Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant acceptance

Options
  • 13-08-2010 9:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi
    I got a letter from kilkenny coco other day to say I was going to be given a grant and to return some forms to them immediately however one of the forms they have sent me needs to be stamped by the college so obviously I can only do this once I am registered at the beginning of September will I be ok sending the forms back then..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭GSOIRL

Firstly congrats on getting the grant. Secondly sorry this doesn't help you but I'm wondering if you could answer a question for me please?

When you applied for the grant where you at any time asked to prove that you had sufficient income/money to support you throughout the duration of your course?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

mousehouse wrote: »
    Hi
    I got a letter from kilkenny coco other day to say I was going to be given a grant and to return some forms to them immediately however one of the forms they have sent me needs to be stamped by the college so obviously I can only do this once I am registered at the beginning of September will I be ok sending the forms back then..
    Send the forms back with a cover letter explaining what you just said. Then get onto the college and harass them politely as well explaining that you need the acceptance form stamped as soon as.

They will send the form back to you to be stamped but in the meantime your application will be going through the red tape process.

GSOIRL wrote: »
    Firstly congrats on getting the grant. Secondly sorry this doesn't help you but I'm wondering if you could answer a question for me please?

When you applied for the grant where you at any time asked to prove that you had sufficient income/money to support you throughout the duration of your course?
    You mentioned this before it is unusual. If I were you I would submit everything that you have gathered in the official sense and deal with this unusual problem later.

As far as I know the grant form application is comprehensive enough and does not include what you mentioned about having to support yourself. all you can do is complete all the forms as best you can and try not to raise the issue mentioned to much.

unless there is a form which requires your declaration of proof of future income (which as far as I know does not exist) then drive forward and keep your application on track with the official forms. It is all red tape the less situations you choose to bring up the better.

Cheers for your help but the reason I'm asking this is because I have submitted everything already and it's all good except I've got a letter and email back from my council asking for proof of future income. So it is the only thing holding up my acceptance. I have pointed out that it doesn't say I need this anywhere but the lady in the council keeps insisting on it. I'm just wondering if any other council in the country is asking for the same thing or is it just my council.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Cheers for your help but the reason I'm asking this is because I have submitted everything already and it's all good except I've got a letter and email back from my council asking for proof of future income. So it is the only thing holding up my acceptance. I have pointed out that it doesn't say I need this anywhere but the lady in the council keeps insisting on it. I'm just wondering if any other council in the country is asking for the same thing or is it just my council.
    Sounds to me like this woman in Dun Laoghaire Rathdown has got it wrong! Have you heard anything back from any TDs or councillors?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Hi Johnny

Heard nothing from any of the TD's. A few of the councillors have got back to me. Two of them have actually helped. Well they put me in contact with someone in the Higher Education section in DLRCOCO that knows I shouldn’t be asked for this and he has emailed me to say they don’t want the information anymore.

I have emailed back asking that every other person in DLRCOCO that has been asked for the information be contacted immediately to say it is not necessary. I won’t hold my breath as it pained him to even say they made a mistake. In fact he didn’t confirm it was a mistake but a misunderstanding.

Misunderstanding??? This is cut and paste from the email they sent me.

Your declared income is considered as being an insufficient income to support you, in line with the recommended national guidelines, throughout the duration of your course as an Independent Mature Candidate. In order to assess your application, it is necessary for you to demonstrate a reasonable level of income to support you e.g. Rent/Household Bills etc

No misunderstanding on my part. That’s pretty clear to me what they were asking for and if I wasn’t 100% sure just from this the 40min phone conversation cleared it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

what I used to do was get it stamped at registration and then send them on. I never had any problems.

You dont get the first payment till well into college anyway.

Hi Johnny

Heard nothing from any of the TD's. A few of the councillors have got back to me. Two of them have actually helped. Well they put me in contact with someone in the Higher Education section in DLRCOCO that knows I shouldn’t be asked for this and he has emailed me to say they don’t want the information anymore.

I have emailed back asking that every other person in DLRCOCO that has been asked for the information be contacted immediately to say it is not necessary. I won’t hold my breath as it pained him to even say they made a mistake. In fact he didn’t confirm it was a mistake but a misunderstanding.

Misunderstanding??? This is cut and paste from the email they sent me.

Your declared income is considered as being an insufficient income to support you, in line with the recommended national guidelines, throughout the duration of your course as an Independent Mature Candidate. In order to assess your application, it is necessary for you to demonstrate a reasonable level of income to support you e.g. Rent/Household Bills etc

No misunderstanding on my part. That’s pretty clear to me what they were asking for and if I wasn’t 100% sure just from this the 40min phone conversation cleared it up.
    So your sorted so?

Nearly there. Hopefully no more mystery requests will come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

To GSOIRL,

did you put anything in the Change of circumstances section of the grant application, if you did that's where the problem lies, they just want documentation to prove there is a permanent change in your income.

• Advertisement
Advertisement