Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connemara 100 - 2010

• 13-08-2010 5:58pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Kicks off tomorrow morning. So best of luck to our very own Mick Rice who is yet again taking part in this event. Not sure if any other boardsies are taking part this year?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭a123

Don't recognise any names off the entrant list, maybe a new category needs to be added to entry forms - boards nickname ! Have arrived out in cliften waiting for the fun to begin:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

a123 wrote: »
    Don't recognise any names off the entrant list, maybe a new category needs to be added to entry forms - boards nickname ! Have arrived out in cliften waiting for the fun to begin:)

How many are running this year? Are there many women?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

think runnincoach is in this.......gud luvk and have fun...

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭runningcoach

ultraman1 wrote: »
    think runnincoach is in this.......gud luvk and have fun...

Nah running coach wimped out I am afraid :D . But I know Pat O'Keefe is on the starting line. Best of Luck to Pat & Mick and everybody else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sarsfieldsrock

Nah running coach wimped out I am afraid :D . But I know Pat O'Keefe is on the starting line. Best of Luck to Pat & Mick and everybody else.

Tut, tut. You will have to do all the road distances greater than a marathon some other time then.

Best of luck to all running in this. May they all finish it in good health.

• Advertisement

There may be no phone reception out here in the Lough Inagh Valley but the Lough Inagh Lodge has wireless broadband.:D Will try and post soem updates as the day and night go on. Expecting Mick through Mile 28 in a couple of minutes

Mick passed by (literally, everyone else stops to say hello/eat/drink etc, he just keeps on running:eek:) at 15:53, looking very comfortable, if that is possible. Definitely going to make his target of getting his crew to the bar in Cliften before closing time at the rate he's going :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

What time did he/they start at?

Mick is sitting putting his legs up now in Cliften and his crew are getting an extended session in the pub. He finished in a superb time of 14 hours 27 minutes:eek:
    Well done Mick a fantastic achievement

6am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Mick is sitting putting his legs up now in Cliften and his crew are getting an extended session in the pub. He finished in a superb time of 14 hours 27 minutes:eek:

Well done Mick and all concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Fantastic Mick...well done....unreal achievement

Phenomenal Mick, well done!

That's an average of 8:40 miles :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Amazing achievement. Well done!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

wow, nearly an hour off the irish 100 mile record ;)
    http://ultrarunningireland.com/live/news/797.html

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

Great stuff Mick, well done. Any news on how everyone else faired?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

menoscemo wrote: »
    wow, nearly an hour off the irish 100 mile record ;)
    http://ultrarunningireland.com/live/news/797.html

Just as long as we don''t have to repeat last year's discussion about accepting the time for official purposes (or not, as it stands). I'm sure everyone is aware of URI's stance by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Thats incredible going . Awesome running altogether. Hot weather for it . How are the others getting on? Any women in this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Fantastic (historic :)) result Mick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

I am soooooo tired. Fantastic weekend in Connemara, thanks to everyone who made it happen. I'm open to correction on numbers below, my brain is kinda fried.

As already reported Mick won again. I hope he will be willing to post his splits. It has got to be one of the most consistent 100 miles ever run. You could set your watch by the time Mick passed checkpoints.

Majic took an hour and 15 off his time from last year to come second. His wife gets the prize for the biggest smile of the weekend. M also gets quote of the weekend. Passing the second checkpoint he was checking the timings. He saw he was second but several hours behind Mick and commented that although he may be 2nd, he is the first "human"... superhuman mick :-)

Ray was 3rd 22hours and odd minutes I think.

Pat finished in 28:17 (ultraman's feedback "fecker beat me by 11 minutes")

One woman. Congrats Josie. You're such a fantastically strong woman.

For anyone on facebook. Have a look at a123's photos from Lough Inagh Lodge. I don't think this posh hotel have ever had group of smelly runners camping in the lounge before :-)

Of course, the running is the easy bit. The real feedback you're all waiting on is the spectators. My stats for the weekend
    - 1 stiff neck from driving
    - 1 minor clutch foot injury
    - 1000 kms driven (200 of them at 10kph)
    - 12 cans of pepsi max, 500 g grapes, 1 litre soup,.....
    - 6 hours sleep in 60 hours.... ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzz

• Advertisement

Don't know how you managed to post all that HM, I'm still having difficulty keeping my eyes open, will try and put pictures on flickr or somewhere later so everyone can see them
    Must try and get off the couch now am so tired!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭doctorchick

Ray was 3rd 22hours and odd minutes I think.

Ray came in at 20h38 to take the third spot, and after his 'dodgy tummy' spell I think that was a truly excellent time too.

For me I think my stats were:-

Up at 3am saturday to drive to race, next sleep (2 hours on back seat of car) at 4am sunday, 200 miles driving during race time. Driving back to Athenry I could only get as far as Oughterard before I had to stop for a sleep.

From top of Hell of West down to near Maam (and back up again) twice - jogging.

One over-excited spectator 'subdued' !!!!!

433 photos taken, (238 good ones that need to be distilled down to a set of 100 or so)

4 cans of Red Bull, 1 box of chocolate cookies, 1 big tub of Pringles, 1 banana, 2 litres of water, 2 yummy cooked breakfasts.

But most of all, one of the best weekends I have spent in a very long time, the company: runners, crews, officials, family, supporters alike made this a truly special occasion. Thank you one and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭doctorchick

Photos from the weekends event now available at http://www.athenryac.com/image-galleries/connemara1002010

If anyone wants a his res version of any pics then just PM me

Iain

All results are up on runireland.com aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

fantastic photos. 4317 is going to win you prizes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

Wow, amazing performances all round!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Mick Rice

Howdy - have pasted a race report on my blog now. Beware it's long :-)

Thanks for the many kind words here.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭locteau

Mick's blog is there :

http://runningthroughfog.wordpress.com/2010/08/17/“we-are-stardust-we-are-golden”/

By the way I had to censure my own race report due the support I gave to the crews :

Sunday morning 2am to 3am extract :
    Crew " Hello seb, we are *** crew for the hourly report"
    Seb : "do think it is acceptabelt to call me at this time of the nigh on a sunday morning ?"
    Crew: "Ho sorry Seb, hm, hm..."
    Seb : "just messing guys, I know not very funny :D"

Crew 2 : " Hello seb, Crew 2 reporting"
    Seb : "wrong number this is God on the phone"
    Crew2 (
    Crew 2: "Ho sorry.... bip.... bip.."

finisher after 100miles :
    Seb "come on you are doing great, keep going, if you cross the line before 10am you will get reach the closing time for Breakfast in the hotel!"

Anyway to all the crew that I slagged by "accident for 30hours" well done and I hope you enjoyed the race. As a volunteer I can't run the 100miles but I can stand for 30hours :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Mick Rice wrote: »

Surreal. A brilliant insight. Thanks for sharing that with us Mick.

I remember back in April when you overtook me at mile 33 in the ultra. You looked so comfortable and got the pacing spot on then, unlike me as I overcooked the first 26 - just a little.
    Your pacing in the 100 miler was exceptional again, even in the last 10 miles. And you even managed a PB by 5 mins!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Mick Rice wrote: »

Brilliant stuff. Great report - thanks for sharing this. This is one I'll be bookmarking to re read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Put simply, wow! Well done Mick and helpers. Thanks for sharing this. Mindblowing splits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12 LimerickNomad

The legend keeps on growing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

A little late but well done Mick, great run, mind boggling splits and an excellent race report.

Advertisement