Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bono-The tightfisted bastard

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

gurramok wrote: »
    I dunno wtf is wrong with Bono.

If i was worth 300m, i couldnt give 2 flying Degsys if it suddenly went down to 200m as a result of my generous donations to helpful causes. Loike come on, who would notice a difference between 300m in wealth and 200m, you'd still be filthy rich!!

If i had 300 quid in my pocket and somebody stopped me in the street and asked me for a euro for a cancer charity,or any charity for that matter,as long as it's legitimate i'm not gonna think twice about it.
    One euro out of 300..the cost of a bag of crisps...extremely unlikey to make a dent in my dosh..AND i dont spend all day telling others they should be giving thier money to charity...yet i'd do it,as i think most people would..except Bono...he donates what is to him,the equivilent of a cigarette butt.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

He should have donated his gob to the homeless, so that they could all use it as a night-shelter.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Degsy wrote: »
    If i had 300 quid in my pocket and somebody stopped me in the street and asked me for a euro for a cancer charity,or any charity for that matter,as long as it's legitimate i'm not gonna think twice about it.
    One euro out of 300..the cost of a bag of crisps...extremely unlikey to make a dent in my dosh..AND i dont spend all day telling others they should be giving thier money to charity...yet i'd do it,as i think most people would..except Bono...he donates what is to him,the equivilent of a cigarette butt.

So, because you'd give €1 to a random Charity geezer in the street, Bono should have to give €1m?

:rolleyes:

By the way, is bono the only Millionaire in the world? It's not as if he gave nothing, he gave a pair of his shades which will fetch a good bit of money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

but like boono is soo coool ya OMG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Seriously, who here would have 300million and couldn't care if 200million went to charity?

There is no difference, it would make zero difference to your every day life. Mark me, if i won 300 million quid tomorrow, i'd probably ending up redistributing most of that excess wealth to charities and the less fortunate and yet still have a filthy rich lifestyle after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Wibbs wrote: »
    Yep, but none of us here are claiming to be better, claiming to be examples. We may be indolent sods looking on the sidelines, but we're not saying we're referees. :)
    In all fairness, the subject of Bono, his tax status, his charity work, his wealth and his preaching is usually brought up by Degsy at least once a month.

Degsy, you preach about the hypocrisy of Bono, yet you never tell us about your own tax status, your charity work, your properties or anything about yourself.

As an opponent of the charity work done by Bono, I'd like to hear how you influence world leaders, how much of your income you donate to charity, and how much time you spend promoting charities. Time spent criticising Bono does not count as charity work, promoting charities or donating money to charities.

Is it time yet to point out that it was U2 ltd. who moved to the Netherlands, and that Bono (Paul Hewson) still pays tax in Ireland?

Over to the uninformed critics to slate someone over tabloid rants.

gurramok wrote: »
    Seriously, who here would have 300million and couldn't care if 200million went to charity?

There is no difference, it would make zero difference to your every day life. Mark me, if i won 300 million quid tomorrow, i'd probably ending up redistributing most of that excess wealth to charities and the less fortunate and yet still have a filthy rich lifestyle after.

Most posters here wouldn't.

And if they said they would, most of them would be lying!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

So you would only give €1 out of €300?
    That's not that much. Jaysis, would you not give at least a fiver?

As for not spending all day telling others how to spend their money, you do spend a fair part of your day telling Bono how to spend his.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

dvpower wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)_per_capita

We're all Bonos compared to the most of the world.

Exactly, what does anyone know about this situation other than hearsay?

Who knows whether or not Bono gives his money to this charity - is it any
    of your bloody business?

a) How do you know he didn't give more but didn't want to let
    everyone know?
    I'm sure if you'd read about him donating X amount of money to charity
    in the papers you'd be insulting & faulting him for
    trying to show off
    & let everyone know he's contributing to charity
    when he could
    just be like everyone else and do it quietly & personally.

b) I don't see any of you saints out at a homeless shelter this evening
    or handing out sandwiches to those people unfortunate enough not to
    get shelter seeing as hostels do fill up.

Oh wait - that's right - I wouldn't know because I don't go off
    judging people based on pretty much no information whatsoever.
    For all I know you could be in a homeless shelter @ the main
    desk/computer posting here - the point is I don't know.
    NEither do any of you know what the man does privately.

This is simply a witch hunt & seeing as I've seen the OP coming out
    with the most childishly ignorant racism before it doesn't surprise me...

c) Bono does nothing for charity but hand over sunglasses eh?
    It's obviously implied by the snide remark of his personal fortune.

http://www.looktothestars.org/celebrity/26-bono
    http://www.looktothestars.org/news/4323-bono-leads-celebrity-psa-for-red-charity
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bono#Humanitarian_work

If you read those links - something I doubt because it'll demolish your whole childish argument - you might learn something about humanity...

This kind of mentality is horrible, attack anyone who puts their head
    above others by doing something good.

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. It must be horrible to be
    so filled with hate for others as to criticize them when they just
    try to offer help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

dvpower wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)_per_capita

We're all Bonos compared to the most of the world.

Wrong. Bono is richer relative to the average Irish person than an Irish person is to the world average. He is richer relative to the poorest Irish person than an Irish person is to the poorest African.

An we are not urging them to pay more tax to fix things up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Yeah yeah whatever....one day Bono will be president, deal with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Most posters here wouldn't.

And if they said they would, most of them would be lying!
    I genuinely think I would. I just wouldn't know what to do with all that money and there'd be no point in it just sitting there. You can be sure I'd spend it on everything I want, and I'd give loads to family and friends, but that would still leave a good wedge untouched and I'm very sure I'd give plenty of that to charity. I think you're being a bit too cynical, and I'm not saying I'd give it to charity to be self-aggrandising - I'd put my own interests first. I'm not saying I'm a philanthropist first and foremost. But I'm not that into material stuff - again, not self back-slapping, just genuinely not into big houses, big cars, flash household stuff, designer gear (apart from the odd few bits and bobs in the case of the latter two).

Although I do take on board the fact that wealth can change people and make them just want more and more.

Has the word "begrudger" and/or any of its derivatives been used yet btw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭CokaColumbo

Bono is a private citizen and can do whatever he wants with his own money. Everybody else, including all the cyber haters, can get lost. My god, Bono gave a pair of shades which might be worth €20,000. That's not too much considering his overall wealth but what percentage of your wealth went to this hospice?

It's still a lot of money and Bono, I'm sure, gives a lot of money to a lot of causes.
    Wibbs wrote: »
    You'll hear someone like the pope go on about the poor while he sleeps in silk sheets surrounded by Raphaels. How many lives would the cost of his daily vestments save? The Dalai Lama travels the world in 5 star hotels feted by the great and the good, yet seeks to reestablish a feudal theocracy with him at the head....

It was only a matter of time before somebody posted a militant anti-religion comment on a thread which has nothing to do with religion. Boards.ie is going to have to come up with some sort of AH Godwin's Law, with Anti-Religious fanaticism replacing Hitler.

Dudess wrote: »
    I genuinely think I would. I just wouldn't know what to do with all that money and there'd be no point in it just sitting there. You can be sure I'd spend it on everything I want, and I'd give loads to family and friends, but that would still leave a good wedge untouched and I'm very sure I'd give plenty of that to charity. I think you're being a bit too cynical, and I'm not saying I'd give it to charity to be self-aggrandising - I'd put my own interests first. I'm not saying I'm a philanthropist first and foremost. But I'm not that into material stuff - again, not self back-slapping, just genuinely not into big houses, big cars, flash household stuff, designer gear (apart from the odd few bits and bobs in the case of the latter two).

Although I do take on board the fact that wealth can change people and make them just want more and more.

No, i'm not being cynical, i'm being realistic!

The posters here would be average people. Do you really think that most Lottery winners (average people of course) would give 66% of their Lotto winnings away?

Not a hope!

If the logic of this thread is to be used, than everyone would already be giving 2/3rds of their money to Charity.

Show me someone on Boards who claims to do this and i'll show you a liar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

MrStuffins wrote: »
    No, i'm not being cynical, i'm being realistic!

The posters here would be average people. Do you really think that most Lottery winners (average people of course) would give 66% of their Lotto winnings away?

Not a hope!

If the logic of this thread is to be used, than everyone would already be giving 2/3rds of their money to Charity.

Show me someone on Boards who claims to do this and i'll show you a liar!

Obviously the argument is that were we to win 300m we would give 200m away because it would no difference to our lifestyle.

If someone on this thread gave 2/3 rds of his normal income away he would end up on the street.

Wrong. Bono is richer relative to the average Irish person than an Irish person is to the world average. He is richer relative to the poorest Irish person than an Irish person is to the poorest African.

An we are not urging them to pay more tax to fix things up.

You've messed up your chan of logic there bud ;)

If Bono, a rich man, is richer to the average Irish person then we have to
    take the Richest average Irish person & compare that to the average
    African. Basically you've taken this out of context (i.e. two extremes) to pedantically
    argue a point to sidetrack what that poster meant.

The point is that to poor African, South American, Korean, etc... people
    the money we have would last them a lifetime. The conflict
    of interest arises because our values are different. They would
    "hypothetically" be happy with all of our money to provide them with
    just plain subsistence while we would balk at the idea.

It's a monstrous reality of the world's economic policies...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Terry wrote: »
    how much of your income you donate to charity,

Well,the govt took 1400 quid off me this month in tax and gave 750 million to overseas aid.

To say nothing of the money given to indiginous causes over here...to say nothing of the money given to keep the health system afloat,keep the facilities for homeless and sick people at least halfway noteworthy in spite of being reminded daily that the country has no more money and people are living on the breadline,in spit of taking a 20% paycut over the last year..i'm still here and still paying tax and i dont have 300 million in the bank.

So i guess you could say i'm giving to charity..just like every taxpayer in this country..of which Bono is not one.

He can talk to "world leaders" all he likes..it bolsters his ego and his public profile but if the man can turn his back so comprehensivly on the country that made him what he is,then in my opinion he's nothing but a hypocrite.

And he's proven himself to be a skinflint as well so he can go to hell as far as i'm concerned,i'm picking up the slack from him not contributing..in other words,Terry,i'm donating more to "charity" than he ever will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

I dont like Bono, i think he is a knob BUT I think he is one of those people who doesnt like people to know how much he gives away. There is nothing worse than people who try to tell as many people as possibly about how much they gave to charity.

Obviously the argument is that were we to win 300m we would give 200m away because it would no difference to our lifestyle.

If someone on this thread gave 2/3 rds of his normal income away he would end up on the street.

Only because you spend your money on things you don't need, Central Heating, Fashionable Clothes, Television, Computers, Broadband.

It's easy to criticise others without looking at yourself dude!

Complete hater Degsy, how sad...

You've done nothing to contribute to the world compared to this man, neither have I.

Hate all you want, it's not reality that you're talking though - remember that..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

BOLLOCKS, you don't know BONO!

Well,the govt took 1400 quid off me this month in tax and gave 750 million to overseas aid.

Isn't it funny how when YOU pay tax, the govt. are taking money off you!

But with Bono it's some sort of Civic Duty!

I've made this point before and i'll make it again. If you could hire an accountant who could ensure that you pay less tax each week and take more money home, you would do it!

And if you say you wouldn't, there's no way i'd believe you. nobody is that stupid!

You reek of bitterness to me!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

In the light of recent events I think it's probably inadvisable to have another random celebrity bash thread so lets leave it at that on this one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement