Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Political Tatoos- Northern Ireland

Options
  • 13-08-2010 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi guys, Im doing some study on imagery in Northern Ireland and was looking at body modification. Ive got zero expierence as far as tatooing is concerned and was wondering if you guys had any examples which were available online or even if you had some yourselves. All contributions appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Can't help you other than to say you should maybe remove the word sectarian and replace it with political. Might have more luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Cwmannman

Yeah fair enough. Will do. I suppose the word can be unclear as its open to opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Roberto91

I think Tatoos were probably originally the preserve of the Loyalists /unionists .I think this may have originally spilled over from the habit soldiers have of getting tatoos when they enlist.Many young working class loyalists wore tattoos to display their allegiange to king billy or the uvf/uda ,queen etc.Also its a big part of macho culture (just check out any of the high profile loyalists of recent years like Johnny Adair and billy Wright),Tatoos are de rigeur for most loyalist paramilitaries often depecting images of gun toting union jack clad bulldogs or references to ww1 and the battle of the somme where many original uvf members fought and died.Tatoos and bodybuilding tend to be more obvious on the protestant side but increasingly in recent years working class catholics/republicans have started to get tatooed(these usually involve romantic celtic designs depicting an idealised view of a united ireland bearing shamrocks harps and ofter references to dead Republican martyrs like the hunger strikers or earlier heroes like pearse or wolfe tone.Some more militant tattoos depict balaclavad paramilitary carrying kalashnikov with the gaelic phrase "Tiocfaidh ár lá" which means "our day will come".
    . .Traditionally Republicans would tend to be less inclined to be involved in Tatoos ,piercing ,bodybuildig and body jewellery than their loyalist counterparts,favouring a more' left-wing -acedemic' look but of course there are exceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I'm almost sure that the government or some authority up there was offering free tattoo removal if the tat was 'political'. If I'm not talking out of my arse, it'd be worth asking them.

* I can't find anything about it, so maybe I imagined it or am mental. Maybe ignore! :o

its possible that the govt had some scheme like that alright.They were flinging money at any hair brained scheme that might erase overt signs if sectarianism like murals and all that so I wouldnt be at all surprised if Tattoos were included too.

• Advertisement

thats class-I doubt there was ever a Celtic jersey big enough to fit Ali tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Rojomcdojo wrote: »

That a crying shame putting that jersey on that man

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

That a crying shame putting any jersey on that man

Fixed your post.

Advertisement