Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Database

• 14-08-2010 12:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi all,
    Anyone knw any useful links for Entity–Relationship (ER) model or has any ideas of how you do it...it would be much appreciated as im a lost cause :confused:...
    Thanks
    Tweety...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3 pb11

Hi Tweety,

Google the keywords "Data Modelling Tutorials" and that will get you started. On first glance, I found the following quite good..
    http://www.databaseanswers.org/tutorial4_data_modelling/index.htm

Data Modeling (process of converting business reqs into ER diagrams and eventually database model) is a art that is mastered over years. If you are lost getting your head around any specific ER tool - tell me the specifics and I might be able to point you to good documentation. If you are looking to pick one, try ErWin / Oracle Designer / Embarcadero / IBM Data Architect, Quest Toad etc etc (depends on the complexity of your requirements).

Post the specifics and I may be able to help you better.

Cheers!
    P.S: look up "Oracle By Example" series on otn.oracle.com for Oracle Designer product. That has some good practice exercises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Depends what you want to do with it, Enterprise, Membership, etc,
    The best plan is to pick something small and develop from there.

ER can be annoying at first but try and keep it straight forward and simple, also at the start try and minimize boolean type logic (Used in excel, if and or statements, This will over complicate your design process) type statements until you have a grasp of the core principals of the process... The main thing if your just starting is to keep it simple.

As for sample's O'Reilly have a great deal of literature covering this, you can log in using an O'Reilly account and get 14 days free access to notes on certain topic's if that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 tweety123

Thanks for your post but its just entity relationship modelling that i need to know,il try looking up O'Reilly literature. Are you famialiar with er yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 tweety123

Thanks for your post, il check it up nw. r u familiar wit entity relationships?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Just what I done in college, most systems are pre-built and have predefined paths and process's, try Oracle or if your loaded.....DB2, If it's and EPOS system you could try CBE in Claremorris Co. Mayo. Sorry I am a bit vague but it's a huge field and most Patterns have been developed elsewhere so there's a good deal of stuff out there to be harnessed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement