Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Endura Padded Bib-Knickers - Just wear shorts / top over them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Just wear the bibs and whatever jersey on top. Extra shorts just chafe and get in the way. No underwear under them either, they're meant to be worn next to your skin.

I wore a pair of these through last winter. Well warm enough for me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Just wear the bibs and whatever jersey on top. Extra shorts just chafe and get in the way. No underwear under them either, they're meant to be worn next to your skin.

I wore a pair of these through last winter. Well warm enough for me...

Are they waterproof?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Your skin is waterproof.

Only just starting to ride and today was a wet one, wish I'd not worn as many layers though as I just got soggier and soggier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

robinph wrote: »
    Your skin is waterproof.

Only just starting to ride and today was a wet one, wish I'd not worn as many layers though as I just got soggier and soggier.

Im just looking for the idea gear for XC MTB - for winter / wet weather.
    Also hoping to pick the suitable kit first time.

From the waist up - some wicking material top + a water proof jacket.
    Thats fine.

From the waist down?
    Im torn between bibs and shorts.
    They look a little ghey that Lycra stuff
    The people on this site are saying that the shorts are waterproof/great but noisy. Not perfect though.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=19369

How would these shorts over you bib have done on a day like today?

Im concerned that if Im soaking during a cycle (will change straight away in car afterwards) that it will lead to flu / cold in the colder months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

Bibs are a nightmare if you need to do a piss, they might piss into them on the TdF but I am certainly not into that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

worded wrote: »
    Are they waterproof?

Feel so to me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

worded wrote: »
    Im just looking for the idea gear for XC MTB - for winter / wet weather.
    Getting wet isn't a big deal but it's important that you don't get cold. Make sure you're dressed well and that you don't spend too much time standing around.

Here's what works for me:
    Base layer, thermal layer (if needed), windproof water-resistant jacket
    Good gloves and a cap under your helmet (very important these)
    Thermal bib tights over shorts (full length tights means there's much less mud to get off your legs afterwards)

A rear mudguard makes a big difference when you're riding in extremely wet conditions.
    650Ginge wrote: »
    Bibs are a nightmare if you need to do a piss, they might piss into them on the TdF but I am certainly not into that.
    :confused::rolleyes::confused:

Advertisement