Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Myths that you believed but on reflection laugh at . .

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I used to think that boards was ONE of the best websites on the internet.

Turns out it IS the best website on the internet.

Of course, in a years time I'll probably dig up this thread and make a reply about how I used to think boards.ie was the greatest website on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

magic hills ( I actually thought it was some sort of magnetism in the mountain :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

also I used believe the whole 'yourman from wonder years is actually marylin manson)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 114 ✭✭UglyFuc

when i was really young i remember hearing the tips of the pins on a plug can give you a shock if you touch them a little while after unpluging the plug from the socket.

still dont know if its true and not a hope of me testing the theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭rebelmomma

fontanalis wrote: »
    Some of the "my friends friend said" stuff is embarassing, like Marilyn Manson was Paul on The Wonder Years.

I remember that one!! oh the innocence

• Advertisement

I used to think that boards was ONE of the best websites on the internet.

Turns out it IS the best website on the internet.

Of course, in a years time I'll probably dig up this thread and make a reply about how I used to think boards.ie was the greatest website on the internet.

This is my second day on Boards - where the **** has it been all my internet life! The embarrasment and shame I feel for not discovering it earlier!:(:confused:

My now husband was told by his older sister that if he ate cooking chocolate it would give him worms. He was 23 when he started to go out with me and got all panicked when i ate some cooking chocolate.

I then dispelled the myth and the next time we were with his sis I had her confirm that she made it up to stop him always eating all the cooking chocolate. the funny thing was she told him that when he was 18 like!! Then again she is an evil cow!

Anyone else call dock leaves 'dalkins'? I only heard of a dock leaf when I came to college..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Anyone else call dock leaves 'dalkins'? I only heard of a dock leaf when I came to college..

Pronounced it as dockens.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

i remember hearing a rumour that Sarah McLachlan was deaf and I always thought it was amazing how well she could sing and play the piano! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Fringe wrote: »
    Lilt kills sperm. I was about 10 and I gave it up because of that.

That is just the random thing I needed to read this evening.. Lilt... did anyone tell Enda Kenny?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Then there was the one about whatever singer it was who got his ribs removed to suck his own lad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

was told that lightning was god turning on and off the light swith and thunder was god playing drums :D

my mom told me and my little sister that you had to ring the exchange before you plugged out the phone from the wall (we were always doing that to bring the phone to the garden to play)

One day my sister rang the exchange and was having a full scale conversation with a lovely man telling him that we wanted to plug out the phone and we rang him because our mammy said you had to ring.

my dad still gets on to her about it to this day.

Then there was the one about whatever singer it was who got his ribs removed to suck his own lad.

did his name go a little something like this & ?? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭dilapidating

That was Marilyn too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

thought it was prince or whatever hes called now?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭babyfratelli_x

My parents told me when i was younger that my tongue would turn black if i told a lie.

Great trick... U suspect kid is lying "stick out your tongue". if they refuse, theyre lying, if like me "Im not lying look!" while sticking my tounge out, theyre probably tellin the truth. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

That was Marilyn too.

I heard this relating to Prince also!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

There was this mad man near where I lived called Black Dick (he was a Protestant named Dick I guess)

my Granny used to tell us to behave, or else Black Dick would get us.

Oh the innocence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

That the earth was round.
    Duggy747 wrote: »

That all belly-buttons are supposed to be outties, my sister was a bitch and convinced me to scratch and poke at my belly-button until it really bloody hurt! :D

They are all supposed to be innies, outties are freaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

My parents told me when i was younger that my tongue would turn black if i told a lie.

Great trick... U suspect kid is lying "stick out your tongue". if they refuse, theyre lying, if like me "Im not lying look!" while sticking my tounge out, theyre probably tellin the truth. :p

We had this as well :D Except it was only a black 'spot'.

"Open your mouth! Ohhhhhh BIG BLACK SPOT!"

I remember going to look in the mirror to see if there actually was one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭jgr12

was told when a kid that if i picked my nose my head would cave in, found that a bit horrifying at the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

god.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I heard this relating to Prince also!

Yeh . . Didnt he get some ribs removed so he could play the flute on his own ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭YouTalkinToMe

Was told before i got my first church bread (communion) that i would become really strong so when i finally got it i went round trying to lift cars up:DThen i was told it was only a certain type of car it would work on:(Never did manage it;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Parents told me if I ever used chewing gum it would stick in my throat and I choke slowly to death :eek:

To this day, I have never purchased a pack of chewing gum.
    I get offered it in work or whereever and always refuse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

i use this on my daughter! it always works, its brilliant :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

UglyFuc wrote: »
    when i was really young i remember hearing the tips of the pins on a plug can give you a shock if you touch them a little while after unpluging the plug from the socket.

still dont know if its true and not a hope of me testing the theory.

I've gotten shocked like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Parents told me if I ever used chewing gum it would stick in my throat and I choke slowly to death :eek:

To this day, I have never purchased a pack of chewing gum.
    I get offered it in work or whereever and always refuse
    A pity - chewing gum can be quite calming if you're feeling stressed.

Advertisement