Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

College or stay working

• 13-08-2010 7:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks really stressed at the moment,im currently working full time at the moment in a dead end job, basically its starting to get me down,i know i shud be grateful in all but **** me spending 3 years labeling boxes wud fry anybodys head. Thing is im after been offered a full time college places in an area which would be benefical for me to progress within the company iwork for, the company wont sponsor me to do the course as it is full time hours,so it leaves me with no choice but to quit a full time permanentt job to do this course,my parents r going beserk that im going to jack in a job to a course , they keep telling me half the country is unemployed and would love to have a job im in,and now there putting doubts in my head saying suppose im not able for the course and decide to drop out what happens then.I need feedback folks am i mad to do this course and quit a job i may never get back ,coollege is only 3 weeks away and im confused!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I certainly wouldn't rule out going to college.

I'm friends with a fair few people who threw in their dead end jobs and went back to college, it's working out really well for them as a college degree is extremely handy, especially if you want to go abroad (Irish people have some of the highest concetrations of degrees in Europe so it's of some help here but of massive help if working abroad)

What's the course? Would it interest you? I was working at one point and nearly dropped out as the money seemed so much better but I'm really glad I stayed in. It opens a lot of doors for you at the end of the degree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Des Carter

Id say definately got to college if:

You can afford it,
    You are willing and able to finish the course,
    The course is worth getting and further your career
    and
    You can get your familly to support your decision as it will be torture if you dont have a secure support system in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

I was in a similar situation, dead end job with no real future. I decided on a sector that i would be interested in and done a part time degree. So I kept working and done college at night. First few months were tough but I got used to studying and college and was fine. Not sure what your looking to study in but maybe check if there are part time course available in it or else try distance education like the open university where you study online at home. Lots of options for people in full time work to further their education out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭freakmagnet

You have to bring it to its logical conclusion... if you don't quit the job, what will happen? Well, to quote you, you will still be in dead end job with no real prospects, except you'll have been there longer. You'll have money coming in - which is an advantage. Your parents will be off your back - advantage. But will you be wondering what if? There is only excuses for not doing what you want to do.. now, some are legitimate valid excuses... but they are just all excuese. I suppose the question is, do you want to work in that job forever? If the answer is no, then why not leave now and increase your chances of going to a different job.. That said, these are difficult times and jobs are scarce... but i guess you can see what i'm leaning towards the most!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Did u look into doing a similar course part time so you can keep the job for a bit?

Ignore what your parents say about work. Regardless what people say, there will always be jobs somewhere.

If you believe you will enjoy the course, and can support yourself as you do it, then take a leap of faith. Who know's what else you'll pass on in the future if you start by passing this up

It's your life, you know whats best for ye

Good luck :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭arsenallegend

I did both College and Night work at the same time and it doesn't work

you need to cut one off cause it does take a lot of you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

Would it not be possible for you to do part-time work in the evenings, if possible? A lot of students do that. Maybe a way of thinking about is this: 10 years from now, would you be happier with or without a qualification from college?

If the college didn't think you were able for the course then you wouldn't have been offered the place. I can see why this is a dilemma, and quite honestly it'll be a pain not having a source of income, but from my understading (having known people who quit permanent jobs so they could go back in to education) it's worth it in the long run. Good luck, OP!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Leaving any job, dead-end or otherwise, during the Great Recession is scary indeed. If America goes double dip recession in late 2010 or 2011, then you will see the 2nd Great Depression, and they will drag us with them when their economy fails.

I got lucky and have a free ride at university with a small stipend, but still work part-time to make ends meet and occasionally party. If you leave your job for university, I would recommend part-time work while pursuing your course.

Advertisement