Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refusal on Mortgage payment protection claim.

Options
  • 13-08-2010 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I was made redundant last July 2009 but was kept on straight away in the same workplace for operational reasons for 10 months.I put forward my claim when i eventually finished up in April 2010 but my claim was refused.Because this was not a full time position and even though i worked there for 12 years i was deemed to be on a temporary contract thus breaking the terms and conditions of the underwriter insurance firm for PTSB.

Having had the policy for 8 years i thought i was assessed totally unfairly.Practically,i didn't actually leave my position but was just fortunate to be kept on.I was told that if i didn't stay on in my job then i would have been OK.How can you win??

I probably don't have leg to stand on,i have appealed but this was rejected too.Am i wasting my time going further about this??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

Its very important with these types of insurance to read the terms & conditions. From what i have seen of these claims, they dont seem to cover the end of a contract so I can see why you are not covered.

TBH, they usually have strict terms re eligibility for claims & if you dont fulfill these terms, you are out of luck. I would read through your policy details carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Revolver76

bills wrote: »
    Its very important with these types of insurance to read the terms & conditions. From what i have seen of these claims, they dont seem to cover the end of a contract so I can see why you are not covered.

TBH, they usually have strict terms re eligibility for claims & if you dont fulfill these terms, you are out of luck. I would read through your policy details carefully.

Thanks for the reply!!

To be honest i probably assumed all would be Ok but low and behold it obviously wasn't.Luckily the cover i had wasn't a significant figure that would have made me sick but still i think they insurance companies have everyone by the ...... in that when you become unemployed your options are to stay unemployed and get your claim or else look for temporary work and lose out.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

If you were temporary/contract all the time AND KNEW THIS when you took out the policy, but pretended to lender that you were in permanent employment, then you tried to mislead them and cannot get a benefit under the policy.

If on the other hand, THEY ALSO KNEW your position was temporary/contract and SOLD you the policy, then they MAY have mis sold you the policy and you may have some recourse.

You need to get some advice on the matter, either from a financial advisor or a solicitor who knows something about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

I would request a refund for the premia you paid between the time you ended your contractual employment and the time you were laid off permanently.

I am surprised that the bank have not offered you this.

Put it in writing to them and ensure that you say that you will complain to the Financial Services Ombudsman if they turn you down.

Advertisement