Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mod Announcement on Superthreads (prefix)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Hmmm....to be perfect...any chance we could have an option to select 1 superthread specifically from a drop down menu and have just that and the normal threads show up? i'd love to keep the liverpool thread, but dump the rest of the superthreads...

I asked for this before I think. It was the idea of personal stickies, so that perhaps when you subscribe to a thread, it would become a personal sticky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

One annoying thing about the new prefixs is how it changes the page title. I normally open up a bunch of tabs at once, like five or six megathreads, and then work my way through them. When I do that now, it just shows Superthread, Superthread, Superthread, Superthread, Superthread. I wonder is there a way to make the page title not include the superthread prefix?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I want a mod to explain to me the point of adding the superthread prefix as I fail to see what it achieves. I mean you would want to be dense not to know its a superthread in the first place considering they nearly all start with "Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread" and all have a ridiculously high amount of posts and views. They are easily recognisable as it is in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

redout wrote: »
    I want a mod to explain to me the point of adding the superthread prefix as I fail to see what it achieves. I mean you would want to be dense not to know its a superthread in the first place considering they nearly all start with "Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread" and all have a ridiculously high amount of posts and views. They are easily recognisable as it is in fairness.

People who don't like them clogging up the page can filter them out now. Its all been explained in the thread.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

My guess is that with the prefix, all of them can be filtered out leaving only the other threads and that's what some people want

flahavaj wrote: »
    People who don't like them clogging up the page can filter them out now. Its all been explained in the thread.
    dfx- wrote: »
    My guess is that with the prefix, all of them can be filtered out leaving only the other threads and that's what some people want

But sure that appeases only some people - what about the others who dont want them filtered out and now have to look at these superthread prefixes on the screen ?

Didnt the vote several months back not favour leaving it the way it was ?

It seems to me it adds a convenience for some by removing them whilst at the same time adding an inconvenience for others by adding in the prefixes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

But sure that appeases only some people - what about the others who dont want them filtered out and now have to look at these superthread prefixes on the screen ?

It seems to me it adds a convenience for some by removing them whilst at the same time adding an inconvenience for others by adding in the prefixes.

As far as I know, there are forums that use filters without the prefixes, maybe this is a solution to your issue.

Ading in prefixes isn't an inconvenience.

They might be a visual annoyance (but a very small one - who really gives a sh*t like), but not an inconvenience.

Ading in prefixes isn't an inconvenience.

They might be a visual annoyance (but a very small one - who really gives a sh*t like), but not an inconvenience.

Thats only your opinion - I say inconvenience.

It doesnt add up at all - people were saying visual annoyance about superthreads as being an inconvenience on the main page.

I dont think this has solved anything at all.

If L'prof suggestion is possible then I favour that.

• Advertisement

Thats only your opinion - I say inconvenience.

It doesnt add up at all - people were saying visual annoyance about superthreads as being an inconvenience on the main page.

I dont think this has solved anything at all.

If L'prof suggestion is possible then I favour that.

How does it make using the forum any more inconvenient for you to have an extra word in the title of some threads?

How does it make using the forum any more inconvenient for you to have an extra word in the title of some threads?

A visual annoyance as you put it would be an inconvenience - at least so states the dictionary.

Why should the page now be filled with black prefixes in front of the threads ?

I personally dont like the way it looks and much prefer the normal layout which if L'prof suggestion is correct could be applied by the simple click of a button by an admin.

If that was to happen then the request of the users who wanted the option of removing the superthreads would be met and the forum would appear as was for the majority of the users who voted against removing them in the first place.

That would seem the most logical soultion in this instance.

A visual annoyance as you put it would be an inconvenience - at least so states the dictionary.

It doesn't make the forum any more difficult to use though. Its just a few extra words FFS.
    Why should the page now be filled with black prefixes in front of the threads ?

Because some people don't want to read the superthreads. It makes the thread easier to use for them. Having an extra word on a few threads is a small price to pay and doesn't adversely affect the ease of use of the thread for anyone else.
    I personally dont like the way it looks and much prefer the normal layout which if L'prof suggestion is correct could be applied by the simple click of a button by an admin.

Is it really that big a deal? Honestly? A few words in black? Especially if it makes the forum easier to use for lots of other users?

If that was to happen then the request of the users who wanted the option of removing the superthreads would be met and the forum would appear as was for the majority of the users who voted against removing them in the first place.

That would seem the most logical soultion in this instance.

Maybe its not an option or as easy as you think to apply?

It seem to me you're giving out for the sake of it over something very very minor here tbh redout. I feel sorry for the mods in these circumstances - damned if you do and damned if you don't.

It doesn't make the forum any more difficult to use though. Its just a few extra words FFS.

No I never stated it did - I stated that I dont like the way it now appears.

Because some people don't want to read the superthreads. It makes the thread easier to use for them. Having an extra word on a few threads is a small price to pay and doesn't adversely affect the ease of use of the thread for anyone else.

But the suggestion by L'prof is more logical if it is possible.

Is it really that big a deal? Honestly? A few words in black? Especially if it makes the forum easier to use for lots of other users?

Yes it adds an inconvenience that could possibly be avoided - If it can be avoided surely it makes more sense to do do.

Maybe its not an option or as easy as you think to apply?

It seem to me you're giving out for the sake of it over something very very minor here tbh redout. .

But sure you dont have a clue if it is difficult to apply or not. For all you know it could be something that could be easily done and keeps things as they are and thus offer the most logical solution.

^^^^

Nothing new in any of those answers. You're just kicking up a fuss for the sake of it tbh.

^^^^

Nothing new in any of those answers. You're just kicking up a fuss for the sake of it tbh.

If you cannot see that that is the most logical solution then obviously you havent got your head screwed on.

• Advertisement

If you cannot see that that is the most logical solution then obviously you havent got your head screwed on.

Anyone with their head screwed on can see what your game is in this thread redout.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

In Bargain Alerts, they have the prefixes but the thread titles don't show them before it, so it can't be that hard to do if it's been done before.

As it is now, it's annoying to look at it, and pretty crap when you have several tabs open and you can only see superthread

Anyone with their head screwed on can see what your game is in this thread redout.;)

I think you are talking crap - you say I am arguing for the sake of it.

I stated on this thread yesterday that I do not like them as I have seen them on other forums which I use and have never been a fan of them.

I also already stated to you personally that I do not like them so to accuse me of arguing for the sake of it is just ridiculous.

I am arguing because I do not like them and if it is possible not to have them appear like L'prof suggested then I would favour that approach.

I liked the fact that I did not have to view them when I use boards but now it is that they appear but if there is a possible solution like has been suggested in this thread then I would like it applied.

I dont see anything wrong with me stating my views on the matter.

I think you are talking crap - you say I am arguing for the sake of it.

I stated on this thread yesterday that I do not like them as I have seen them on other forums which I use and have never been a fan of them.

I also already stated to you personally that I do not like them so to accuse me of arguing for the sake of it is just ridiculous.

I am arguing because I do not like them and if it is possible not to have them appear like L'prof suggested then I would favour that approach.

I liked the fact that I did not have to view them when I use boards but now it is that they appear but if there is a possible solution like has been suggested in this thread then I would like it applied.

I dont see anything wrong with me stating my views on the matter.

They're harmless, a few extra words in a few thread titles. Jesus Christ like. I always knew you were a stickler for detail but you're being pedantic beyond belief here.

They're harmless, a few extra words in a few thread titles. Jesus Christ like. I always knew you were a stickler for detail but you're being pedantic beyond belief here.

So because I dont like viewing them and you dont have a problem with viewing them you will just criticise me for doing so.

Nice one :rolleyes:

The solution I spoke of still makes the most sense if its possible which seems to be the case as another poster has stated that it is already applied on boards.ie

• Advertisement

So because I dont like viewing them and you dont have a problem with viewing them you will just criticise me for doing so.

Nice one :rolleyes:

The solution I spoke of still makes the most sense if its possible which seems to be the case as another poster has stated that it is already applied on boards.ie

No I criticise you for p*ssing and moaning about something so trivial and harmless redout, especially something that has been done to facilitate others, without putting anyone else out- save for a few precious pedants.

No I criticise you for p*ssing and moaning about something so trivial and harmless redout, especially something that has been done to facilitate others, without putting anyone else out- save for a few precious pedants.

So once it doesnt put you out and just the pedants as you put it everything is fine - good call :rolleyes:

The details on this matter are obviously important to some but you are just to ignorant to accept that.

So once it doesnt put you out and just the pedants as you put it everything is fine - good call :rolleyes:

The details on this matter are obviously important to some but you are just to ignorant to accept that.

It doesn't put anyone out, its just an extra word in the title of a few threads.

If the only people this puts out is the pedants then its definitely a good idea and will be here to stay I'd imagine.;)

Well done mods.

It doesn't put anyone out, its just an extra word in the title of a few threads.

If the only people this puts out is the pedants then its definitely a good idea and will be here to stay I'd imagine.;)

Well done mods.

Well lots hope the mods implement to most logical solution which has been stated already is possible here on boards.ie and in doing so appease everybody - pedants included ;)

PHB wrote: »
    One annoying thing about the new prefixs is how it changes the page title. I normally open up a bunch of tabs at once, like five or six megathreads, and then work my way through them. When I do that now, it just shows Superthread, Superthread, Superthread, Superthread, Superthread. I wonder is there a way to make the page title not include the superthread prefix?

Just use chrome lads:

27wshtd.jpg

8 threads open there and I know what each of them are, that's more than enough for me to be honest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

PHB wrote: »
    That's my beef too.
    L'prof wrote: »
    Just use chrome lads:

27wshtd.jpg

8 threads open there and I know what each of them are, that's more than enough for me to be honest!
    It doesn't really matter what browser you're using, once there's enough tabs open they're indistinguishable. Also which of those "Ma"s is which? ;)

amacachi wrote: »
    t doesn't really matter what browser you're using, once there's enough tabs open they're indistinguishable. Also which of those "Ma"s is which? ;)

Doesn't bother me in the slightest. Also, the fact that after 8 they become indistinguishable doesn't bother me either. I open threads in tabs because I want to read them all. Generally I read the Arsenal one last and move it to the very right of the screen. After that, it's irrelevant really.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Learn to multiquote; it's inconvenient to have to read your replies in bold and not to be able to respond.

I presume that's the answer you were looking for?

PHB raises a good point about the actual inconvenience of the prefixes in multiple tabs.

I presume that's the answer you were looking for?

What answer would that be ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Lads lest not get hung up on the cosmetic's of the new system,we are trying something new and we can maybe tweak and maybe make it more pleasing on the eye.That will come with time.We are not doing this to annoy anybody we are trying to make the forum a better place.

Lets try and concentrate on why we have done this and what the ramification's are both good and bad.I would be interested in how many of you are viewing the forum now without the superthreads and how you find it.

• Advertisement

Dub13 wrote: »
    I would be interested in how many of you are viewing the forum now without the superthreads and how you find it.

I think it's great, but as long as my preference isn't saved, I can see me using it less and less and eventually I'll be back to square one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Sorry for going off topic a bit but there should be a rule on no spoilers in thread titles on this forum at the very least till after MOTD has aired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

bohsman wrote: »
    Sorry for going off topic a bit but there should be a rule on no spoilers in thread titles on this forum at the very least till after MOTD has aired.

"Blackpool take the lead" wasn't much of a spoiler, tbf.

baz2009 wrote: »
    "Blackpool take the lead" wasn't much of a spoiler, tbf.

If "Liverpool take the lead" had been in todays title would that have been a spoiler? How is there a difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

bohsman wrote: »
    If "Liverpool take the lead" had been in todays title would that have been a spoiler? How is there a difference?

Liverpool didn't win so it wouldn't have spoiled the result.:confused:

So we should be able to put running updates in the title as long as the final result isnt mentioned?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,339 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I've sent a request to Ross and Conor to see if they can make the prefix invisible, like it is in the Bargain Alerts forum. I've no idea what's involved from a technical point of view, or how busy they are, so it might take a few days. Hopefully this will satisfy the majority of forum regulars as it can still be filtered to include or exclude the superthreads, whichever you prefer. No doubt someone somewhere still won't be happy about this solution, but really, have you nothing more important to worry about?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I figured it out, so prefixes are invisible now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

oscarBravo wrote: »

Nice, so now absolutely no impact for those that wanted the status quo and a nice innovation for those that want to filter out superthreads. Well done :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Nice one,I hope your efforts have been noticed by the top brass and they recognize this come Xmas bonus time.....;)

Zaph wrote: »
    I've sent a request to Ross and Conor to see if they can make the prefix invisible, like it is in the Bargain Alerts forum. I've no idea what's involved from a technical point of view, or how busy they are, so it might take a few days. Hopefully this will satisfy the majority of forum regulars as it can still be filtered to include or exclude the superthreads, whichever you prefer. No doubt someone somewhere still won't be happy about this solution, but really, have you nothing more important to worry about?

Well done lads - much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Haven't read all the pages but is there a way to permanently hide the superthreads or do you have to switch them off every time you a new page.

Forum looks good though without them.

Scuba Ste wrote: »
    Haven't read all the pages but is there a way to permanently hide the superthreads or do you have to switch them off every time you a new page.

No permanent fix at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Scuba Ste wrote: »

If you surf your way to the soccer forum then no luck but if you use bookmarks then just bookmark the page after applying the filter. The next time you use the bookmark you have auto filtered out the superthreads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Thank foooooooooooooook for that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement