Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa vs West Ham United - Saturday 14 August 3pm - Setanta Ireland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I know its early doors, but West Ham look very poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,125 ✭✭✭Patser

Was Downing not offside?

Looking at replay and think it was a case of Albrighton shoots, Downing not interfering with play, Green saves so now a new play in action and Downing was level with the ball when Green punched it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Patser wrote: »
    Looking at replay and think it was a case of Albrighton shoots, Downing not interfering with play, Green saves so now a new play in action and Downing was level with the ball when Green punched it.
    But he was offside when he took the shot as a save doesn't as a pass or controlling the ball does it?

Great play Young!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Villa battering West Ham so far.

McDonald for manager??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Villa battering West Ham so far.

McDonald for manager??

We should try staff rotation. New manager syndrome every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,839 ✭✭✭✭28064212

But he was offside when he took the shot as a save doesn't as a pass or controlling the ball does it?
    When the shot was taken, he was offside, and he was most definitely "active". Terrible decision by the linesman

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

We should try staff rotation. New manager syndrome every week.

Raffle the position to earn funds.

Might work, Steve Staunton's Ireland won 3-0 on his first game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Should have been a peno

• Advertisement

Tea-lady in charge for the Rapid game so.

Cole looks to be West Ham's only hope - their midfield is getting destroyed.

This is Kev Mac's second game as a manager.

His first was stepping in for Stan against Cyprus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Tompkins a definte liability for WestHam

Tompkins Entire defence a definte liability for WestHam

FYP

Villa should really be more than 1 up

This is great. Aside from football being back, we're playing with such positivity and creativity it's great to watch. It's great to see Luke Young back. It's great to see Ciaran Clark getting another run out. It's great to see Ashley Young playing like he's gives a crap. And I know it's only 1-0 but it's great to see us hammering someone. Up the Villa.

Get in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Great header Petrov!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

That's a ****ing cracking goal from Petrov with an outstanding cross from Young.

Woop Woop!

edit:

harewood just scored for Blackpool, another MON transfer mistake selling him

Joking joking in case another 'irony' comment is torn apart;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

That's Petrov's first league goal in about 2 years

Petrov making a run into the box :D

Game over i'd imagine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Harewood on the scoresheet for Blackpool :D

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Harewood on the scoresheet for Blackpool :D

Delighted for him. He could end up being a hero in Blackpool. And he's scored twice now!

Quote from BBC live text:

Aston Villa goal: It's been coming… Villa get a deserved second as Ashley Young dinks in a cross and Stiliyan Petrov powers a header past the helpless Green from 8 yards out. Villa fans now chanting "There's only one Randy Lerner". Martin O'Neill, it appears, has quickly been forgotten.

Edit:

Harewood again, on 2 now Blackpool 3-0 up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

The hare has scored two for blackpool today. Absolutely delighted. Balouuuuuuu

Great 1st half from us considering the circus that was last week
    Great to see L. Young back and Albrighton impressing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Helix wrote: »
    Starting xi isnt a million miles from our strongest possible. Should be good enough to win

who is it who says i havent got a clue and im negative all the time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Great first half from Villa. Everyone working their socks off.
    Impressed with Albrighton. The 5 in midfield is working really well. Fair play to Milner for working so hard, with all the transfer speculation. I shouldn't be surprised of course!

Everyone :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,018 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Martin O'Neill's team, formation and tactics.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Jesus we are shocking :(
    Need to get Barrera on if we're gonna have any chance. It's probably gonna be another long season.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    Martin O'Neill's team, formation and tactics.

its clearly not mons tactics, we're playing football

we pretty much never did it under mon, despite being able to. its amazing the difference a manager who'll let players actually play their own game can do

Need to get Barrera on if we're gonna have any chance. It's probably gonna be another long season.

I've always really liked the West Ham, and it's a shame that they are in the hands of such detestable vagabonds, but while they are, I'm sorry, I just can't sympathise with your situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Im delighted for Stan.

didnt we only get 1 point against them last year?

:)

:)

he was saying they were rubbish and we should have no problem beating them, i said we had plenty of problems beating them last year

facts arent negativity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Iv grown tired of turning to my dad and saying "this is the worst performance I have ever seen from the Hammers". I say it so often it has become redundant.

Really poor showing. The backline is a mess. Winston Reid is turning into Tyrone Mears before our very eyes, James Tomkins remains the liability I believe him to be (his first involvement with the Hammers since gifting Kevin Doyle a goal with a slack back pass, was almost gifting Carew a free goal, before almost obliging himself (thank God for the upright). Green has settled, but not before making a very costly error. Illunga has caught Schemmel syndrome.

In fact, it is an indictment of todays performance that the standout players are Kovac and Boa Morte. Cole has put himself about a bit. Faubert is NOT a right winger. His pace was useful in defence, but that is about it. Parker is unsettled, and the decision to leave him behind from the World Cup has been wholly vindicated.

We need Hitzelsperger, Barrara, Piquionne, Ben Haim, and Caciedo back and onas soon as possible.

he was saying they were rubbish and we should have no problem beating them, i said we had plenty of problems beating them last year

facts arent negativity

So we are both right. And I hope I'm not jinxing the second half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,018 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

its clearly not mons tactics, we're playing football

we pretty much never did it under mon, despite being able to. its amazing the difference a manager who'll let players actually play their own game can do
    Yeah he moved Ashley Young in behind the front man in preseason and played Albrighton.

He was in charge of getting the team ready until 5 days ago, nothing changes at that late stage so just accept the reality of the situation. Its Martin O'Neill's team, formation and tactics.

Het-Field wrote: »
    Iv grown tired of turning to my dad and saying "this is the worst performance I have ever seen from the Hammers". I say it so often it has become redundant.

In fact, it is an indictment of todays performance that the standout players are Kovac and Boa Morte. Cole has put himself about a bit. Faubert is NOT a right winger. His pace was useful in defence, but that is about it. Parker is unsettled, and the decision to leave him behind from the World Cup has been wholly vindicated.

Both subbed at half time. Is Grant watching the same game as you?

• Advertisement

Yeah he moved Ashley Young in behind the front man in preseason and played Albrighton.

He was in charge of getting the team ready until 5 days ago, nothing changes at that late stage so just accept the reality of the situation. Its Martin O'Neill's team, formation and tactics.

again, we're playing much better football. stuff we never played under mon. confident build up play, composure on the ball, measured attacks - everything we were missing under o'neill

we'll see what happens in the second half whether we invite west ham onto us like we wouldve under mon, and make it hard for ourselves

same formation, same squad, different mentality so far - theyre looking like a group of lads enjoying what they do instead of ones terrified to make a mistake and resorting to hoofing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

In fairness you can't say that when MON hasn't been there all week.

Sloppy from warnock, he's not good under pressure

Lashing down!

Where did that come from, looked sunny all game so far.

West Ham have come out better anyway (could hardly be worse)

Some rain :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Absolutely pissing it down at VP

• Advertisement

Raining bullets

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

it's rare that you can actually hear the rain through the tv!

Albrighton loves his tackles!

West Ham making a game of it. Should be 2-1.

Referee doesn't like Carew, missed Green's trip on him, has pulled him up every time he uses his body but giving nothing any time he's pulled/niggled.

Had a long row with him 1st half too.

Let off for Villa there too/

• Advertisement
Advertisement