Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A room....but only for two months?

Options
  • 13-08-2010 4:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Afternoon,

I need to live in Galway for Spetember and October and no more. Thus I am trying to do the impossible, rent a nice room for just that period.
    Any tips? Has it been done before? Don't imagine anyone will want to rent a room for just two months but here's the place to ask.
    Go raibh maith agaibh!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Most of the major apartment blocks have two or three empty gafs around then for various reasons. I'd get in touch with Dun Aengus, Cuirt naCoirbe, Merchant's Quay, Dun Aras, etc. Im sure you'll have little trouble. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Afternoon,

I need to live in Galway for Spetember and October and no more. Thus I am trying to do the impossible, rent a nice room for just that period.
    Any tips? Has it been done before? Don't imagine anyone will want to rent a room for just two months but here's the place to ask.
    Go raibh maith agaibh!

try a youth hostel. they sometimes have long term residents.

in most places you do not have to sign a lease so pay for a month, say its not working out , gives a months notice and off you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭King Mallie

Maybe place a advert in any of galway papers and I bet you will get loads of replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 paulmc808

Afternoon,

Go raibh maith agaibh!

PM'ed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Pk10

I was looking for something similar for 5 months earlier this year and it was difficult. For 2 months maybe a homeowner would be interested in the extra cash especially in the current climate. This might be your best option and I would try advertising in newsagents around where you want to be.

If you are able to visit Galway, I suggest that you go around and talk to newsagents, locals and everyone you meet, you will be amazed how much help they can give, lots of stuff here happens by word of mouth but you can only hook into that network if you are here...I was astonished at how much accommodation never gets advertised and how much better quality it was than lots which is advertised, it's a good way to make friends too :).

Otherwise I found that a number of the bed and breakfasts will do half rates for long stays, not ideal unless you can get use of kitchen facilities too but could get you out of a jam at say 140e per week. I know someone who might be interested so pm me if you want me to follow this up.

Another option is holiday accommodation, I found that they are also willing to negotiate on rates for long stays and I was close to taking one of these. In Sept and Oct you should be able to get even better rates on something like a 1 bed flat but you would be living alone and maybe paying more than you intended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Pk10 wrote: »
    I was looking for something similar for 5 months earlier this year and it was difficult. For 2 months maybe a homeowner would be interested in the extra cash especially in the current climate. This might be your best option and I would try advertising in newsagents around where you want to be.

If you are able to visit Galway, I suggest that you go around and talk to newsagents, locals and everyone you meet, you will be amazed how much help they can give, lots of stuff here happens by word of mouth but you can only hook into that network if you are here...I was astonished at how much accommodation never gets advertised and how much better quality it was than lots which is advertised, it's a good way to make friends too :).

Otherwise I found that a number of the bed and breakfasts will do half rates for long stays, not ideal unless you can get use of kitchen facilities too but could get you out of a jam at say 140e per week. I know someone who might be interested so pm me if you want me to follow this up.

Another option is holiday accommodation, I found that they are also willing to negotiate on rates for long stays and I was close to taking one of these. In Sept and Oct you should be able to get even better rates on something like a 1 bed flat but you would be living alone and maybe paying more than you intended.
    If you use daft and install the Property bee toolbar (Firefox only) you can view the history of the property on Daft. You can see how long the property has been on the market, has the price dropped etc. these are all things that may show a landlords willingness to accept a bit of rent as opposed to none.

http://www.property-bee.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Fuctifino

I think i've found what you want

http://www.daft.ie/searchsharing.daft?id=588993

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭millivanilli

did you get sorted with a room? i am looking to sub let my room for september and some of october, i'm working in dublin until the 17th october. send me a message if you're interested and i can give ya the details!

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

Sent you a PM

Advertisement