Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not ellible for 50% fees, what a ****ing joke

Options
  • 13-08-2010 10:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

Found out today I have to pay ~€6000. Apparently you can't have been in college for the last 5 years to qualify for 50% fees.

What an absolute joke. Seriously doubt I'll be going back to college now (dropped out 2 years ago). No wonder there is so many people on the dole these days.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,512 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You had your go at college and dropped out. Presumably from choice, rather than illness or another reason which might get you a sympathetic hearing in terms of picking up where you left off.

If people could continue to get grants having dropped out they could become perpetual students, doing two or three years then starting again, and at the country's expense. Rules like that make it possible for the greatest number of students to have their chance at an education.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

looksee wrote: »
    You had your go at college and dropped out. Presumably from choice, rather than illness or another reason which might get you a sympathetic hearing in terms of picking up where you left off.

If people could continue to get grants having dropped out they could become perpetual students, doing two or three years then starting again, and at the country's expense. Rules like that make it possible for the greatest number of students to have their chance at an education.

Could being the operative word. Most people don't become pereptual students and decide to go back and do the course they want to do.

I don't see why people shouldn't get a second chance at education. Who has a clue what they want to do when there 17 and filling out their cao?
    I studied medicine at undergrad and dropped out after four years as hated every second minute of it, after trying to give a decent stab at it for my parents sake who were helping to fund me. However, its something I will pay for the rest of my life now. After four years of working, I finally know what I want to do for the rest of my life, but grants are out of my reach because I didn't know at 17 and 18 what I wanted to do with my life!

Fionn at least your getting 50% fee's,most of us are getting diddley squat :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,512 ✭✭✭✭looksee

panda100 wrote: »
    Could being the operative word. Most people don't become pereptual students and decide to go back and do the course they want to do.

I don't see why people shouldn't get a second chance at education. Who has a clue what they want to do when there 17 and filling out their cao?
    I studied medicine at undergrad and dropped out after four years as hated every second minute of it, after trying to give a decent stab at it for my parents sake who were helping to fund me. However, its something I will pay for the rest of my life now. After four years of working, I finally know what I want to do for the rest of my life, but grants are out of my reach because I didn't know at 17 and 18 what I wanted to do with my life!

Panda, I totally agree with you, and I think many people are not ready for that decision at 17/18. However to give everyone a fair go at a subsidised education there has to be a cut off between grants. If you were living in the US you would not have had those grants for the first attempt.

If you did not get your degree the last time you should have entitlements as a mature student by now, or pretty soon, why not investigate them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

panda100 wrote: »
    Exactly. I stopped doing my course because I utterly hated some of the modules, to the point where I couldn't motivate myself to even learn enough to pass the exams. I figured there was no way in hell I was going to want to do it for 3 more years and then as a job. Since I dropped out I've had my heart set on the course I wanted to do this Sept, was really looking forward to it and dead serious about getting my head down and getting my life back on track. Now I've been blown out of the water with a €5800 fee. There are probably far better things I could do with six grand like investment... christ you could set up a bloody business with that.
    I'm not eligible (hence the thread). I'm 21 and have been out of education for over two years but apparently you have to be out for 5 years. So basically if you drop out you have to wait til you're about 23, which is a mature student anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭fionav3

What are 50% fees? This is the first I've heard of them.

Also, agree with what the others are saying. I was forced into going to college at 18 by my parents. Without much clue of what I wanted to do, I picked English because it was the only subject I enjoyed at school. Needless to say, my degree is now the value of toilet paper. Even with a masters/phd, employment is impossible. Most of my graduating class (including those with MAs/PhDs) are unemployed. I think there are 5 lucky graduates with jobs and that's it. At 29, I now know what I want to do and am going back after nearly 2 friggin years on the dole and do I qualify for help? Do I heck. And I can't even get a job to see me through college. I think genuine second chances should be at least given some sort of a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Marvel80

I am in the exact same situation! Am 30 and did my Degree as it was the only offer i got on the CAO and I felt as though I should do it for my parents. Now i have been accepted to the course Ive been dreaming of for the last 4 years but have to defer to try and save up enough to actually pay the fees, which by the way are over €9,000 per year!! But I will beg, borrow and steal as my dream is to be a Midwife and you really do only live once so who cares about what it costs.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 41,067 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Marvel80 wrote: »
    I am in the exact same situation! Am 30 and did my Degree as it was the only offer i got on the CAO and I felt as though I should do it for my parents. Now i have been accepted to the course Ive been dreaming of for the last 4 years but have to defer to try and save up enough to actually pay the fees, which by the way are over €9,000 per year!! But I will beg, borrow and steal as my dream is to be a Midwife and you really do only live once so who cares about what it costs.:)
    did the grant turn you down on the basis you are living with your parents?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Marvel80

Well I have a Degree so you must pay full fees, I havnt lived at home in years but again wount qualify for anything as I have a Degree. When I went to college before I never got a grant and my parents supported me the whole time.

It really is counterproductive for the government. I spent last year on the dole, waiting it out til I could go back to college, determined to do well. I was relying on this to get my life back on track. Now it's been made virtually impossible for me, I'm probably looking at another year on the dole and maybe even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Why are your fee's so High? Mine are only 1,500

• Advertisement

Is that to repeat externally or something? I'm going back starting a new course. I presume I don't have to pay for 2nd and 3rd year, but even still it's an obscene about that I cannot afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭fionav3

Irishchick wrote: »
    Why are your fee's so High? Mine are only 1,500

Irishchick, have you done a degree before? Those fees sound like they're just the registration fee which is all someone who never got a degree before has to pay. Full fees (for those of us who have been to college before) run into the thousands and that's why our fees are so bloody high! It's mental. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

Is that to repeat externally or something? I'm going back starting a new course. I presume I don't have to pay for 2nd and 3rd year, but even still it's an obscene about that I cannot afford.

to be fair, it's pretty great that you just have to pay 1 years fee. I know it's a lot of money, but i'm not sure i would call it a joke. The same system applies to everyone, but many mature students have to pay the full whack of 3-4 years fees. Anyway, since you've been on the dole are you not entitled to BTEA? Also, you could get a student loan?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭phunkymonk

Marvel80 wrote: »
    Well I have a Degree so you must pay full fees, I havnt lived at home in years but again wount qualify for anything as I have a Degree. When I went to college before I never got a grant and my parents supported me the whole time.

Hoping to go back to college prob next yr at this stage,got degree in 2008 - have been workin last 2 years and living away from home,never got grant before..so if i go back next yr il be 3 yrs out of college and 25...would i be entitled to anything for a masters?

Where is the best place to find out about grants?

Feu wrote: »
    to be fair, it's pretty great that you just have to pay 1 years fee. I know it's a lot of money, but i'm not sure i would call it a joke. The same system applies to everyone, but many mature students have to pay the full whack of 3-4 years fees.
    Well as it stands, I'll have to wait til I'm 24 to go to college anyway. And if I was expected to pay €18k for a full course I wouldn't even entertain the thought.
    Anyway, since you've been on the dole are you not entitled to BTEA?
    Not entitled to BTEA because I was taken off the dole due to missing a signing day, I then had to stay with family in England because I could not afford to rent, eat and 'job seek' on €100 (literally had about €10 left after rent and food, not including bills. Was not particularly fussed as I was aiming to be back in college this Sept.
    Also, you could get a student loan?
    I didn't think there were student loans in Ireland (due to most people not having to pay fees)?

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

Well as it stands, I'll have to wait til I'm 24 to go to college anyway. And if I was expected to pay €18k for a full course I wouldn't even entertain the thought.
    even for a course "you had your heart set on"? Have you been accepted for this course? if you are not going to take up the place, perhaps you could let the uni know, as someone else could take it up.

Not entitled to BTEA because I was taken off the dole due to missing a signing day, I then had to stay with family in England because I could not afford to rent, eat and 'job seek' on €100 (literally had about €10 left after rent and food, not including bills. Was not particularly fussed as I was aiming to be back in college this Sept.
    well, perhaps you could put some of your energy to use sorting out your dole situation/looking for a job - then you could save and perhaps pay your 1 year of fees next year. I don't know about hanging on til your 24 - maybe there won't be free fees then? Who knows?

I didn't think there were student loans in Ireland (due to most people not having to pay fees)?
    Well you could set up a student account, you may still have one? and if you had a guarantor, [1 parent or guardian with a fairly steady job - doesn't have to be mega bucks] then you should be able to get a loan for fees.

OP i think it's brilliant that you want to go back to education, but be more positive, this should be an excting opportunity? Perhaps you could investigate more of your options before you write the whole thing off? Shame to miss out on a course you've got your heart set on.

Advertisement