Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soccer AM is back!

• 13-08-2010 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭

Saturday at 10am - the show that I wake up on Saturdays for is BACK for the new season.

First guests - Newcastle United's Danny Simpson, comedian Omid Djalili and actor Cary Elwes.

Any other boardsies as excited as I am?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Can't say I am. It's a poor shadow of a show thats best years were five years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

+1
    not the same since lovejoy left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Some people think Rushden is great. But he annoys me greatly. I haven't been a regular viewer since Lovejoy left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭CFC1905_NK

Each episode is now 2 hours long, as opposed to 3 last season. Wonder what parts they'll have cut?

And yeah, I'll agree the Lovejoy years were the best. I still really enjoy it though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

You spelt crap wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

It has been dreadful since Lovejoy went. Out of 3 hours there is rarely more than 5 mins of humour in it. Only really watch the show if there is an interesting guest on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Hands up who wakes up late and misses it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

it's been poor since lovejoy left and even the last year he was on ,wasnt great either.now that it's on for a hour less it mite improve it seemed like they were filing the show up with **** sketches the last few years .hopefully less rocket,i think hes an annoying prick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Ever since Sheephead left it's been ****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Tubes' question was funny the first 3 times. Now its just embarrasing, the celebs he makes noises for are forcing laughter.

Loved the show with Lovejoy though. Why did they get rid of Boston goals?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

CFC1905_NK wrote: »
    Each episode is now 2 hours long, as opposed to 3 last season. Wonder what parts they'll have cut?

And yeah, I'll agree the Lovejoy years were the best. I still really enjoy it though!

I thought this was just for tomorrow since they'd have no highlights to show etc since it's the first weekend?

I hope it's not permanently this way?

(agree with the Lovejoy opinions by the way)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Dave D

Well Im happy its back. Better than anything else on at that time :D
    But I do agree it has gone down hill a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I think 2 hours would be the perfect length,they wouldnt need as much filler.it is the only thing on at that time of the morning worth watching.Boston Goals ftw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

yabadabado wrote: »
    I think 2 hours would be the perfect length,they wouldnt need as much filler.it is the only thing on at that time of the morning worth watching.Boston Goals ftw!

CENTRIFUGAL FORCE!!!!!!!

0.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,601 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Hopefully they cut the parts where they have musicians/bands on, I dont watch a show called soccer am to see the latest indie bands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Not excited at all. Rushden is muck. Most of it is repetitive crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Also, while Helen is certainly MILF quality, there's certainly room for improvement!

I realise that she's technically not a MILF!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I find the humour in this lower brow and more childish than the den. I stick it on for the show boat and third eye. They can be good.

I think its a missed opportunity though. With better comedians and if its humour was nt aimed towards the football louts this could be brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭Mr Posh

I miss Sheephead, they need to mix up the format a bit its stale!!!! Rushdens muck plus a Scumbridge fan which makes it worse!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

2 Funny Sketchs , 3rd eye & show boating is all it's worth .
    Could be a 10 min show .

M.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

s Soccer AM Lowest Common Denominator telly?- Christs its awful I managed 4 minutes before switching...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Once Lovejoy, Fenners and a few others left it's been sh't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Fromvert wrote: »
    Once Lovejoy, Fenners and a few others left it's been sh't.

Well its just the same jokes every weeks, the show should be pulled, its gone past its expire date by about 3 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,567 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Past it's expiry date or not I just never got this show from the start.

For me it appealed more to an English ladz or chav culture, with all the chanting etc.

Gillette Soccer Saturday is back, would be more excited about that, enjoy that a lot more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

They should have shaved a further two hours off it every week. It is rubbish and has been for about 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

really glad they cut it back to 2 hrs. 9am is too early to be getting up on a sat.
    the gas thing is they havent cut anything out, they just cut out all the waffle.
    hopefull there will be more quality this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

efb wrote: »
    s Soccer AM Lowest Common Denominator telly?- Christs its awful I managed 4 minutes before switching...

Agreed, I think its awful - tabloid TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

efb wrote: »

Yup....a show I go out of my way to avoid seeing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Raedwald

Very poor show these days, havent watched it since lovejoy left.

I assume their budget must of been slashed as well.

Soccer Saturday with the lads is much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭peejay1986

I don't think it was Lovejoy's departure that killed it, personally I think the loss of Fenners and Sheephead contributed more to the demise. I went to see it filmed a couple of times and Fenners did so much work behind the camera. Dyson (another one who left) was telling me how he basically came up with all the sketches for himself/Sheephead, such as Topless Weather, Barry and more. He got the audience rallied up too. These days the audience sound like zombies.

Shame. Used to get up at 9am every Saturday to watch it. Now it's utter garbage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

peejay1986 wrote: »
    audience sound like zombies

I assume you mean crew?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭peejay1986

GSPfan wrote: »
    I assume you mean crew?

Well, that too. The old crew were brilliant though. Always amazed me how lively they were at 9am on a Saturday morning. Especially since some do be up all night working on the show. The new crew is a joke though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

That show has been a joke for about 5 or 6 years now. I turned it back on towards the end of last season and guess what, it was exactly the same as the last time i'd watched it, 2 years previously. I could even time when they were going to do things...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Yeah agree with most posts so far.... It has been pretty rubbish since Lovejoy left it. I've watched it a few times since then and I think i've seen a different male presenter on it every time..

It really does need a good shake-up as it is currently pants.. Who gets up before 12 on a saturday anyway??? jesus! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I think Tim Lovejoy is being given a little too much credit here. He isn't all that really. All his subsequent work has been Grade A cringe tosh.
    Helen is getting mouldy as well.
    The less said about Rushden the better. Reminds me of an over eager teaboy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

Ah here Lovejoy was as good as people are saying... His gags were always brilliant and even the ones that weren't he'd always manage to get away with it... Plus when the soccerettes came out he was always just the right amount of pervy! Do agree that his work after that has been poor! But a Soccer AM ledge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Ah here Lovejoy was as good as people are saying... His gags were always brilliant and even the ones that weren't he'd always manage to get away with it... Plus when the soccerettes came out he was always just the right amount of pervy! Do agree that his work after that has been poor! But a Soccer AM ledge!

Agreed .. Soccer AM was good in it's day (7yrs ago) .
    LoveJoy , Sheephead & Rocket were hilarious in the early days .
    Remember the sketch of the nude campers ...
    "what's that your holding ?"
    "it's a ThermoFlask"
    "what's it do?"
    "keeps hot things hot , and cold things cold"
    "really ? What's in it now?"
    "2 cups of coffee and a choc ice ! "

Not a great joke but hilarious when the sketch wad done .. Great chemistry.

Also the Micheal Jackson sketch was v. funny

Now is another story .. Pure rubbish.

mixednuts wrote: »
    Agreed .. Soccer AM was good in it's day (7yrs ago) .
    LoveJoy , Sheephead & Rocket were hilarious in the early days .
    Remember the sketch of the nude campers ...
    "what's that your holding ?"
    "it's a ThermoFlask"
    "what's it do?"
    "keeps hot things hot , and cold things cold"
    "really ? What's in it now?"
    "2 cups of coffee and a choc ice ! "

Not a great joke but hilarious when the sketch wad done .. Great chemistry.

Also the Micheal Jackson sketch was v. funny

Now is another story .. Pure rubbish.

Ye used to love that sketch... And the one when he came out in the ostrich costume.. As if he was riding it! Soccer AM used to be about the gags but it seems to have turned into a real student show.. I still enjoy it but my dad used to watch it when Lovejoy was there! Its lost its adult edge or something!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I'm with Aidric here. Lovejoy is terrible and one of the most hated "pundits" in England for a reason. Here's a nice review of his book that demonstrates why:
    http://www.wsc.co.uk/content/view/145/29/

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I'm with Aidric here. Lovejoy is terrible and one of the most hated "pundits" in England for a reason. Here's a nice review of his book that demonstrates why:
    So what?... Soccer AM was fantastic while he was there... Couldnt give 2 shíts if hes the most hated cnut in England.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Haha, nice read. Almost reads like a review written by Irvine Welsh to begin with. This line made me sick a little in my mouth however.
    The hardest thing about leaving *Soccer AM,” he says regretfully, “is the thought that I might no longer be influencing the game.
    You would like to think that was said tongue in cheek but with Lovejoy it's probably not the case.

Advertisement