Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning Issues

Options
  • 13-08-2010 11:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭

Is there any chance of having a separate section for Planning Issues with separate threads, rather than the single 'Planning Issues' thread in the Construction & Planning section with all topics mixed together? The issues I am talking about concern the contentious state of the planning situation across the country in relation to inappropriate development and ghost estates etc. rather than more personal planning concerns. Such issues don't belong in the Home & Garden section and they might not be welcomed in the Politics section although it would be more appropriate.

In view of the fact that developers have contributed largely to the property bubble, and there is much to be discussed, perhaps a separate section under Politics might be considered, or is the general Politics area suitable for this type of discussion?

While these issues do get discussed in detail in some of the various regions, they tend to get bumped down the list in favour of less serious concerns such as car boot sales, bridal wear and stray dogs.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

There is forum for making requests for new forums http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=461, aptly named "forum requests"

Poor planning / ghost estates was the result of the section 23 act. Trying to repopulate places like leitrim and Longford by building cheap houses there was fundamently flawed.

I dont thing there are many completed ghost estates in urban areas like Dublin or Cork. other than the ones that were not completed due to financial issues with the construction company

To argue against the once off houses in the country side is something i will fight you to the death over. ;)

I would suggest you pm some of the mods in Construction and planning such as Muffler and ask them if they were interested in Hosting the debate in the forum, although not directly the intention of the C and P forum, its more apt to hold a debate about that there than holdong a debate about whos going to win the Indian cricket league this year.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,614 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Raven,

what you are suggesting would not belong in the "planning issues" stickied thread. It is more of a general "forward planning" debate that you are trying to start up, and which would certainly be welcomed in the C+P forum. You must understand, the C+P forum originally derived from the DIY forum so that gives you an idea as to how it organically grew. I would view the current "planning issues" thread as a thread to deal with specific planning application issues rather than a dissection of the planning system.

Should your thread become popular and informative / lively it is always possible to sticky it in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Raven,

what you are suggesting would not belong in the "planning issues" stickied thread. It is more of a general "forward planning" debate that you are trying to start up, and which would certainly be welcomed in the C+P forum. You must understand, the C+P forum originally derived from the DIY forum so that gives you an idea as to how it organically grew. I would view the current "planning issues" thread as a thread to deal with specific planning application issues rather than a dissection of the planning system.

Should your thread become popular and informative / lively it is always possible to sticky it in the future.

Sydthebeat, thank you for your advice. I now understand how the C+P forum grew, and it serves its purpose very well. However, what I had in mind was not necessarily confined to ‘forward planning’, but a series of debates (not just one thread), focussing on contentious planning applications, and planning decisions, with widespread and inter-related impacts on the public and their environment and quality of life. Such debates also provide an insight into various aspects of the planning system and how it operates, including information on development plans and the Planning and Development Act 2000 etc. and the role of the State and other NGOs in protecting (or not protecting) the Irish built and natural heritage, on local and national levels.

The problem is that it would cover a very wide area for discussion, which would encompass planning, environmental, heritage, and political aspects, and it is difficult to decide what forum would be most suitable.

snyper wrote: »
    There is forum for making requests for new forums http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=461, aptly named "forum requests"

Poor planning / ghost estates was the result of the section 23 act. Trying to repopulate places like leitrim and Longford by building cheap houses there was fundamently flawed.

I dont thing there are many completed ghost estates in urban areas like Dublin or Cork. other than the ones that were not completed due to financial issues with the construction company

To argue against the once off houses in the country side is something i will fight you to the death over. ;)

I would suggest you pm some of the mods in Construction and planning such as Muffler and ask them if they were interested in Hosting the debate in the forum, although not directly the intention of the C and P forum, its more apt to hold a debate about that there than holdong a debate about whos going to win the Indian cricket league this year.

Snyper, thank you for your reply. I will check out the forum in your link. I don't want to get into a discussion on planning issues here on the Feedback forum, but I will get back to you when I find a suitable forum for such debate. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The Raven. wrote: »
    The problem is that it would cover a very wide area for discussion, which would encompass planning, environmental, heritage, and political aspects, and it is difficult to decide what forum would be most suitable.
    I think we may be able to accommodate that but I'll talk to the other mods first and get back to you.

• Advertisement

Thank you Muffler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

I think the kind of discussions the OP wants to see are more suited to Politics -have you asked there Raven ? I suppose we could open in C+P up another sub forum with it's own charter . The C+P forums attract the mostly first time "consumer" of Planning which is not to say that they would not have something to say . But I think the you are looking for "the helicopter view" not the coal-face ?

Sinnerboy, I haven't tried the Politics forum, but I will ask them. I think you are probably right, as it covers a wide area, including politics.

Advertisement