Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motorway stragglers. What do you do ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

threatening behaviour perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

corktina wrote: »
    threatening behaviour perhaps?

You'd have an incredibly hard time trying to argue that in court; in front of a judge open-mouthed and unsure of whether you're taking the p1ss or just mental. Unless the person "bullying" you is making gestures of slitting your throat at you, really .... come up with a less lame attempt at invoking the law; or ... perhaps y'know, stay to the left until you're overtaking ...

Lemming wrote: »
    You'd have an incredibly hard time trying to argue that in court; in front of a judge open-mouthed and unsure of whether you're taking the p1ss or just mental. Unless the person "bullying" you is making gestures of slitting your throat at you, really .... come up with a less lame attempt at invoking the law; or ... perhaps y'know, stay to the left until you're overtaking ...

just perhaps...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭markens2

About 6 months ago I was driving on the N4 at Chapelizod at about 4 am.
    There was a person in the overtaking lane and another in the left hand lane both doing 60km. I pulled into the overtaking lane and he didn't move. I flashed the lights once and still no response. I flashed again and nothing. After about 5/6 flashes there was blue lights flashing behind me, thought to myself lovely he'll get a bollockin for this. Not the case. Copper threatened to fine me and give me 2 points for driving without due care and attention.

I asked him why he didn't stop the car in front and he said that he wasn't breaking any law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Breakdown of Penalty Points by Offence Type and County - 2010

PDF on 2010 points issued here: http://www.penaltypoints.ie/assets/pdf/penalty%20point%20offences%20brokendown%20by%20%20type%20%20county%20-%20%20july%202010.pdf

In short:

Breach of motorway outside lane driving rule 835 (-510 no driver number)

Fail to drive on the left hand side 573 (-112 no driver number)

Driving a vehicle while holding a mobile phone 92,766 (-17,446 no driver number)

Cross continuous white line/broken white line 13,543 (-3,400 no driver number)

Speeding 542,604 (-168,102 no driver number)

Use vehicle without nct certificate 1,092 (-1,012 no driver number)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

TJJP wrote: »
    Breakdown of Penalty Points by Offence Type and County - 2010

PDF on 2010 points issued here: http://www.penaltypoints.ie/assets/pdf/penalty%20point%20offences%20brokendown%20by%20%20type%20%20county%20-%20%20july%202010.pdf

In short:

Breach of motorway outside lane driving rule 835 (-510 no driver number)

Fail to drive on the left hand side 573 (-112 no driver number)

Driving a vehicle while holding a mobile phone 92,766 (-17,446 no driver number)

Cross continuous white line/broken white line 13,543 (-3,400 no driver number)

Speeding 542,604 (-168,102 no driver number)

Use vehicle without nct certificate 1,092 (-1,012 no driver number)

Incredible considering the offence of not keeping left is ten times easier to detect and happens ten times more often than someone using a mobile phone. Imagine what the roads would be like if the Gardai put in the same effort with non keep lefters as they do with mobile phone users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Linda123

overtaking lane hogeens are becoming too common. They should only be on lane when overtaking, and should get onto left lane again as soon as safe. I hate when you are on left lane and waiting to get onto right lane cause the car in front is close, but some eegit is on the right lane behind you and wont move off cause they think they own it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭rachaelf750

CAN'T CAN'T CAN'T STAND BEEN UNDERTOOK......IT'S SO DANGEROUS..I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY PEOPLE DO IT!!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

CAN'T CAN'T CAN'T STAND BEEN UNDERTOOK......IT'S SO DANGEROUS..I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY PEOPLE DO IT!!!:eek:

Move to the LEFT then. Where you're supposed to be !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Linda123

you wouldn't be undertook if you were in the correct lane and not blocking the car in the OVERTAKING lane. Who are you to decide the speed limit of a vehicle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

The only way you could be undertaken is if you are driving in the middle/right lane. You are not supposed to be driving in either the middle or the right lane unless you are overtaking. People wouldnt have to undertake you if you knew how to drive properly.

congo_90 wrote: »
    a how To overtake on motorway thread. how original. :rolleyes:

Anyhow rules for overtaking:
    you May pass on the left if the traffic in the right lane is moving slower than the left provided its safe to do so. OR if the car in front is turning right and its safe to do so

This rule really needs to be reworded. Too many people interpret it as "if you are travelling faster than the traffic in the outside lane then you may pass them" which is very much not the case.

If you're a cop, you turn on the blue lights. If not, all the things you did were unlawful and she could have turned you in to the Gardai for trying to bully her,

An advanced driver would have backed off and waited until the way was clear and then overtaken when it was safe to so.

You are not an advanced driver.

Anyone who has spent more than 5 minutes driving on Irish motorways/dual carraigeways knows that if you wait for the moron to move in you will be waiting an awfully long time. Its not against the law to make certain gestures in order to get a driver to move back into the left hand lane, obviously so long as you are not being aggressive.

Its not cool to patronize people when you dont know what you are talking about...

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭tu2j2

If you're a cop, you turn on the blue lights. If not, all the things you did were unlawful and she could have turned you in to the Gardai for trying to bully her,

An advanced driver would have backed off and waited until the way was clear and then overtaken when it was safe to so.

You are not an advanced driver.

I would say this is a more apt description of how to act rather than just backing off.

"Having considered all these matters, and made the judgement that the driver ahead is just perhaps having a lapse in concentration, keep a nice safe distance back and give one flash of your headlights, this lasting for a period of no more than about two seconds. Now wait for about twenty to thirty-seconds to see if you get a response before trying it again. We would recommend that this should be attempted on no more than three occasions, after which you are just going to have to be patient and be content to follow. If you are really smart you will move left and let someone else have a go. After all it won’t be you that is seen as being aggressive in that case, and if the other driver does get a result, you can perhaps take the opportunity to pass also."

Taken from this page http://www.ridedrive.co.uk/tipoffs15.htm

A lot of people would do well to read it, and all the site for that matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Because you drive badly and allow yourself to be in a situation where you can be passed on the left, perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

If they have room to under take you, then you are in the wrong lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Don't have that problem in Oz, we can overtake in any lane.

didnt see all that coming did you!:rolleyes:

A lesson for everyone to examine their own driving...there are loads of drivers I believe who think they are the Best but in fact are worse than those they moan about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Is it not a blatant WUM?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Murt10 wrote: »
    One of the (many) problems with Ireland is that 100kph is the speed limit on a lot of brand new motorways.

Defies belief that we only recently spent so much upgrading the M50, only to drop the speed limit from 120 to 100 kph

There are a load of reasons for the M50 to be 100Km/h, there's half a chance they made the right decision there.

If it's any consolation, to drive the entire length of the M50 from M1 to M11 at 120kph would take 19 minutes. At 100kph it would take 23 minutes. A difference of 4 minutes. I'm sure you can live with it. ;)

Some of the shocking driving I see on the M50 would make me worry if people were going any faster than they do at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

If you drive at 120 you'll have people passing you constantly. No one sticks to the limits. On the M4 recently, and almost every second car was doing 140+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I know I normally do 140 and people still pass me no bother!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭mwexford

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    There is some weird stigma in Ireland about driving in the "slow" lane.

Maybe if the RSA and others got off their collective asses and started screening some "how to drive on a motorway" ads during commercials, we'd get a good thing started.
    And maybe get some unmarked cars to start pulling over people, explain that you're supposed to drive in the inside lane while only using the overtaking lanes WHEN OVERTAKING.
    Of course, that would require, eh, training and money :rolleyes:

I absolutely agree, or even, given how tight money is now, some signage on the actual motorway, pointing out the courtesy (not to mind the legality) of how to use the overtaking lane.

SARASON wrote: »
    I know I normally do 140 and people still pass me no bother!!

but if the limit was 140 what would you be doing?;)

On the M72 through Roskeen (between the traffic lights and the roundabout) you can reach 140 no bother....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,948 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

UNDERTOOK Undertaken.

Move along folks, nothing to see here ... besides the person who doesn't underestand the concept of using the "overtaking" lane :p

Lemming wrote: »
    UNDERTOOK Undertaken.

Move along folks, nothing to see here ... besides the person who doesn't underestand the concept of using the "overtaking" lane :p

actually undertaken is wrong too. Strictly it should be overtaken on the inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I think the point is theres almost zero enforcement of speed limits, on the motorways. That said AFAIK theres not that many accidents on them.

Cruise control is great on these big roads, so you are not watching the speedo all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

As long as the Gardai continue to sit in the hedge with a speed gun nothing is going to change.

I can't understand why they aren't out there dishing out fines and points for hogging the overtaking lane.

But that wouldn't be nice would it :rolleyes: :mad:

I'd imagine the hoards of callers on Joe duffy giving out about it if they were to start enforcing it.

Looking forward to trying this out later on up the M7

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

but if the limit was 140 what would you be doing?;)

On the M72 through Roskeen (between the traffic lights and the roundabout) you can reach 140 no bother....

Skys the limit :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Ok, I was back on the motorway, driving away and again another straggler plodding along doing 100kmph in the overtaking lane.
    I took the advise of a previous poster and drove behind, with a 2 second gap as advertised on the telly, and left my right indicator on , after a few seconds he pulled into the left hand lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

The system works!!!! Spread the word. Hallelujah, praise be to Jebus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Coming back from Galway yesterday on the M6/M4, lane discipline was generally pretty good. One problem we still have, though, is cars staying in the overtaking lane between overtakes, ie where there's enough space for them to pull in, let me past, and then pull out for the next overtake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I use to flash the headlights, then I started trying sitting at a safe distance and putting on the right indicator. Seems to be a fair bit more effective than flashing, and I don't feel so confrontational, so it a win all round. If, after a minute or so the don't pull over, I usually give a quick flash of the lights. Most of the time that' gets their attention. The odd time, when this doesn't work after a couple of goes, I've resorted to carefully (but quickly) overtaking on the left (conditions depending).

Like everyone else here (I'm sure), I've had people gesture at me after they've moved in, and seen plenty of cars move back into the overtaking lane after I've passed. I think every time we set out on a journey, we just need to accept that we share the road with people who haven't a clue what they're doing or why they're doing it, and drive accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

I had a VW Caravelle, Taxi, brake test me on the M1 yesterday.

Charming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

actually undertaken is wrong too. Strictly it should be overtaken on the inside.
    [pedant]
    technically undertake is the correct term. Stems from the verbiage of overlap vs underlap. You undertake in the lane "under" the lane that the lane hogger is in, and overtake in the lane "over" the lane that the person driving correctly is in.

[/pedant]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Actually I was driving from tullamore to dublin via kildare town yesterday. The difference in driving habits before and after naas is ridiculous. I was in the driving lane (unless overtaking) for all the journey. Everyone was using the road correctly untill naas. After naas, I was often the only one in the driving lane (especially on the three lane section).

It was a pleasure driving on the n-whatsit (toward liffey valley from maynooth), everyone observing correct lane discipline, and being kind enough to pull over briefly to let people merge onto the motorway etc.
    Didn't last too long though :p

By the way I was agreeing with the "you're in the wrong lane if you're being undertaken" until I remembered that you're technically undertaking if you're on a slip road exit lane on the far left, and going faster than someone on the leftmost driving lane continuing straight on? those exit lanes go on for a long enough distance
    Am I right there? I used to think of them as separate to the driving/overtaking lanes going straight ahead til someone around here said otherwise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭opti76

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Sometime the driver in front can't see or hear you as they are usually in their own little world, best solution ofr this is to slowly drive right up behind them and give their bumper a little nudge. Soon wakes them up.

Only messing.....feck this omputer, can't change font size...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I get under taken from time to time, basically I am behind a slow coach in the overtaking lane trying to overtake or sometimes behind the car that behind the slow car....you get my gist....

Some guy always come up behind me.....undertakes me and pulls into the space I specifically left for safety between me and the car in front, my breaks go on.....you know the score..its shockwaves back through the traffic

So should I pull in to the 10 milisecond gap in the left lane where everyone is goin 80 khp as opposed to my 100kph and jam on my breaks? even though it the chap in front of the line would pull in we would all be off.....

If refuse to undertake, its the extremely dangerous. BTW the indicator works really well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

RSA correct Motorway Driving Ad,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpQCIAVBJVo

celticbest wrote: »
    RSA correct Motorway Driving Ad,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpQCIAVBJVo

The wording of that video is arseways. "For normal driving you should use the left lane" really should be "for normal driving you must use the left lane". The way they word it sounds more like a suggestion, and in no way indicates that it is a requirement to use the left lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

i have to use the M50 between dundrum and red cow every day to go to work...

usually on the road between 7.45 and 8 or 8.30 and 9am going to work...

every idiot out there crusing along in overtaking lane less than 100kph.. very annoying

i find that most of the time i can beat this by staying in the far left lane and hopping into the middle lane when i need to....

very few people use the outside lane on M50 making it the fastest way to circumnavigate the city :)

• Advertisement

The right indicator only works on other males (drove dub-limerick today) Women remain in the overtaking lane, thinking its just a normal lane like the one on the left.

Scandalous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Mc Love wrote: »
    The right indicator only works on other males (drove dub-limerick today) Women remain in the overtaking lane, thinking its just a normal lane like the one on the left.

Scandalous

Thats the "fast lane" dont you know :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Actually I was driving from tullamore to dublin via kildare town yesterday. The difference in driving habits before and after naas is ridiculous. I was in the driving lane (unless overtaking) for all the journey. Everyone was using the road correctly untill naas. After naas, I was often the only one in the driving lane (especially on the three lane section).

Actually I truly believe that the signage along that section causes a lot of the problems . To people who don't know the road it does appear that the LH lane is for turning off only.

The section of the N4 between M4 and M50 is terrible for this and the LH lane is often totally empty

Education education education , along with some actual policing ( other than sitting behind hedges with ray guns ) The only Garda presence on that section of road ( N4 ) is either the transit van taking photos , or the 3-4 Garda cars having a coffee in the petrol station .

I drove Kildare-Cork rtn on Sunday , Ill be honest I was actually quite surprised at the level of lane discipline , but there were very few HGV's which causes people to be wary about pulling back in to the LH lane ( in case they get stuck )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭deandean

OP I was "educated" by a nice Garda from the Traffic Corps who pulled me in after I undertook a pr%*k driving 90km/h in the overtaking lane of the M50(N). I was told the following:

1. Yes it is a pity to have to pull you over. The other driver is indeed a pr%*k but you weere wrong to undertake.

2. The correct procedure is: Come up behind him. Keep a safe distance. Flash your lights at him. Flash a few times. Use your horn a few times.

3. If the other driver still won't move, pull into the left lane and report the other driver using the Traffic Watch number.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

Sometime the driver in front can't see or hear you as they are usually in their own little world, best solution ofr this is to slowly drive right up behind them and give their bumper a little nudge. Soon wakes them up.

Only messing.....feck this omputer, can't change font size...

Or you could try this...

:D.

• Advertisement
Advertisement