have good luck another time - for example I bought a pair of football socks that I thought were big enough but were a complete size too small, wore them on the day of a soccer final and we won, first time we won in five attempts.

I used be superstitious about playing, having certain socks and under armour on, but I'm not anymore. I definitely was more superstitious when I was younger, but not so much any more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

I try not to be....but I really have a thing for the 1 for sorrow 2 for joy Magpie thing!! Always salute and say 'morning Mr Magpie how's your wife' and then touch green if I see a single magpie!!

Also...I broke a mirror last week and then had the worst week in work and started to lose in the competition I am in :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

The magpie superstition, one for sorrow, two for joy etc is actually true. It comes from the fact that magpies remain monogamous during their lives, and if their mate dies, they find a new one. So one magpie is considered lonely, two considered to be happy, and the rest of the rhyme was made up from there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

I do to an extent I suppose,I have amazing luck and believe its all down to my lucky 13 connection:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement