Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sushi bar on Cook St

Options
  • 13-08-2010 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

Anyone been there yet? Picked up some Sushi in there today, it's a really nice place :D Well needed for Cork IMO.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Is that the place near Cork Art Supplies? with the tattoo place above it? If yes then you're right, its a great place. Had the platter in there for lunch one day. Was full for the rest of the day :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

Im not sure.. its across from Rob Roy bar? It's yum anyway :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It's Dashi sushi. It used to be on Marlboro Street but has moved to Cook Street now. It's lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

That the place run by the two Dutch wans? Lovely stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Expensive though. Used to pick stuff up now and again but really I felt the price did not reflect what you got. There are some nice rolls but I've had better cheaper elsewhere.

...I just checked their prices on something and I feel like they've put their prices up! Could have sworn inari was 1e and now it's 1.45e.

Obviously somebody's buying seeing as they're still around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Ian Mac

I'm more prone to buying it in the market , 9eur for the tray and its filling :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Never had sushi - am I missing out?

Also my mother is deathly allergic to mussels and sea-chowder (but not prawn etc.) so I've always been afraid to try them.

Is it possible to be allergic to sushi?!

tommy21 wrote: »
    Never had sushi - am I missing out?

Also my mother is deathly allergic to mussels and sea-chowder (but not prawn etc.) so I've always been afraid to try them.

Is it possible to be allergic to sushi?!

It's possible but like anything you won't know till you try , essentially raw fish is what you're eating as you know but whatever it is about it , it just tastes great! Possibility of salmonella through preperation but its very slim.

Try it out anyway let us know what ya think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Ian Mac wrote: »
    It's possible but like anything you won't know till you try , essentially raw fish is what you're eating as you know but whatever it is about it , it just tastes great! Possibility of salmonella through preperation but its very slim.

Try it out anyway let us know what ya think.

Will do (unless I die from anaphylactic shock, keep eye on papers)

Ian Mac wrote: »
    I'm more prone to buying it in the market , 9eur for the tray and its filling :)

Which place in the market sells it again?

• Advertisement

Faith wrote: »
    Which place in the market sells it again?

Kay O'Connells , the biggest fish stall.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭FunkyMissMonkey

Not all sushi is raw fish either. Dashi do a wide variety of "cooked" and fish-free options, if you didn't want to dive right into the raw stuff! :D

Have been to them a few times in their old location to grab a takeaway, and went just last week to check out the new shop. It's not a cheap meal, something I'd get as a treat for sure, but very tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭TemptationWaits

I've tried Dashi on Marlboro Street but haven't been there since they moved. Do they do delivery? Also I saw on the site that you have to order the day before or something, can you not just go in there and ask for something?

Any other good sushi/Japanese places in Cork that ye'd recommend? I'm keeping an eye out for them since I started learning the language in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

Love it, love it, love it!!!:D
    It killed me for a long time that sushi was so unavailable in Cork, and then all of a sudden the market started doing it and the place on cook st.! What amazes me is the fact that it has remained opened for this long along with the market not so far away. It just shows the demand for the fishy goodness in Cork.
    Now it is expensive, but sushi is. The thing is i will gladly pay a bit more for stuff which is nice and fresh and not drying up like they do on those sushi trains abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

I made myself makizushi this evening. It was so good, but just made me want sushi even more! I haven't tried the new place yet - it's got strange opening hours and is always shut when I walk past. I really like the idea of somewhere you can sit in and eat, rather than take away.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ician

Kinda off topic, but does anybody know where you can buy sushi rice in Cork? Tesco has everything you need but the sushi rice :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

ician wrote: »
    Kinda off topic, but does anybody know where you can buy sushi rice in Cork? Tesco has everything you need but the sushi rice :(
    English market. There are 2 stalls that sell bags of it. They also do wasabi, seaweed wrap thingy and the rice vinegar you will need for the rice. It's cheap too.

Tesco do sell it usually, I've gotten it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

I'm sure Wagamamas are now doing sushi, I think they have even have a special on over lunch where you can buy a variety pack of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I'm sure Wagamamas are now doing sushi.

sushi tuesday nights.

should be worth a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭ician

Tried this sushi place yesterday! The sushi was okay, not so fresh. I only got 8 pieces of vegetarian sushi, 4 of which are the tiny cucumber ones, 2 avacado, and 2 I can't remember and it was 7 euro. Really over-priced for average sushi :( Plus they charged 3 euro for me and my girlfriend to sit there and eat these 8 pieces of sushi, making it 10 euro total.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Declan O

Ordered a party platter on saturday, great service and great value!
    Guest were raving!
    Thanks guys!
    Will be back shortly:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Whats Sushi anyway. I am a Bogger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

Its like a small cake type of thing made of boiled rice and raw fish or veg.
    You have to be sophisticated to enjoy them. At €1 each.
    I am too uncouth to be eating them.

Advertisement