Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy moly paste online, this side of the Atlantic

Options
  • 13-08-2010 6:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

As per title, for treating the bore of my rifle prior to shooting.

Well aware of the pro's and cons ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭virminhunter

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Would this be what you're looking for.

picture.php?pictureid=7034&albumid=811&dl=1281726040&thumb=1

I got mine from Jim McBrides in Athlone. If he hasn't any left i could send you this tub. Its new and unused. I have no need for it. Too much trouble/time to apply.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Nice one Ez, how much you looking for it?

Not a penny.

PM a postal address and i'll stick it in the post over the weekend.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

ezridax wrote: »
    Not a penny.

PM a postal address and i'll stick it in the post over the weekend.

Ezri, I thought you had all the lube for a special occasion?
    Joking!

How much you pay for it out of curiosity ?

• Advertisement

Genuinely not a clue. Bought a year ago with the greatest of intentions of using it. Then i got it home and left it on a shelf. 10 months later decided i wanted to try it.

Forgot when i was buying it that it takes an a** load of patches to fully treat the bore, i lost interest and back on the shelf it went.

And that children is the story of the tub of Moly that could have been. :D

I just happen to have a load of patches here doing nothing :D

Bit concerned about keeping the stuff only where it's supposed to be put (in the bore and not the chamber) but I'll just have to figure that one out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

johngalway wrote: »
    ..........Bit concerned about keeping the stuff only where it's supposed to be put (in the bore and not the chamber) but I'll just have to figure that one out.

Bore guide ?

Would that not stop it getting in the chamber?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Genuinely not a clue. Bought a year ago with the greatest of intentions of using it. Then i got it home and left it on a shelf. 10 months later decided i wanted to try it.

Forgot when i was buying it that it takes an a** load of patches to fully treat the bore, i lost interest and back on the shelf it went.

Same boat as ya .. :P:P:P Ive brownells tub here ... Ill put it on my list of to so things !!

I might get some off him.
    I've a bore coated, if a certain poster ever buys the Barrel of my VSSF II I will be going rebarrel and I would like to go the moly route.

If I get more HPS that are screamers I would like some Lube used on them.

Still awaiting INTERSHOOT to Deliver!

Jaysus, I never had so little ammo, spent the last 2 evenings calling foxes, Thank god I managed to call any or I would have no ammo:rolleyes:

I have seen 3 foxes in teh past week, and all of them when the rifle was at home!:(

• Advertisement

Bore guide. :D;)

Failing that tubing of some kind between 7-10mm wide. Cut about 8"-10" long. Place in chamber tight up to breech. Tape to stock to hold it in position. Will not be "fool-proof", but will reduce spillage. Maybe no harm placing a cloth or rag around "tubing" to give extra steadying (think thats a word) and will also mop up any excess. Then its cotton bud time when all the treating of the bore is done.

I just happen to have a load of patches here doing nothing :D

Bit concerned about keeping the stuff only where it's supposed to be put (in the bore and not the chamber) but I'll just have to figure that one out.

On the rounds, you have been using moly so your barrel will have been coated al ready.

To get the exact amount of Moly on every head, now that would be challenging!

Bore guide ?

Would that not stop it getting in the chamber?

Thinking about it, it should. I'm just paranoid that it'll get everywhere!

On the rounds, you have been using moly so your barrel will have been coated al ready.

To get the exact amount of Moly on every head, now that would be challenging!

I've been reading, after which is when I do most of my damage...

Supposedly, the proper way to use moly coated rounds is..

Clean all crap out of your barrel properly.

Then coat your bore using moly on patches.

Then shoot moly coated rounds.

The idea is there's no underlying powder residue or copper, mostly powder as it's been doing the rounds that a horrible gun eating acid forms and kills your bore. How true that is, I know not.

Jaysus, I never had so little ammo, spent the last 2 evenings calling foxes, Thank god I managed to call any or I would have no ammo:rolleyes:

I'm using a shotgun.

This evening I cleaned with Hoppes Benchrest, dry patches, then meths to clean it out for sure. Then a mix of Kroil & Shooters Choice, patches and meths.

Now, it's soaking over night in Kroil. Clean again with Shooter Choice in the morning and I won't be shooting diddly out of it until the paste arrives!

It'll probably all go horribly wrong but I want to give it a try.

This evening I cleaned with Hoppes Benchrest, dry patches, then meths to clean it out for sure. Then a mix of Kroil & Shooters Choice, patches and meths.

Now, it's soaking over night in Kroil. Clean again with Shooter Choice in the morning and I won't be shooting diddly out of it until the paste arrives!

Methanol is yer only man to clean stuff, clean off met with IPA (isopropylalcahol)

Just make sure you don't get heavy segreasing agents on Varnish etc, as it may like the taste of it.

I can "get " IPA, and met and a few other cleaning agents.

But are you trying to remove Moly? or put Moly in?

johngalway wrote:
    I'm just paranoid that it'll get everywhere

Immediately thought of this ....................................

:D:p

johngalway wrote:
    Then coat your bore using moly on patches.

Then shoot moly coated rounds

Careful, with all that moly the bullet will slide out of the barrel if you point it down. :D

Methanol is yer only man to clean stuff, clean off met with IPA (isopropylalcahol)

Just make sure you don't get heavy segreasing agents on Varnish etc, as it may like the taste of it.

I can "get " IPA, and met and a few other cleaning agents.

But are you trying to remove Moly? or put Moly in?

Both. I want to clean the bore down to metal as much as I can, without going overboard (I know, I know). Then I can start out with that clean barrel, moly coat, and only then all the crap that comes with firing a round.

Immediately thought of this ....................................

:D:p

Careful, with all that moly the bullet will slide out of the barrel if you point it down. :D

You may go to the head of the comedy class :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

[givingJohnAnExcuseToBuyShinyThings]
    All this cleaning it would nearly have been easier to buy a new barrel contoured to your requirements and then paste that :p
    [/givingJohnAnExcuseToBuyShinyThings]

When I win the Lotto Veg, when I win the Lotto :D

Clive was trying to talk me out of using moly altogether now that I've cleaned out the barrel. Oh decisions decisions.

When I win the Lotto Veg, when I win the Lotto :D

Clive was trying to talk me out of using moly altogether now that I've cleaned out the barrel. Oh decisions decisions.

Don't go to the Other side JG YOU MUST RESIST TEMPTATION

I found 20 rounds i had squirreled away for a rainy day. So I have 15 .308 20 .223 that makes 35 Bunnies between now and ammo resupply!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭SpringerF

I remember a time when nearly every shooter had a moly rag in his box.

This rag was nothing more than a cotton rag "seasoned" with moly paste.
    One simply rubbed each bullet with the rag prior to using, nothing more.

To "aquire" moly paste, one would usually go to ones nearest engineering shop AKA the local garage man, produce your jam jar and ask for some moly grease. Moly Grease = Molybdenum Disulfide or the grease used by the garage man for bearings, CV joints etc.

Also one would grease the barrel with the black stuff using patches etc.

Using too much Moly has some very interesting effects on gun barrels.

Graphite grease was/is used for many years too.

SpringerF wrote: »
    I remember a time when nearly every shooter had a moly rag in his box.

This rag was nothing more than a cotton rag "seasoned" with moly paste.
    One simply rubbed each bullet with the rag prior to using, nothing more.

To "aquire" moly paste, one would usually go to ones nearest engineering shop AKA the local garage man, produce your jam jar and ask for some moly grease. Moly Grease = Molybdenum Disulfide or the grease used by the garage man for bearings, CV joints etc.

Also one would grease the barrel with the black stuff using patches etc.

Using too much Moly has some very interesting effects on gun barrels.

Graphite grease was/is used for many years too.

The Bearing grease I used was BNS grease, not Moly.
    And we used 15L buckets of the stuff

Hey, John any sign of that yet.

Advertisement