Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why oh why can't I stop!!!

• 13-08-2010 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

No matter how much I try I just can't stop scoffing my face with all things bad after racing!:pac:
    I've got a recovery drink to have instead but always end up with cheese on toast, a double decker, and some biscuits! Can't stop eating for the evening!!!
    Gonna try and get rid of some timber for next years league races & have a goal of shedding 2 stone but how am I going to stop having the munchies after racing & training!?!!:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Find someting you like, that's not too loaded in calories and have that on hand after a race....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

A packet of these and some weak lemon squash for you sir.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSknUl0SCYqVLMgGPTKkuGd9MV_dC2OEiQVW86wSjpMX5dA4cg&t=1&usg=__GYbRZWUATaHVev6Di-4wag8UnZY=

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭English Bob

Would easily get through that packet with a decent slab of extra mature cheddar or some Brie with a large glass of good red wine!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I hear you man. What I try to do is to have the plan for what I'm going to eat and then savage that when I get home. Then it's up to the shower and by the time that's finished, some of the food has hit my stomach (or the bit that makes me feel hungry) so the main feeling of starvation has passed.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Plenty of water, and try and get off to sleep. If you feel as if you must have some food, try something like porridge, which at least is very filling, and should hopefully temper your appetite a little the next day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stas

Will power doesn't help? ;-)

I've gotten into a habit of eating better stuff in the evening. Not less, but better. No heavy meat, a big NO to potatoes/bread/cookies/sweets, no fatty foods. I make salads for myself: lots of fresh veg and an oven-cooked chicken breast. No mayonnaise or oil. Fresh tomatoes add a bit of a moist to it, so it's okay. I also add a tablespoon of low fat cottage cheese (from Aldi) or feta cheese (more fat in it though). So going through half a bowl gets me stuffed. And then there's another half just in case.

And if I'm still craving I just have some fruit ready. Peaches, apples. No bananas though in the evening. Drink lots of water and go to bed earlier, so that not to get hungry again at midnight... As a rule I try not to eat anything bar some fruit after 8pm.

All it takes is just getting used to it.

Some food for thought here!!
    Definitely sounds like a benefit to have a plan of what I'm going to eat rather than just hunting through the cupboards and grabbing the first thing.
    I find it difficult to get to sleep after a race so end up munching and watching crap on tv for a few hours. On reflection though maybe the sugary foods don't help.
    Just want to shed a bit of weight to make climbing a little better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

I find that if I don't nibble before, during and immediately after an exercise session I get that frenzied munchie thing.

Its your primeval internal monkey telling you to replace calories or you will die I reckon.

Try the constant nibbling thing-keeps my internal monkey quiet enough that I can ignore him.:).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

I don't race but after a long spin, I usually have a can of tuna or two with bread (brown or white), plenty of water. I also munch a lot when I'm on the bike - the usual stuff plus jelly tots. This normally keeps me from over doing it until the morning or lunch time if I've gone out early. Is it possible to eat when you're racing?

Found I did better after club spin today. Made sure to drink more and had energy gel on bike. Had recovery drink and banana as soon as was in doors. Resisted the urge to hunt for chocolate & felt great.
    Maybe it was a bit of dehydration as well as hunger?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Make hoummus. I make loads of it. Eat with crudites (raw veg.), you'll soon fill up. Cheap and healthy.
    Made two 2lb. pudding bowls of it last night.
    :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭rughdh

Maybe it was a bit of dehydration as well as hunger?

Possibly.

I don't know whether this is true across the board, but my brain can't tell the difference between hunger and thirst, especially when I'm dehydrated. I shot up from 11.5 stone to 14 stone when I took up cycling (beyond a short commute) a few months after giving up the cigarettes in January 2007. I think it's because I thought I needed loads of bars and sweets etc. Not hydrating enough added to the problem. I gave all that up in mid July and added more water to the regime and lost a stone in a fortnight. The furthest I've gone in a day, since changing to high protein, low carb and not especially high fat foods is 200k, without any problems. Most of it was pootling along, but I did a flat out 35k in the middle. I'm not advocating it, though. It's just that it suits me.

Advertisement