Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Myths that you believed but on reflection laugh at . .

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Hahaha yeh i was told that too that a guy in holland had sex with a monkey and so AIDS came about :pac::pac::pac:

Holland? What're you talking about? It was Bray . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Dudess wrote: »
    A pity - chewing gum can be quite calming if you're feeling stressed.

I bit my nails instead, bite until they bleed. ewwww :p
    It's a disgusting habit.

Tried to give up, must try harder!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I bit my nails instead, bite until they bleed. ewwww :p
    It's a disgusting habit.

Tried to give up, must try harder!

Yeh so do I, I wish I got embarrassed by it cause sometimes my fingers are killing me . .

I know I will do what my mum should of done to me if my son starts biting his nails . . Tell him his wang will fall off if he does it . . That would quickly sort out any early male nailbiters .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

We used to stand on our heads on the sofa........my mother used to tell me that my head would 'go into my body':D.

If watch TV for too long you'll have square eyes
    Every mother in Ireland used that one

Justice Flood, Justice Fahy, watch the news and you'll hear about the judge.
    Primary school, what do you want to be when you grow up?

"I want to be a judge, punish the criminals".
    "Oh you can't unless you first name is Justice" and then listed off examples, "Your local judge is Justice Reilly, look at their first name"

Teacher crushed my goals :(
    I went home and asked my parents to change my name!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Tail Wagger

Did a kiss from your mother really make things better, I'm inclined to think it did!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 shtopthelights

When I was a child, my sister, who's 11 yrs older than me and had taken 'the pledge' to be a pioneer until she was 18 (used to be taken when being confirmed), told me the she was no longer a pioneer...when I asked why she told me it was because pioneers couldn't drink coffee. I accepted that and never considered it again. Years later when I was in my late teens, someone said 'he's a pioneer' about an old neighbour, without thinking it through I said '...wait, he can't be, doesn't he drink coffee?'.

Whole room explodes in laughter at me, got worse as I explained why I thought that, was mortified.

The same sister used to tell my brother that the wafer on a cone was poisonous and he'd promptly hand it over to her when he'd finished the ice-cream...

There is no stronger bond then a boy and his dog. :)

My dog got old and was going blind and deaf.
    One day he wasn't there so I was running around panicking.

Ran to the parents, demanding to know where my dog was.

"He is retired now and is gone to live on a farm, he'll have a great life in the countryside. This is what old dogs always do"

I was crushed, I thought my dog didn't love me anymore and left me. :(
    Realy, it would have been kinder to tell me he died.
    I spent weeks upset and wondering what I did that was cruel to the dog that he ran away to a new owner

The Sopranos used a similar story. Their dog was "sent to live on a farm" and Tony genuinely believed it. Crushed when told the truth, I felt his pain

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

My Dad told me and my sis when we were kids that earwigs really did crawl in your ear. We said it to him a few yrs back and thougt it was hilarious. I still put my hair over my ears when im tryin to go asleep...my sister too!!!Feck sake.....traumatised :o

• Registered Users Posts: 27 eschaton

my bro used to tell me that he was special and no posion could harm him, so he'd "save me" from my poisionous chips..

my girlfriend (who is japanese) was always told by her parents that if she didnt finish her rice a monster would come and take her eyes out when shes sleeping.. kinda terrifying!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

That chewing gum will stick inside you for seven years when in fact it passes through in less than a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

anniehoo wrote: »
    My Dad told me and my sis when we were kids that earwigs really did crawl in your ear. We said it to him a few yrs back and thougt it was hilarious. I still put my hair over my ears when im tryin to go asleep...my sister too!!!Feck sake.....traumatised :o

My mother used to say the same thing to me. I found one in my bed last year and couldn't sleep without having a tissue stuck in my ear.

My father told me that the reason people couldn't stay up on Christmas Eve is because somebody once got Santy drunk and stole all the presents when he was asleep and sent him off on an empty sleigh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I used to believe it was unlucky to walk under ladders until one day I took the long way around onto the street and almost got hit by a car.

I do hate white cats and they are considered to be unlucky by me, I saw one on the road the other night and I tried to run over it in annoyance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

My parents told me when i was younger that my tongue would turn black if i told a lie.

Great trick... U suspect kid is lying "stick out your tongue". if they refuse, theyre lying, if like me "Im not lying look!" while sticking my tounge out, theyre probably tellin the truth. :p

I was told that there was a hole in my tongue when I lied.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Reading these posts has dug up some long-buried trauma......

I was told by my parents that my penis would fall off if i didn't peel back the foreskin in the bath. I also had to demonstrate the act to them to make sure that I did it.

Damn you boards! I need to repress those memories again.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭cooltown

I was told that once you closed a door brhind you. The place vanised. Until you opened the door again!:):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

Probably mentioned already but don't make a funny face, it will be stuck like that if the wind changes direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Reading these posts has dug up some long-buried trauma......

I was told by my parents that my penis would fall off if i didn't peel back the foreskin in the bath. I also had to demonstrate the act to them to make sure that I did it.

Damn you boards! I need to repress those memories again.

You should have known,you were 35 at the time.

Anyway stop taking baths with your parents its disgusting!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

That if you stuck pins in a doll you could make your teachers fall down the stairs or get an incurable disease.

I wasted months at it. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

That Freddy Mercury was sick and went to the hospital. He had to get his stomach pumped and 5 litres of semen came out.

The sick side of me convinced me to believe that and until I find evidence to the contrary...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭preytec

i was told the ronald reagan had a button in his suit case that would blow up the world if he pressed it. i wanted that case so much

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Myths I was told and believed, god, santa, toothfairy all the usual, then there was that I should eat the crusts of my sandwiches so my hair would go nice and curly. That was the last thing I wanted as a lad. I still leave crusts to this day.
    Was also told my tongue turned black for a few seconds when I told a lie.
    I was also told that if I used too many swear words that eventually god would get angry and take away my voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

My friend once said that the actors in the "Wassssssuuuup!" Budweiser ads were only a front and that the the people who did the voices were none other than........................THE BAHA MEN!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭budgemook

preytec wrote: »
    i was told the ronald reagan had a button in his suit case that would blow up the world if he pressed it. i wanted that case so much

isn't that sort of true? the football or some sh!t?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

That Eskimos were extinct. Turns out that's a lie.......:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

That seeing a lone magpie was bad luck and to cancel out the look you'd have to say 'hello mr. magpie'. I was one gullible youngster. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

My mother told me that you shouldn't bite your nails as they were poisonous. Believed her because she was a nurse. I still bit them though, suicidal child :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Tail Wagger

There is no stronger bond then a boy and his dog. :)

My dog got old and was going blind and deaf.
    One day he wasn't there so I was running around panicking.

Ran to the parents, demanding to know where my dog was.

"He is retired now and is gone to live on a farm, he'll have a great life in the countryside. This is what old dogs always do"

I was crushed, I thought my dog didn't love me anymore and left me. :(
    Realy, it would have been kinder to tell me he died.
    I spent weeks upset and wondering what I did that was cruel to the dog that he ran away to a new owner

The Sopranos used a similar story. Their dog was "sent to live on a farm" and Tony genuinely believed it. Crushed when told the truth, I felt his pain

I'd say you love that song called"Old shep"...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭budgemook

Lyra Fangs wrote: »
    That seeing a lone magpie was bad luck and to cancel out the look you'd have to say 'hello mr. magpie'. I was one gullible youngster. :p

we saluted them but i had heard the hello mr. magpie thing. i still salute them to this day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

anniehoo wrote: »

This is partly based in truth, they were used as a torture when placed in the ear

Advertisement