Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lighting equipment for hire last minute

• 13-08-2010 5:27pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hi there all, just wondered if anyone knows anywhere that does last minute renting/hiring for lighting equipment?

I have been asked to do a job for a make up shop, just some basic beauty shots and they apparently have a white room/wall down the back and i have a flash gun and tripod. But is this enough for what their looking for?

Any advice/help/info much appriciated! Shoot is on Monday so...yeah very last minute am afraid.

Not entirly sure how to attach pictures on here but attempting to here.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

The first one seems to be a softbox giving 3/4 light from camera left, the background doesn't seem lit, you could try diffusing the flash through a very light white sheet for this effect.

Second seems to be an umbrella front and centre for key, some sort of side light, probably a softbox, and a lit background.

You could mimic this front light again with a sheet above the camera and your flash behind it. Lighting the background probably won't be an option for you, so you may end up with a halo around the model.

If their room is lit be flourescent it'll appear green anyway, and if it's lit with tungsten (regular bulbs) it'll appear orange, so keep the focus on the model if you don't have gels to change the flash colour.

try the 'headshot in a corner' technique outlined here:
    http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/04/lighting-101-headshot-in-corner.html

make sure you diffuse your light somehow though, bare flash will look terribly harsh, especially for beauty shots

Apart from that good luck!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭veryrandom

Cool, thats really helpful thanks! Iv done shots like this before but its been in a studio setting so am not 100% sure how to tackle it in a non studio setting but i suppose these are things we all gotta learn.

When you say defuse the flash with a white sheet do you literally mean put the flash behind a bit of white sheet or attach a bit of white sheet to the flash?

Would bouncing the flash off the ceiling help at all?

Thanks again for your help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

The second is a beauty dish. With a hint (though insignificant) of light coming from the camera left and behind the subject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

veryrandom wrote: »
    Cool, thats really helpful thanks! Iv done shots like this before but its been in a studio setting so am not 100% sure how to tackle it in a non studio setting but i suppose these are things we all gotta learn.

When you say defuse the flash with a white sheet do you literally mean put the flash behind a bit of white sheet or attach a bit of white sheet to the flash?

Would bouncing the flash off the ceiling help at all?

Thanks again for your help :)

Bouncing off the ceiling in front may help, but will likely end up casting shadows under the eyes, nose and chin.

You can either hold the sheet a couple of feet in front of the flash and shoot through it, or put the flash between the model and the sheet (if the sheet isn't light enough to shoot through) and point the flash backward toward the sheet to reflect it.

There are places in Dublin who will rent to you the stuff you need. You've got to decided if you can afford it in your budget for the shoot. You could bill the makeup shop for the extra cost. A white sheet and flash gun behind it is probably not gonna cut it. At the very least if you have a shoot through umbrella for the shots it'll solve most of your problems.

• Advertisement

Elaborate on what you mean by shooting through an umbrella? With or minus strobe?

And do you know any of the names in these places that rent? From what i gather i would need an umbrella strobe and a stand minimum and would be able to roughly work with that.

Thanks for the help :)

veryrandom wrote: »
    Elaborate on what you mean by shooting through an umbrella? With or minus strobe?

And do you know any of the names in these places that rent? From what i gather i would need an umbrella strobe and a stand minimum and would be able to roughly work with that.

Thanks for the help :)

Check out the Zarias site for more info..... Really usefull.
    http://www.zarias.com/shoot-through-umbrella-vs-softbox/

For rental you can go to mhire.ie in Dublin. I use them regularly. :) They should have everything you need.

Cheers, thank a mill! You've all been really helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭32finn

OP, where you based? If your anywhere near kildare i mite have something here that you can use!

Pardons, just got that message now, am actually in Dublin. Just out of interest what have you in mind?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭32finn

mobile studio setup, with shoot through brollies

Ah cool, that woulda been handy, but am based in Dublin so i don't think it would be feesable unless ur very near Dublin. Thank you anyway!

Advertisement