Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does DVI carry audio?

Options
  • 13-08-2010 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭

Had a workmate ask me this today.

I'm sure all the latest Ati does and that Nvidia's didn't but may do now, but not sure if his 8800GTS will. Has it been added in the latest drivers or is it even possible? Will a dvi cable with a dvi to hdmi adapter provide audio? Can someone please clear this up for me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

ATI does, nvidia doesnt unless you have a card with a pass through from onboard or discreet audio card, i.e. if that 8800GTS has an S/PDIF input it will be able to handle HDMI audio

The ATI option is easier as the HD cards have an onboard audio card to decode for HDCP. Also the ATI HDMI connectors are not standard ones, i.e. if you use a standard DVI->HDMI connector on an ATI card instead of the one that comes with it, it wont carry the audio. I dont know if this is the same for nvidia cards as my media rig has an ati card

Heres an old article including the 8800GTS - http://www.anandtech.com/show/2120/13

Advertisement