Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there Gaurds on Clare Island?

Options
  • 13-08-2010 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

I was just listening to the Saw Doctors "Clare Island" and I heard the line, "...in both the bars, coz there's no gaurds, to take our names and send us home."

Is there actually any gaurds on Clare Island?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Captainship

Reillyman wrote: »
    I was just listening to the Saw Doctors "Clare Island" and I heard the line, "...in both the bars, coz there's no gaurds, to take our names and send us home."

Is there actually any gaurds on Clare Island?

why are you on the run lol
    icon7.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I've an Uncle was out there and was having a few pints in the pub, at 1.00am He asked the bar owner when they closed, to which He got the answer "September"

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭clived2

no there are not,

the locals will sort ya out though if ya cause any hassle,

but the place is awesome,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

No Gárdai stationed on Clare Island. Gárdaí from Louisburgh may visit occasionally, but as they would use one of the CI based ferries running from Roonagh the islanders would hardly be caught by surprise.

Tradition has it that in the time of the British landlords a RN gunboat was sent in support of the sheriff to collect decrees for rent. It is said that the islanders stoned the sailors when they were trying to land.

IN the days when summonses and other court documents had to be served by hand, when the summons server asked a boatman to bring him into the island he would be asked who was sending out the summons. If it was a court case between two Clare Islanders he was brought into the island and home again no problem.

If the summons was from someone from the mainland against an islander, or moreso from a Government Department, Revenue or Council against an islander the boatman would declare that the weather was going to turn bad and that while he might be able to get the summons server into the island that he could be marooned there for a week.

However everybody in Clare Island always complies fully with the law, irrespective of Gárda presence or absence.

I can't vouch for pub closing times as I always leave at the lawful time.

Pls believe me on these points.

BTW the island was and is an O'Malley stronghold - part of their family crest is a flying pig.

There may have been an RIC barracks there at one time. I believe there were RIC on the Inishkeas which had a smaller population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

Of course I listened to the docs sure I'm a concert veteran, the lyrics just made me thinking about it, island life, etc.

Anyone on here live on an Island? Just wondering what it's like living in a certain amount of isolation. I wouldn't mind the scenery and ambiance, but I'd be weary enough of having no emergency services etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement