Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mod Announcement on Superthreads (prefix)

• 13-08-2010 7:54pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As a result of our annual review thread we have agreed to implement a 3 month trial of the prefix idea that was put forward with regards the superthreads.We think 3 months is ample time for the system to bed down and for your guys to get used to it.

So what should you do now....

If you don't mind the current system you don't have to do anything you will just notice a new prefix beside the super threads.

If you want to block the super threads from appearing on the main page (they will still appear in your User CP) all you need to do is go to the new Filter Threads panel at the top of the forum and click 'no prefix'.And thats it,the super threads are gone for you.

We would encourage you all to try this for a few days even if you like the super threads as we will be looking for your feedback once the trial is over and we as a forum will decide if its something we want to stick with.

Dub13

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Is there going to be anything for match threads or will they count under superthreads?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

matrim wrote: »
    Is there going to be anything for match threads or will they count under superthreads?

We decided to start with just the superthreads but if this trial goes well I don't see any reason why we could not have one for the match day threads as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Dub13 wrote: »

If you want to block the super threads from appearing on the main page (they will still appear in your User CP) all you need to do is go to the new Filter Threads panel at the top of the forum and click 'no prefix'.And thats it,the super threads are gone for you.

Just to say for me at least I have to click on Show Threads as well to the right hand side. Seems to work fine.

If you never want to see superthreads you could bookmark the link to the page at that point as well to save you having to got through the motions of removing the superthreads each time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Looks great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Excuse my ignorance but what are superthreads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think it makes the forum look far better. Is it possible that certain club threads could be allowed through the prefix filter system?

For example, the United thread is one I like checking out so is it possible that certain club threads like this one could be made visible with the rest blocked? I'm not technically minded so I don't know if what I'm suggesting is actually possible?

For example, the United thread is one I like checking out so is it possible that certain club threads like this one could be made visible with the rest blocked? I'm not technically minded so I don't know if what I'm suggesting is actually possible?

Its a good idea but I don't think its possible,for that to happen we would need user specify prefixes as your team would be different form mine.I don't think this is possible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I honestly hate the new system more than i hate the super threads clogging up the board. I want quick access to super threads not to have to go to my user cp, as lazy as that sounds, it's true.

A sub forum for superthreads would have been a much better idea and easier to navigate. why are you lot so against it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Excuse my ignorance but what are superthreads?
    They are season long club threads.

Seaneh wrote: »
    I honestly hate the new system more than i hate the super threads clogging up the board. I want quick access to super threads not to have to go to my user cp, as lazy as that sounds, it's true.

A sub forum for superthreads would have been a much better idea and easier to navigate. why are you lot so against it?

You still have quick access to super threads if you do nothing.

I don't want this thread to turn into a why/why not have a sub forum,we are currently going with a trial of the prefix idea if the users don't like it then you will have plenty of opportunity to voice your concern once the review happens in 3 months.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,597 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Seaneh wrote: »

You have 3 options though with a simple click and select at the top of the forum,

1)see everything,
    2)filter out superthreads,
    3) filter out everything except superthreads.

Perfect for the lazy and quicker than a subforum?

Personally I'd prefer club specific filters that would let you turn the forum into your clubs forum if you so wished or ignored all threads relating to a club. Then more threads could be opened about each club but people could just have them filtered out, so no moaning.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Pssst...you missed one

:)

Edit...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,933 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Another plaster on the attempts to force all football fans into a single forum :)

astrofool wrote: »
    Another plaster on the attempts to force all football fans into a single forum :)

Partition did not work in India/Pakistan,Ireland,Korea or Germany,it will not work on the Boards soccer forum....;)

I like it. It's a nice inbetweeny between having a superthread forum and what it was.

And in saying that, I appreciate the three month review.

Any news on when the other results of the review thread will be announced?

Papa Smut wrote: »
    Any news on when the other results of the review thread will be announced?

We are still talking stuff through,to be honest most of the changes suggested were more low key and would not require an announcement as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

I think the suggestion about putting the mod warning of a thread in the first post has to happen. No one is going to go to post 457 to see a warning.

mink_man wrote: »
    I think the suggestion about putting the mod warning of a thread in the first post has to happen. No one is going to go to post 457 to see a warning.

Again folks this thread is about this one issue,we don't want to get bogged down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

Again folks this thread is about this one issue,we don't want to get bogged down.

alright, didn't realise :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

So instead of a sub forum we now have a front page of red captioned superthreads ? :confused:

Why not red caption the non superthread threads instead ??? You could caption them 'Not a superthread' :o

Maybe then they might stand out instead...This is what the discussion thread has resulted, seems to be a pretty poor response to what the thread actually entailed.

Do users have to Pm what they deem to be superthreads because there is still a few threads that some might deem to be super that have yet to be highlighted...

Wexford youths is deemed super enough but not Rovers ? Serie A even has super in the name lol.

Maybe the mods should re-read the forum thread again.This is a pretty poor response which only highlights the superthreads even more and wants us to use forum tools to remove them seems a lazy approach at best. :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Looks great. Thumbs up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I have to say I like it, but then I did want it to come in. I'm not sure about the colour, maybe COLOR="DarkRed"]DarkRed[/COLOR or COLOR="DarkGreen"]DarkGreen[/COLOR would work better? It could just be me though. It'a also a pity that your preference isn't saved, but maybe that will come with time. Anyway, I really like it :D

I just did as many threads as I could,I may have missed one or two but myself or one of the other mods will sort that out in the next day or so.

As for the colour,I believe thats something that can be changed but would have to check with the Admins.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Partition did not work in India/Pakistan,Ireland,Korea or Germany,it will not work on the Boards soccer forum....;)

yugoslavia was a shining example of togetherness

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Really don't see the purpose of the green prefix for the superthreads, if anything it is making the board harder to view.

If its not broken don't fix it imo.

As for the colour,I believe thats something that can be changed but would have to check with the Admins.

I just think it's slightly harsh on the eyes, I'll leave it with ye :D

I think its very well done. Colour is fine too.

Kudos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

It's ok, would agree with others about the sub forum for it, but this is slightly better than nothing.

Could you do it like bargain alerts?They have the prefix thing but not the annoying writing in front of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

L'prof wrote: »
    I have to say I like it, but then I did want it to come in. I'm not sure about the colour, maybe COLOR="DarkRed"]DarkRed[/COLOR or COLOR="DarkGreen"]DarkGreen[/COLOR would work better?
    They show up as Green for me. I'm using the blue boards theme.

• Advertisement

Vokes wrote: »
    They show up as Green for me. I'm using the blue boards theme.

They're green for me to, just an ugly shade of green. Maybe they just offend my tired eyes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

d22ontour wrote: »
    So instead of a sub forum we now have a front page of red captioned superthreads ? :confused:

Why not red caption the non superthread threads instead ??? You could caption them 'Not a superthread' :o

Maybe then they might stand out instead...This is what the discussion thread has resulted, seems to be a pretty poor response to what the thread actually entailed.

Do users have to Pm what they deem to be superthreads because there is still a few threads that some might deem to be super that have yet to be highlighted...

Wexford youths is deemed super enough but not Rovers ? Serie A even has super in the name lol.

Maybe the mods should re-read the forum thread again.This is a pretty poor response which only highlights the superthreads even more and wants us to use forum tools to remove them seems a lazy approach at best. :(
    OPENROAD wrote: »
    Really don't see the purpose of the green prefix for the superthreads, if anything it is making the board harder to view.

If its not broken don't fix it imo.

When you are on the main forum page, at the top you can filter the forum so that you see only the super thread or you don't see them at all, no filter leaves the currrent layout with the prefixed and non prefixed threads displaying

Given the lack of will for new forums and the current limitations of vBulletin this is a fairly neat solution that covers most of the complaints about the current forum set up

Ideally your prefix preference would be saved but hopefully that will come in time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

What the hell is your problem? Have you even tried it out? Some people didn't want superthreads in other places and some people did, it's a brilliant idea by producing prefixes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

SuperThreads unfree shall never be at Peace

merchandise.htm&t=1&usg=AFrqEze0NWN5djN622MmYYncrQq84cMWzA

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

how do you just get rid of the prefix to get it back the way it was ?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,597 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Jazzy wrote: »
    how do you just get rid of the prefix to get it back the way it was ?

select 'any prefix'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I like it. Probably the closest you're going to come to pleasing everyone. Well played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Brilliant idea - good to see mods actibvely looking to find a way to suit everyone. Good outside the box thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

That green superthread prefix looks awful in my opinion - have seen it in use on other forums before and have never been a fan of it. If it aint broke dont fix it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I like it.

It would be nice if it remembered my choice and filtered the threads every time I clicked into the soccer forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

This is a great idea!!! Much easier see the proper threads now . . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,144 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Hmmm....to be perfect...any chance we could have an option to select 1 superthread specifically from a drop down menu and have just that and the normal threads show up? i'd love to keep the liverpool thread, but dump the rest of the superthreads...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Could mods put the prefix on the spurs thread if they get a chance?

The colour has now been changed.

The colour has now been changed.
    What was wrong with the green which looked good, it looks awful now imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

SantryRed wrote: »
    What the hell is your problem?

Problem ? I have none, it's called an opinion and i voiced it just like others have too.
    Have you even tried it out?

What a stupid question.. No i didn't try it but based my opinion on it's flaws without 'trying' it. :rolleyes:

Some people didn't want superthreads in other places and some people did, it's a brilliant idea by producing prefixes!

In your opinion it is, in others it's a poor attempt on sorting the superthread problem many users have...Now it just looks awful.See it's opinion just like yours...

Do you see ??? :rolleyes:

In your opinion it is, in others it's a poor attempt on sorting the superthread problem many users have...Now it just looks awful.See it's opinion just like yours...

Do you see ??? :rolleyes:
    Why are you not happy with whats being currently done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Ah FFS ... I liked the Green ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Whoever changed the prefix from Green to black fair play its easier on the eyes but I still aint a fan.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

In non-filtered mode its a little harder to see th superthreads, but it makes no difference otherwise so no complaints here.

Has anyone come up with a clever workaround to sub the forum with the filter choice set?

In non-filtered mode its a little harder to see th superthreads, but it makes no difference otherwise so no complaints here.

Has anyone come up with a clever workaround to sub the forum with the filter choice set?

You can save the bookmark and that works.

• Advertisement
Advertisement