Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frightened Rabbit - Dublin show, Dec 2010

Options
  • 13-08-2010 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

FRIGHTENED RABBIT: LIVE AT THE ACADEMY THIS DECEMBER

Finally making it to Ireland after a sell out UK tour and the release of their third album, Winter of Mixed Drinks, Frightened Rabbit have announced details of a headline show in the Academy, Dublin on Thursday 9th December. Tickets priced €18 inclusive of booking fee are on sale now.

‘Living In Colour’’s displays the DNA of a less frightened rabbit, acknowledging the darkness but emerging, blinking into the light. Driving and optimistic, it’s very upbeatness could be read as a subconscious riposte to the desolation of ‘The Midnight Organ Fight’ (and on a more literal level, ‘Sing The Greys’). It is backed with band member Andy Monaghan’s remix of the A side.

Scott: “Its a well worn and classic chord progression that, although I have heard it a ton of times before, I really wanted to pin a Frightened Rabbit song onto. Grant decided that he'd not really done much of the unabashed '4 to the floor' type stomping, so we just went with what felt good, keeping the song uncomplicated. The sentiment itself is simple, kind of like I Feel Better but without any of the self-doubt. It describes a new appreciation of the tiniest things in life, a rejuvenated sense of sight and sound, a general tingling of the nerve-endings, following a reasonably bleak time. I basically wanted to write a big rock song about finding joy in things again, something quite at odds with most of our back catalogue. In a sense, by treading this well-worn ground, we ended up with something new for us - which felt good.”

Metophorically, lead single ‘Swim Until You Can’t See Land’ might have taken up where the band left off (‘Floating In The Forth’), but ‘The Winter Of Mixed Drinks’ showcases a more fully realised sound with a broader pallette, with direct and upbeat songs like (new single, 22nd Feb) ‘Nothing Like You’ and ‘Living In Colour’ jostling for position with intense and brittle epics like ‘Skip The Youth’ and ‘Yes I Would’.

Speaking to nme.com at the end of last year, lead singer Scott Hutchison explained ‘We've broadened our horizons sonically and it feels like a natural move forward. Most importantly, it’s better than the last one.’ Produced once again by Peter Katis at Tarquin Studios in Connecticut, and engineered by Stuart Hamilton at Castlesound Studios in Scotland, ‘The Winter Of Mixed Drinks’ also boasts stunning string arrangements from labelmate, Teutonic ivory-botherer, Hauschka.

Tckets for Frightened Rabbit, live at The Academy are on sale now priced €18 inclusive of booking fee

For more see: www.frightenedrabbit.com / www.mcd.ie / www.ticketmaster.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭lea26

Got my tickets - Looking forward to this one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Only recently found these... I'd go and see them for these two songs alone:

emoticon-0178-rock.png

• Registered Users Posts: 49 stephen112

tickets are actually flying out for this one, glad they waited to come back over instead of doing the usual four gigs a year

• Registered Users Posts: 38 pokingiris

and no sign of them in cork. Gutted

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Midnight organ

Just wondering who's heading to this?
    Im a HUGE fan and really looking forward to the gig.
    However from live videos ive seen they dont seem
    to deliver as i had hoped,Particularaly vocalwise which is a bit of a let down,but i could be wrong?? :/
    Thoughts??:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Midnight organ

*rabbit this coming thursday,oops! haha

• Registered Users Posts: 33 kingofpain

Just wondering who's heading to this?
    Im a HUGE fan and really looking forward to the gig.
    However from live videos ive seen they dont seem
    to deliver as i had hoped,Particularaly vocalwise which is a bit of a let down,but i could be wrong?? :/
    Thoughts??:)

was there as well, can confirm vocal concerns

they do put on a fine generic indie show, great drumming and all, but the melodic material overall is weak and lacks variation

showed up only because of "swam until can't see land" excellent single btw

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

kingofpain wrote: »

showed up only because of "swam until can't see land" excellent single btw

That's one of their most generic songs.

Advertisement