Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lungworm

Options
  • 13-08-2010 11:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

My labrador is showing signs of lungworm, wont be able to get him to a vet until monday. I know dogs can die from this so i am really worried. Has anybody else had a dog with lungworm, how was it treated and is there anything i can do before monday?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

yep we treated zeus for it last week, you get a syringe and a small bottle of the med's for it and give him 20 mils twice a day that you squirt down their throat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

My labrador is showing signs of lungworm,
    What are his symptoms? Its impossible to detect this unless a faecal exam is done, a radiograph for the presence of an actual worm burden and a clotting profile of his blood (increased Prothrombin). What exactly are you seeing?

The symptoms of Lungworm (Angiostrongylus vasorum) take awhile to present itself. Coughing is the first and can persist for some time. Blood clotting is reduced and can result in a dog bleeding out...but takes a loooong time to get to that stage.

If you're that concerned id be at the vets asap, and the best wormer is something like Milbemax or Advocate which any vet will give you straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭StandardAngel

He has been coughing for the last while and also had diarrhoea, he has also been very down/depressed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Why cant you get him to the vet until Monday?

Ring the vet, there should be a message with emergency contact. If you are that worried bring him this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

plenty of vets open sunday even on limited hours, we treated him with parazole which the vet gave us, he is alot better after a week on it and anti biotics/tabs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement